• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#121 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Tatar is better than Emmerton, like others have stated, if it was not a risk to send him to the minors Emmerton would already be there, ala Ritola.
Ritola, btw, career gp43 g4 a5 p9 and as of November 9, 2011 no longer plays in the NHL compared to...
Emmerton career gp73 g7 a4 p14, meaning it takes Emmerton 5.2 game/point vs Ritola 4.7 game/point.
Tootoo is on 3.8 game/point, playing his entire career with Nashville, a team that produced more goals than Detroit 1 time (06-07) in his career.
Goals Det Nash
03-04 255 216
05-06 301 253
06-07* 252 266
07-08 252 227
08-09 289 207
09-10 223 217
10-11 257 213
11-12 239 232

Emmerton makes a good black ace.
Tootoo is a good 4th liner and a top of the league agitator.
Not to mention at all the differences in each others hitting game.

#122 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I imagine Axe is laughing his buns off right now, buns that must be quite large by now, what with all the people feeding him on this topic

Just more of a fan of speed. Give Emmerton Hudlers minutes and linemates, and he will produce.

#123 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Just more of a fan of speed. Give Emmerton Hudlers minutes and linemates, and he will produce.

So you're saying we send Emmerton to Calgary? I'm down with that.

#124 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

Emmerton won't even be on the main roster when the lockout ends.

bringit.jpg

#125 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

As far as I'm concerned, we should have a big bearded thug playing on the 4th line, ahead of either Emmerton or any AHL'ers whose names I can't pronounce.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#126 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

As far as I'm concerned, we should have a big bearded thug playing on the 4th line, ahead of either Emmerton or any AHL'ers whose names I can't pronounce.

How many times do I have to tell you, the Wings increasingly anemic powerplay is their enforcer.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#127 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Tatar is better than Emmerton, like others have stated, if it was not a risk to send him to the minors Emmerton would already be there, ala Ritola.
Ritola, btw, career gp43 g4 a5 p9 and as of November 9, 2011 no longer plays in the NHL compared to...
Emmerton career gp73 g7 a4 p14, meaning it takes Emmerton 5.2 game/point vs Ritola 4.7 game/point.
Tootoo is on 3.8 game/point, playing his entire career with Nashville, a team that produced more goals than Detroit 1 time (06-07) in his career.
Goals Det Nash
03-04 255 216
05-06 301 253
06-07* 252 266
07-08 252 227
08-09 289 207
09-10 223 217
10-11 257 213
11-12 239 232

Emmerton makes a good black ace.
Tootoo is a good 4th liner and a top of the league agitator.
Not to mention at all the differences in each others hitting game.

Tootoo gets more ice time than Emmerton. Tootoo had 1013 minutes of ice time last year and Emmerton only had 533, of course Tootoo is going to score more.
That being said Tootoo brings a physical element to the table that Emmerton does not.

Edited by Johnz96, 09 December 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#128 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

How many times do I have to tell you, the Wings increasingly anemic powerplay is their enforcer.

Well, there's no telling what our powerplay will look like in 2014.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#129 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. This is a HOCKEY site.....you know that right?
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#130 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well, there's no telling what our powerplay will look like in 2014.

Actually just look at the ex-Wings that will be available and make lines accordingly.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#131 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Tootoo gets more ice time than Emmerton. Tootoo had 1013 minutes of ice time last year and Emmerton only had 533, of course Tootoo is going to score more.
That being said Tootoo brings a physical element to the table that Emmerton does not.

I'm beyond believing that this isn't a grasp at trolling folks on this board into arguments (which surprisingly is working quite effectively), so my response is geared more towards the individuals who actually believe that points per time on ice is an effective means of comparison between players, and not so much the person I'm quoting, or The Axe. This argument pops up pretty regularly as to why players who play alongside Datsyuk and Zetterberg who score X points/TOI should be replaced by fourth liners who score >X points/TOI.
In short, the whole notion is bulls*** and fails to consider quality of opposition, what style of play the individual is most effective at, and what the team's needs are. Emmerton lacks the skill-set to play against the quality of opposition that Tootoo is often against. Put Emmerton on the third line or second line, and watch the line crumble and everyone's stats suffer as a result. Hudler is also not a 1st line player, despite countless arguments using primarily his points/TOI that have surfaced on this forum. He doesn't have the muscle to be effective in the trenches that you need against top-pairing defensmen. He doesn't have the speed to outmaneuver the opposition's best. Put him on a top line, and again, watch the entire line suffer. I read folks' attempts to use this as a legitimate argument (as opposed to a shameless trolling) so many times each season, and every time it makes me shake my head.

Edited by Echolalia, 09 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#132 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'm beyond believing that this isn't a grasp at trolling folks on this board into arguments (which surprisingly is working quite effectively), so my response is geared more towards the individuals who actually believe that points per time on ice is an effective means of comparison between players, and not so much the person I'm quoting, or The Axe. This argument pops up pretty regularly as to why players who play alongside Datsyuk and Zetterberg who score X points/TOI should be replaced by fourth liners who score >X points/TOI.
In short, the whole notion is bulls*** and fails to consider quality of opposition, what style of play the individual is most effective at, and what the team's needs are. Emmerton lacks the skill-set to play against the quality of opposition that Tootoo is often against. Put Emmerton on the third line or second line, and watch the line crumble and everyone's stats suffer as a result. Hudler is also not a 1st line player, despite countless arguments using primarily his points/TOI that have surfaced on this forum. He doesn't have the muscle to be effective in the trenches that you need against top-pairing defensmen. He doesn't have the speed to outmaneuver the opposition's best. Put him on a top line, and again, watch the entire line suffer. I read folks' attempts to use this as a legitimate argument (as opposed to a shameless trolling) so many times each season, and every time it makes me shake my head.

As opposed to all the OPINIONS you're throwing out there? Gimme a break. Emmerton was a regular out there last year. I'm not saying he's a legit 1st liner. I'm just saying that judging him by his points is stupid because he plays on the 4th line. I judge him by his speed, youth, and durability.

#133 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

As opposed to all the OPINIONS you're throwing out there? Gimme a break. Emmerton was a regular out there last year. I'm not saying he's a legit 1st liner. I'm just saying that judging him by his points is stupid because he plays on the 4th line. I judge him by his speed, youth, and durability.

Tootoo's endurance, durability, stamina, cooking skills, and art and crafts expierence make him way better than Cory E

#134 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. This is a HOCKEY site.....you know that right?

A 4th line of Williams-Emmerton-Wellwood would be great. Nevermind physical play and scrappiness on our 4th line, at least we'll be quick!
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#135 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

+ his Jr stats were pretty sick in 05/06 I believe. Not as sick as Lemieux, LaFleur, or LaFontaine though. But pretty sick. ;)

Edited by rick zombo, 10 December 2012 - 01:59 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#136 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

+ his Jr stats were pretty sick in 05/06 I believe. Not as sick as Lemieux, LaFleur, or LaFontaine though. But pretty sick. ;)/>

He has performed well at other levels. Im excited to see what he does as he gets used to a bigger role, too.

Tootoo's endurance, durability, stamina, cooking skills, and art and crafts expierence make him way better than Cory E

And his hunting!!!

#137 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

He has performed well at other levels. Im excited to see what he does as he gets used to a bigger role, too.

Like the AHL, where he never had a positive season (+/-) or the OHL, where on the top line playing PP and SH he could not make it past 6 games/season in the playoffs, going -2, -4 and -1 in 3 seasons which included him being traded 2 months after being named captain in '07.

I'm excited to see what draft pick we can pull in for him, as it is now, that 5th round pick has a better chance of playing for Detroit than Emmerton.
Andersson, in addition to scoring 50+ points last season with the Griffins (Emmerton never broke 40), is taller, stronger, younger and Swedish.

#138 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Like the AHL, where he never had a positive season (+/-) or the OHL, where on the top line playing PP and SH he could not make it past 6 games/season in the playoffs, going -2, -4 and -1 in 3 seasons which included him being traded 2 months after being named captain in '07.

I'm excited to see what draft pick we can pull in for him, as it is now, that 5th round pick has a better chance of playing for Detroit than Emmerton.
Andersson, in addition to scoring 50+ points last season with the Griffins (Emmerton never broke 40), is taller, stronger, younger and Swedish.

I actually don't think Emmerton is that bad. He's not a better player than Tootoo, but I do agree that he's probably better than he looked on the fourth line. I mean, the kid was drafted as a play maker, not a grinder, and he's not being used in that role. Regardless, he still played 71 games in his rookie season and scored 10 pts. By comparison, Justin Abdelkader didn't play 70+ games until his third season and scored 19 pts. Give Emmerton two more seasons and I think he'd be at least that effective if not more so.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#139 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Emmerton isn't a bad player, but he doesn't fit in our system at the moment. I think everyone can agree to that standard. Like in similar cases, some players just need to be in another system with another franchise, aka Ville Leino. His role just isn't needed within the bottom six because we have an influx of players that can mimic him. He basically just falls too far into the depth charts. In another franchise he could be that perfect 3rd liner, someone that really needs a bottom 6 playmaker. Unfortunately, we do not.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#140 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I actually don't think Emmerton is that bad. He's not a better player than Tootoo, but I do agree that he's probably better than he looked on the fourth line. I mean, the kid was drafted as a play maker, not a grinder, and he's not being used in that role. Regardless, he still played 71 games in his rookie season and scored 10 pts. By comparison, Justin Abdelkader didn't play 70+ games until his third season and scored 19 pts. Give Emmerton two more seasons and I think he'd be at least that effective if not more so.

By comparison, Abdelkader is 1 year older, 1 cup wiser, 1 inch taller, 111 more hits last year and 28 pounds heavier.
Abdelkader's first full season with Detroit was the 70+ game season.
The previous season where he had 6 points in 50 games was split with Grand Rapids, where he had 24 points in 33 games, compared to Emmerton who managed 37 points in 76 games with Grand Rapids that same season.
I like Emmerton, I just don't think he is better than alot of options we have currently and coming up in the system.