• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Sheahan arrested for "superdrunk" driving

Rate this topic

There is no excuse for this.

The kid should know better, especially since he as been in trouble for drinking related offenses in the past. Someone with so much to look forward to in the future should be making better choices than this, and not putting peoples lives at risk.

I honestly can't believe how much stone throwing is going on here. Who knew LGW was so full of morally, ethically, and behaviorally PERFECT individuals? I know I screwed up a lot in my youth, then learned my lessons and got over it. How lucky for all of you that you've never done anything wrong or irresponsible before. Nothing to get over. Easy.

Here's hoping Riley (and the rest of us degenerates) can one day live up to the high bar that you've set for us. Lord knows you'll all be there waiting to point a finger and give us a good old fashioned self-righteous sermon if we don't.

Had a long response typed up that was probably entirely too personal. Moral of the story for me is that yes, I get being young and dumb--I once firmly fell into that category and made some monumentally bad decisions--BUT sanctimonious or not, there is a lot at stake when someone makes the decision to drink and drive. The fact that this is the kid's second go round with this situation is unfortunate. Some people don't get to screw up a second time.

Had a long response typed up that was probably entirely too personal. Moral of the story for me is that yes, I get being young and dumb--I once firmly fell into that category and made some monumentally bad decisions--BUT sanctimonious or not, there is a lot at stake when someone makes the decision to drink and drive. The fact that this is the kid's second go round with this situation is unfortunate. Some people don't get to screw up a second time.

Public intoxication and OWI are two very different things. This is not a second offense.

Public intoxication and OWI are two very different things. This is not a second offense.

I was referring to it being his second alcohol-related offense, but you're right--they are two very different situations. I don't really fault him for the first, just hope this does not become a pattern that continues to escalate for him.

Drunk/impaired driving is wrong, make no doubt about it. But people get on their high horse about this issue like none other, when virtually EVERY person who has ever drank at a bar and then driven home has probably broken DWI laws to some degree. And if you don't drink, but use your smartphone while driving every once in awhile, don't try to tell me you're any better than a drunk driver, either.

Sheahan did a bad thing, and the law will punish him for it to the extent sorted out by the system. If it happens again, we can start to talk about a pattern. But the way people "discard" people with a DWI as if they must be "alcoholics" bothers me, even if the underlying offense IS wrong. You don't have be an alcoholic or chronic screw-up to make a mistake.

Drunk/impaired driving is wrong, make no doubt about it. But people get on their high horse about this issue like none other, when virtually EVERY person who has ever drank at a bar and then driven home has probably broken DWI laws to some degree. And if you don't drink, but use your smartphone while driving every once in awhile, don't try to tell me you're any better than a drunk driver, either.

Sheahan did a bad thing, and the law will punish him for it to the extent sorted out by the system. If it happens again, we can start to talk about a pattern. But the way people "discard" people with a DWI as if they must be "alcoholics" bothers me, even if the underlying offense IS wrong. You don't have be an alcoholic or chronic screw-up to make a mistake.

Well that's probably the most reasonable thing I've seen written on the issue. Well done.

Guest The Axe

Driving the wrong way drunk down a one way street is like scoring on your own net in OT during the playoffs - you just don't do it

Kevin Lowe hates you. Ha!

Hahaha The only one that needs to do some growing up is LGW

Before you judge this kid realize that drunk driving is not only VERY COMMON, but over 99% of the time nobody dies!

• An estimated 112 million Americans drove drunk in 2010 (about 1 out of 3 Americans)
  • Only .009% of drunk driving ends in a fatality (you're 3x more likely to willing kill yourself than you're to get killed by a drunk driver or drunk driving)
  • 99.7% of drunk drivers get home safely without even being pulled over
  • Average drunk driver (that gets caught) will drive drunk at least 80 times before their first arrest

Not trying to justify drinking and driving, it's still a stupid mistake to make, but that's what it is: A MISTAKE. Not some huge moral dilemma. It also has nothing to do with hockey and in no way effects his ability to skate on frozen water and shoot rubber. Frankly, I'm glad we finally have some drinkers on the team. We need more rough and tumble heavy drinking types in the lineup.

Golden boy Smith is a bit of a barfly too. So let's all be fair and start criticizing his personal life as well. The other night Brendan showed up to a bar drunk in GR and tried to fight the bouncer when the bouncer wouldn't let him in... mind you the bar had already been closed for almost an hour when the tipsy, angry, confused Smitty showed up.

I mostly feel bad for Riley in all of this honestly. That dumb decision he made while inebriated is going to be a huge pain in his butt for the next year at least. Bye bye drivers license and alcohol!

Oh, and to whom ever brought up "alcoholism", you need to spend less time on your computer and more time at the bar. Did you even see his BAC? The only "superdrunk" alcoholic with a BAC that low would have to be an 80lb girl who just gave blood.

This was totally expected though, the kid is Canadian and Irish for petes sake!

Cheers Riley

EDIT: Stats courtesy of MADD

Edited by number9

Hahaha The only one that needs to do some growing up is LGW

Before you judge this kid realize that drunk driving is not only VERY COMMON, but over 99% of the time nobody dies!

• An estimated 112 million Americans drove drunk in 2010 (about 1 out of 3 Americans)
  • Only .009% of drunk driving ends in a fatality (you're 3x more likely to willing kill yourself than you're to get killed by a drunk driver or drunk driving)
  • 99.7% of drunk drivers get home safely without even being pulled over
  • Average drunk driver (that gets caught) will drive drunk at least 80 times before their first arrest

Not trying to justify drinking and driving, it's still a stupid mistake to make, but that's what it is: A MISTAKE. Not some huge moral dilemma. It also has nothing to do with hockey and in no way effects his ability to skate on frozen water and shoot rubber. Frankly, I'm glad we finally have some drinkers on the team. We need more rough and tumble heavy drinking types in the lineup.

Golden boy Smith is a bit of a barfly too. So let's all be fair and start criticizing his personal life as well. The other night Brendan showed up to a bar drunk in GR and tried to fight the bouncer when the bouncer wouldn't let him in... mind you the bar had already been closed for almost an hour when the tipsy, angry, confused Smitty showed up.

I mostly feel bad for Riley in all of this honestly. That dumb decision he made while inebriated is going to be a huge pain in his butt for the next year at least. Bye bye drivers license and alcohol!

Oh, and to whom ever brought up "alcoholism", you need to spend less time on your computer and more time at the bar. Did you even see his BAC? The only "superdrunk" alcoholic with a BAC that low would have to be an 80lb girl who just gave blood.

This was totally expected though, the kid is Canadian and Irish for petes sake!

Cheers Riley

EDIT: Stats courtesy of MADD

Nice disclaimer..seems like that is exactly what you are doing.

Made sure to add it after the way everyone reacted to the initial news. I've lost friends and family to drunk driving so I understand it's a sensitive subject, but this kid is not huge F*** Up moral degenerate because of it. It's a common mistake that once in a while has disastrous consequences. It happens to the best of us. His career is not over because of it.

He's lucky he didn't hurt himself or someone else. I hope he learns his lesson and doesn't do it again

No, advocating something requires an endorsement of the action. He's merely providing the lgw community with statistical evidence that indicates Sheehan posed less of a risk than some here are indicating. I don't think anyone is saying OWI presents no danger, it is dangerous.

I just want everyone to ask themselves something. When ascertaining culpability, do you consider the intent and state of mind of the person? Most people see an intentional act as different from an accident just as we hold someone who is mentally impaired to be less responsible for their actions than someone who has their faculties about them? Granted, Riley was certainly responsible for putting himself in such a state in the first place. This does not change the fact that he legitimately believed he was going to make it home without hurting anyone. Otherwise, he wouldn't have gotten behind the wheel. He may have been misguided in his belief, but let's not turn this into a speculative debate regarding his moral makeup.

Not to mention, none of us have all of the facts. Breathalyzers can be frighteningly imprecise. It is not clear how long it was between sheehan's last drink and the BAC analysis. The presence of mouth alcohol can cause drastic fluctuations in the Breathalyzer's measurements. If one has consumed a drink within 15-20 minutes of breath analysis their BAC will be much higher than it really is. Burps are another common source of "mouth alcohol". Also when one considers everyone has a different body chemistry and tolerance, none of us can claim to be fully informed.

Either way, this situation only proves why drinking to excess sucks. I prefer more natural forms of intoxication. When I go out to the bar with my friends I'll nurse one or two beers for the whole night while laughing at the drunks making asses of themselves. When the night's over I do't have to worry about how I'm going to get back home.

He also had Smith's ID in his wallet, used it to get into bars and then gave it to the arresting officer. It just makes him look incredibly moronic.

If you're going out with the intention of drinking, leave the car at home!

Sigh, this looks bad on Brendan also... he's a leader for the Griffs and a leading prospect looking to enter his first year of the big leagues. He supplied Riley with his ID in order to get into bars... and riley admitted to it. Man.... this is not good.

Sigh, this looks bad on Brendan also... he's a leader for the Griffs and a leading prospect looking to enter his first year of the big leagues. He supplied Riley with his ID in order to get into bars... and riley admitted to it. Man.... this is not good.

And this is why we let our boys mature in the minors. Riley certainly isn't ready it seems. Smith was just helping his pal...but still I hope he learns from this as well.

Not to be devil's advocate or anything, but it is not fair to automatically assume Smith supplied Sheahan with his ID. Riley could have easily gone into his equipment bag and taken it out for the night wihtout Brendan's knowledge. Two entirely different situations.

borrowing ID's is so common, doubt he would've stolen it