• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Petr Mrazek making some noise with his start in GRR

Rate this topic

http://griffinshockey.com/news/releases/?article_id=2283

Rookie netminder Petr Mrazek made 24 saves to backstop the Griffins (5-4-1-1) to their first home win and improve his personal record to 3-0, marking the third-best debut ever for a Grand Rapids goalie. Only Ty Conklin (2011-12) and Mathieu Chouinard (2000-01) enjoyed better starts (5-0) in a Griffins uniform than Mrazek, who currently ranks third in the AHL in both goals against average (1.30) and save percentage (0.954).

Good stuff!!! Awesome to see the Griffs using him now.

I saw him on Sunday, he looked great. He seems to have a little trouble with rebound control, but that's something he can learn over time. He has great instincts, and looks really comfortable in there.

I saw him on Sunday, he looked great. He seems to have a little trouble with rebound control, but that's something he can learn over time. He has great instincts, and looks really comfortable in there.

Absolutely, some time with a good goalie coach and development while in the AHL and it can easily be improved. I've always heard he is pretty dang fast and his movement is smooth. I'm loving it!

Howard had a ridiculous amount of trouble with rebound control, too. The Griffs and Wings know how to train that out of a goalie.

Guest The Axe

Had? As exceptional of a goalie Jimmy is, that is his biggest weakness IMO.

Yup. Howard is pretty decent all around, but he gives up BIG rebounds.

Had? As exceptional of a goalie Jimmy is, that is his biggest weakness IMO.

As good as Jimmy has been the last couple seasons, he isn't an exceptional goalie yet. An exceptional goalie means he has to be consistent. Exceptional would be Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Chris Osgood, etc. Longevity in the league and that kind of thing.

I don't look at it as much of rebound control, because every goalie gives up bad rebounds through the course of a game and season. Its the ability to be consistently solid, win big games, and cement yourself as a big game goalie that puts you in the upper eschelon. Jimmy is climbing the ladder, but he is not in the exceptional category yet. Maybe good or great, but not exceptional.

[/font][/color]

One of these things is not like the others...

PS: Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree with the rest of your argument.

Hehe, look at the stats, cup wins, and so on. Osgood was one of the best. Howard is no Osgood.

Guest The Axe

He might even be coming for their jobs :ninja:

Ha! They're safe over there with their jobs.

Howard's rebound control was atrocious up until a couple years ago and then he broke out and look at him now. Definitely see a future just as bright for Mrazek. His quickness is phenominal as well from all the times i saw him play.

Guest Johnz96

Howard's rebound control was atrocious up until a couple years ago and then he broke out and look at him now. Definitely see a future just as bright for Mrazek. His quickness is phenominal as well from all the times i saw him play.

Mrazek is so much better than Howard was as a Griff and is also much younger than Howard was when he became pro. I've watched a lot of him since being drafted and this kid is special.

This is exactly what i was thinking too. Get him some play time in Gr, and when he gets into the NHL with the great goal coaches we have this guy is going to be awesome. (hopefully)