• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Sheahan arrested for "superdrunk" driving

Rate this topic

Some people just can't stand success I guess.

Hell, if I had the opportunity he had, I would be working out and pushing myself to be the best damn hockey player I could. Drinking? Maybe after I turn 21. What a dumbass.

Meh.

I can say that too as an adult and with the "wisdom" that comes with age, but if I am being honest with myself, I would almost assuredly still do stupid s*** occasionally, like all kids do. Additionally, that last part is just silly, like drinking at 20 or whatever is horrible and will destroy your career and/or body, but at 21 it magically won't.

Not to downplay the incident, as drunk driving is stupid as f***, but to all the people talking about alcohism and diseases and whatnot, come on... He got a DUI. I am sure almost all of here that drink have, at some point in our life, driven home from a bar/party/friends house/wedding/whatever after a couple too many. That doesn't automatically make one an alcoholic. It just makes one someone who made a stupid decision while drunk.

Edited by sleepwalker

Guest The Axe

Meh.

I can say that too as an adult and with the "wisdom" that comes with age, but if I am being honest with myself, I would almost assuredly still do stupid s*** occasionally, like all kids do. Additionally, that last part is just silly, like drinking at 20 or whatever is horrible and will destroy your career and/or body, but at 21 it magically won't.

Not to downplay the incident, as drunk driving is stupid as f***, but to all the people talking about alcohism and diseases and whatnot, come on... He got a DUI. I am sure almost all of here that drink have, at some point in our life, driven home from a bar/party/friends house/wedding/whatever after a couple too many. That doesn't automatically make one an alcoholic. It just makes one someone who made a stupid decision while drunk.

I agree with you 100%.

Are we seeing the absence of true leadership. would this of happened with Lids or Stevie over looking?

Bob Probert was a cocaine addict under Stevie's true leadership. And I recall Chelios getting a DUI under Nick's true leadership. Come on. The individuals who are at fault take responsibility for their own actions.

Exactly. And they played directly under Yzerman’s captaincy. Since when is the captain of the NHL club responsible for barely-sophomore behaviour on the farm?

We don't even have a captain currently, and our expected captain is in Switzerland. Lets blame Mike Babcock this time. The coach is supposed to tell the boys not to drink and drive in the off-season. I guess this offseason just went a little too long for some to hold out on a little stupidity.

There is no excuse for this. He knows better. It suck because he is a wings player and I want to defend him, but in this case I really can't. Its one thing to put yourself in danger while abusing substances (thats more of a personal choice) but drunk driving puts anyone and everyone on the streets around you in danger. We are all quick to rip on Pat Kane for getting too drunk with high school friends, this is a lot worse. This is the beginning of Riley's career, lets hope that this isn't a sign of things to come...

There is no excuse for this. He knows better. It suck because he is a wings player and I want to defend him, but in this case I really can't. Its one thing to put yourself in danger while abusing substances (thats more of a personal choice) but drunk driving puts anyone and everyone on the streets around you in danger. We are all quick to rip on Pat Kane for getting too drunk with high school friends, this is a lot worse. This is the beginning of Riley's career, lets hope that this isn't a sign of things to come...

No "we" weren't. Speak for yourself. Drinking and driving is bad, But people f*** up, learn their lesson, and move on all the time. Hopefully this kid will too. If not, then he actually has a problem, rather than just being a dumbass kid (which is what I'll assume he, and Kane, are until they grow up or do something really bad).

Edited by kipwinger

Guest The Axe

He might have gotten away with it had he not been driving the wrong way on a 1 way street in downtown Grand Rapids. Hahah. Caught the story on the local news.

Cops tend to frown on wrong way driving.

He might have gotten away with it had he not been driving the wrong way on a 1 way street in downtown Grand Rapids. Hahah. Caught the story on the local news.

That's some funny stuff right there. Really he should have just left his car at home if he was gonna go for a night out on the town and cabbed it.

Guest The Axe

That's some funny stuff right there. Really he should have just left his car at home if he was gonna go for a night out on the town and cabbed it.

Seems like almost no one can follow this simple concept.

No "we" weren't. Speak for yourself. Drinking and driving is bad, But people f*** up, learn their lesson, and move on all the time. Hopefully this kid will too. If not, then he actually has a problem, rather than just being a dumbass kid (which is what I'll assume he, and Kane, are until they grow up or do something really bad).

Wow, people getting pissy on these boards lately. I'm gonna say this: driving drunk isn't simply a lesson you learn and move on. You shouldn't have to learn a lesson by putting people in danger. I never learned not to drink and drive through screwing up and doing it. They preach this stuff to kids from an elementary school age and if you still do it you are dumb as f*** and it shows you have little foresight for the safety of others. This makes it seem as though the expense and inconvenience of calling a cab was not worth the risk of people's lives he put in danger. If all "dumbass kids" did this we would be in huge trouble. Not to mention he then provided false information to the authorities...

I've seen plenty of people drive the wrong way down tha street stone cold sober. Not excusing him in anyway because its reckless and idiotic, but it seems like a tough street for a lot of people for whatever reason.

As soon as the article I read said "wrong way" and "downtown" I knew exactly, haha.

That said, real bonehead move from the kid. A lot of them seem to live only a couple of blocks from the arena, he should have slept it off or called a cab. No excuse for drinking and driving.

Wow, people getting pissy on these boards lately. I'm gonna say this: driving drunk isn't simply a lesson you learn and move on. You shouldn't have to learn a lesson by putting people in danger. I never learned not to drink and drive through screwing up and doing it. They preach this stuff to kids from an elementary school age and if you still do it you are dumb as f*** and it shows you have little foresight for the safety of others. This makes it seem as though the expense and inconvenience of calling a cab was not worth the risk of people's lives he put in danger. If all "dumbass kids" did this we would be in huge trouble. Not to mention he then provided false information to the authorities...

Sanctimonious much? I'll go ahead and assume that you've never been drunk and drove, or been tipsy and drove, or been legally drunk and but felt fine and drove.

The kid f***ed up, it's not an uncommon screw up, and he's not a s***ty person or a dangerous degenerate or anything else. He's just a stupid kid who made a mistake and got caught. Now he gets to pay for it.

I've seen plenty of people drive the wrong way down tha street stone cold sober. Not excusing him in anyway because its reckless and idiotic, but it seems like a tough street for a lot of people for whatever reason.

^^ This. I've had this happen to me while sober in Chicago (not a great place to drive on the wrong side of the road lol). But my sobriety also helped me correct the situation ASAP. Accidents happen, but drunk driving increases that risk. I know I sound like a M.A.D.D. groupie, but it's a simple fact. I'm in my mid-30's, I've driven while not in good shape, and everyone I hung out with did the same things. But we were between 16-20 and it was dumb as hell. Every time I see a smart, up-and-coming athlete pull this garbage, I just hope I'm not on the same road they are.

Opposite side of the coin: He's still young and yes, alcoholism is a disease, and I hope he doesn't have an alcohol problem. But having listened to a lot of junior players over the years (my friends parents were billitts), being a steady drinker is extremely common and we're talking 14-16 year olds. Scary prospect, but it's in the hockey culture (and elsewhere, not picking on hockey).

Yes, everyone makes mistakes (god knows I made PLENTY at Riley's age)... but the issue people forgiving Sheahan aren't grasping is that while plenty of people do stupid things while their young, Riley endangered not only himself, but the people around him. I've been on-my-butt drunk plenty of times, but not one of those times did I ever sit behind the wheel. It isn't hard for you (or the establishment you're drinking at... or the DD at a party) to call a cab (and if you say the cab is too expensive, you probably can't afford your alcohol tab you just racked up). Don't you guys have loved ones (or at least care about yourselves)? I mean, double the legal limit or more is BAD NEWS BEARS. If I lived in Grand Rapids, I wouldn't want him driving in that state with my wife on the road, too...

Now, am I saying damn him to hell? Not hardly. Do I want him out of the Red Wings organ-i-zation? No (assuming he turns his act around in short order). But don't make excuses for the kid, either. Second offense - he already got his warning. I hope he doesn't get coddled by the law 'cause he's a big-shot hockey player and gets the book thrown at him so he learns the hard way (like most of us had to do).

Yes, everyone makes mistakes (god knows I made PLENTY at Riley's age)... but the issue people forgiving Sheahan aren't grasping is that while plenty of people do stupid things while their young, Riley endangered not only himself, but the people around him. I've been on-my-butt drunk plenty of times, but not one of those times did I ever sit behind the wheel. It isn't hard for you (or the establishment you're drinking at... or the DD at a party) to call a cab (and if you say the cab is too expensive, you probably can't afford your alcohol tab you just racked up). Don't you guys have loved ones (or at least care about yourselves)? I mean, double the legal limit or more is BAD NEWS BEARS. If I lived in Grand Rapids, I wouldn't want him driving in that state with my wife on the road, too...

Now, am I saying damn him to hell? Not hardly. Do I want him out of the Red Wings organ-i-zation? No (assuming he turns his act around in short order). But don't make excuses for the kid, either. Second offense - he already got his warning. I hope he doesn't get coddled by the law 'cause he's a big-shot hockey player and gets the book thrown at him so he learns the hard way (like most of us had to do).

I don't think anyone is suggesting that drunk driving is in any way OK. But it is just a dumb mistake. Alcohol impairs your judgement, so drinking responsibly usually means planning ahead; something young people are notorious for not doing. It seems he enjoys a party, so a .17-ish BAC isn't necessarily fall-down drunk. It could have had tragic consequences; fortunately it didn't. Hopefully, the legal process will serve its purpose and he'll learn his lesson. Throwing the book at him would mean jail time. I don't think his history suggests that is warranted.

I gotta say, this is pretty disappointing. There are a lot of circumstances where I could cut him some slack - if his BAC was borderline, if it was the first time he'd gotten arrested, if he'd had a bad childhood and needed some extra help getting his life in order. I can't say anything either way on that last one, but he's not making any points with me on the first two. If his first run-in with the law didn't make an impression, how many times is it going to take for him to clean up his act? I want to see him change, of course, but if I were the Wings brass, my patience would be wearing thin at this point.