• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

Disney Buys Star Wars, 3 New Films Coming

Rate this topic

So the news hit that made fans of Star Wars both rejoyce and cringe. Walt Disney is the proud new owner of Star Wars and plans on releasing 3 new movies beginning with Episode VII in 2015.

There's been a lot of mixed opinions, but my personal stance is excitement. Considering the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean films and the visual impressiveness of John Carter, I think Star Wars may be in good hands.

I'm excited about what's coming in the future, and I know theres a few SW fans on these boards. Thoughts and opinions of SW going to Disney? Are you excited or dreading the future of the franchise?

Remember... The Force will be with you, always.

The last three Star Wars movies were fun when they came out, but in retrospect, they weren't that good, didn't have memorable long lasting characters unlike their predecessor films, and had a pathetically acted love angle between Anakin and Natalie Portman's character. I can still go back and watch the original movies and say they'll hold up over time. They're fantastic. Not so much for the latter three.

These movies will make tons of money (all the blockbusters do now), and if you're a greedy exec, they're a good idea. But if you want to see good movies which you can re-watch over the years, I doubt this Disney thing will give us that.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Greed can be a powerful ally.

I'm afraid that they'll change them. The original ones were hokey in their own fun, lovable way. The latter three were different- more serious, but tried to be fun. The story line of the first three was more compelling, but the movies themselves weren't as memorable as the original.

The best part of the "prequells" was that we got to see how Vader and the Emperor became who they were. The psychological progression of the characters was the best part of the movies. I fear two things from this latest development.

First- will Disney remain true to the Lucas vision?

Second- assuming the next three movies follow the story arc that Lucas has outlined, will it be anticlimactic? The rise and fall and final redemption of Vader is the real story arc. Sure, we followed Luke during the first movies, but the good versus evil aspect was not the defeat of Vader, but the defeat of the Emperor. Now that the Sith have been destroyed, is there really much worth telling as part of the story arc, or will the next three movies just be a wrap-up for Han/Leia and Luke/Mara Jade and their kids?

I'm trying to keep an open mind. When Episode I came out, I was skeptical, but I grew to love it. I still love Episode III. The execution of order 66 still brings tears to my eyes, especially the execution of Aayla Secura (probably because of the contrast to the beauty of Felucia).

I hope if the do another trilogy that it works with the others and that they keep the Star Wars feel to them.

SPOILER ALERT

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE VII-IX SYNOPSES:

Highlight below to read:

I also don't want to see Chewy die. He's my favourite.

Edited by 55fan

You know, I'm actually feeling kind of hopeful. The franchise already went "Disney" in Return of the Jedi with the Ewoks, and continued that into the Prequels with Jar Jar and a 9-year-old Anakin, so it's not like they're going to screw that part of it up any worse than it already is (unless they make it into a musical or something). Also, George Lucas won't be writing the dialogue or directing it, so that's a plus too (the man has great ideas, but working with actors isn't his strong suit). So yeah, no matter what they do to the upcoming movies, at least they won't be a repeat of the Prequels disasters.

I can see Micky as. The new Emperor and Goofy trying to be the next Luke. Disney is a horrible greedy mega company I hate them.

Funny story. The Disneyland/Disney World stores have little collectible statues of Mickey as a Jedi (Disney partnered with Lucas for the Star Tours ride in their parks). Originally, the first series they did was Mickey as Darth Vader (since Vader is by far the most popular Star Wars character). However, they quickly realized that Vader is a bad guy, and people didn't like the idea of Mickey as a bad guy. So they quickly dropped the Vader/Mickey merchandise, and hastily created the Mickey Jedi collectibles.

220px-Jedi_Mickey.jpg

A few comments from what has been stated by a few already:

-Lucas is still supposed to be involved creatively somehow.

-Episode I was the worst thing that ever came out of star wars.

-Episode II and III, I thought, were actually pretty good.

-I think you enjoy I-III more if you know a lot about the first three.

-I can't believe I read the spoiler alert against my better judgement. I'm going to cry now.

Looking forward to this. My 4 year old daughter when she comes over is begging me always to watch the original three non stop. She loves Luke. On regards to what Disney does with them? Obviously there won't be a spending problem. Revenge of the Sith was my favorite of the new three. Either way loved them growing up as a kid (the original three that is). I had all the toy action figures and a lot of the spaceships. 80's child growing up and all. :P But yeah looking forward to these new movies...

I'd rather see movies tell stories about the Old Republic for example. Or from some Star Wars era where there really where as powerful characters as Vader/Revan etc. where. I have not studied those things that much, but are there enough to tell right after episode VI that is like EPIC enough? Because there are tons of small stories in the Star Wars universe, but story of Revan for example was something massive. I'd want to see something that's huge and epic and a threat that is really really big.

I'd rather see movies tell stories about the Old Republic for example. Or from some Star Wars era where there really where as powerful characters as Vader/Revan etc. where. I have not studied those things that much, but are there enough to tell right after episode VI that is like EPIC enough? Because there are tons of small stories in the Star Wars universe, but story of Revan for example was something massive. I'd want to see something that's huge and epic and a threat that is really really big.

I've read several of the books that take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. From the books that I've read, one character that stands out in that category would be Grand Admiral Thrawn...

thrawn-pellaeon.jpg

(Yes, he's blue with Red Eyes)

The Thrawn Crisis takes place 5 years after the RotJ, where the Rebel Alliance has established the New Republic, and the remnants of the Empire are broken and scattered. Thrawn, an absolute military genius, begins to resurrect the Imperial forces and threatens to destroy the New Republic and reestablish the Empire. He fits the description of a powerful and memorable character, though he's not able to use the Force like Vader, the Emperor, etc.

The only problem with the Thrawn Crisis, is that it takes place so soon after RotJ. Since it will be well over 30 years since RotJ was filmed, most of the original cast is too old to play the same characters as only 5 years older. So Disney would need to re-cast many (if not all) of the original cast, which is a VERY risky venture.

I've read several of the books that take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. From the books that I've read, one character that stands out in that category would be Grand Admiral Thrawn...

thrawn-pellaeon.jpg

(Yes, he's blue with Red Eyes)

The Thrawn Crisis takes place 5 years after the RotJ, where the Rebel Alliance has established the New Republic, and the remnants of the Empire are broken and scattered. Thrawn, an absolute military genius, begins to resurrect the Imperial forces and threatens to destroy the New Republic and reestablish the Empire. He fits the description of a powerful and memorable character, though he's not able to use the Force like Vader, the Emperor, etc.

The only problem with the Thrawn Crisis, is that it takes place so soon after RotJ. Since it will be well over 30 years since RotJ was filmed, most of the original cast is too old to play the same characters as only 5 years older. So Disney would need to re-cast many (if not all) of the original cast, which is a VERY risky venture.

Interesting information, definitely. Thanks. Although as we know, armies and their guns are nothing compared to the Force.

Unless you've got something like this...

StarForgeSucksGas-KOTOR1.jpg

Guest RedWingsDad

I predict scenes where lightsabers are turned on as dramatic lens flare events that has the effect of a flash bomb on the theatre audience. Law suits from partial or full lens flare induced blindness will bankrupt Disney.

I predict scenes where lightsabers are turned on as dramatic lens flare events that has the effect of a flash bomb on the theatre audience. Law suits from partial or full lens flare induced blindness will bankrupt Disney.

3oea3s.jpg

JJ Abrams perfectly sums up exactly what I think about this young generation of creators, be it movies or music or whatever. They loved quality stuff growing up, but didn't know exactly why it was quality stuff (we kinda don't discuss the merits of things, we just praise it and like to sorta figure it out on our own). So when these kids grow up they try to emulate what they saw and can replicate the easy stuff like visuals, but not the truly difficult stuff (quality content). Hence why we get JJ Abrams trying to be Lil' Spielberg cramming his movies full of the lens flare that's pervaded his memory since childhood, but not much of the quality Spielberg had underneath the surface. Or we have Zack Snyder directing garbage films when he's basically a glorified visual designer who makes 20 minute music videos stretched out over 90 minutes. Or Joss Whedon who seems to have everyone fooled by producing novelties and guilty pleasures and parading them as decent movies/tv shows. His writing and stories plain suck and I can't even be nice about it. Even Del Toro is a little overrated. He's got fun and imaginative landscapes and creatures but his stories and pacing bore me to death.

All flash, hardly any substance. Makes me appreciate guys like Fincher and the Nolan brothers that much more.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Will these people ever learn?

Star Wars wasn't about flashy highbudget effects and tons of lens flare stuff, it was about creating a living universe with tons of great story twists and special characters. Somehow this whole debacle is reminding of the Simpsons from the past till now (like they are two completely different cartoons).

Or Joss Whedon who seems to have everyone fooled by producing novelties and guilty pleasures and parading them as decent movies/tv shows. His writing and stories plain suck and I can't even be nice about it.

You say anything bad about Firefly, and I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you...*

As far as how bad the new series will be, I'm torn. Honestly, I can't see them being any worse than Attack of the Clones, so there's still a little hope. But there's no way they could ever hold a candle to the original trilogy.

*See my avy/sig combo. Yes, that's a Firefly quote.

I agree with whoever said Star Wars wasn't about budgets, it was about creating a large living breathing story universe. At first I thought someone like Duncan Jones or Neil Blompkamp would've done a good job and I still think they're more talented than JJ Abrams, but then it occured to me-Peter Jackson does a pretty good job at adapting the universe of someone else. It's when he strays away that he becomes a little mediocre but he picked up LotR and ran with it. He seems to be able to give off that feel that the character and story is part of a world bigger than what you're seeing. That'd be perfect for Star Wars.

I think the problem also is partly us. We'll forever want that fun child-like feeling we got when we first saw Ep 4. It won't happen. I think the best we can do is not give it so much Hollywood sheen and keep it simple. Peter Jackson I think would've done the world some good but then again, maybe his name would've been too big, almost in the way that some actors are bigger than the movie they're making and it takes important focus away from the film itself.

I don't know how much worse they could do than Jar Jar Binks. I think Disney will do a good job, look at pirates, and the avengers, they were great movies. I think they will give star wars their own little twist but ultimately it will be much better than the prequels, I am pretty excited. I was upset and nervous at first, but it is happening like it or not so I may as well be excited :)

+1 to Firefly being awesome. Some of the best ensemble acting I've seen in any genre. Downright shiny. Nice to see a fellow browncoat here.

this.

screw fox

I call bust. Disney will make it even worse than the prequels.

Is that possible? I swear I wanted to kill the stupid longneck animal everytime he had something to say. When we are looking at some typical Disney movies it goes like:

1. introduce the characters (serious, funny and clumsy guys)

2. introduce the enemies

3. 2 - 3 loveable (1%) - bad songs (99 %)

So I am looking forward to some high expensive effects, bad stories, Skywalker and Obi-Wan doing some sing along and worse than that another longneck animal...