• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#141 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Emmerton isn't a bad player, but he doesn't fit in our system at the moment. I think everyone can agree to that standard. Like in similar cases, some players just need to be in another system with another franchise, aka Ville Leino. His role just isn't needed within the bottom six because we have an influx of players that can mimic him. He basically just falls too far into the depth charts. In another franchise he could be that perfect 3rd liner, someone that really needs a bottom 6 playmaker. Unfortunately, we do not.

Agreed.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#142 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

By comparison, Abdelkader is 1 year older, 1 cup wiser, 1 inch taller, 111 more hits last year and 28 pounds heavier.
Abdelkader's first full season with Detroit was the 70+ game season.
The previous season where he had 6 points in 50 games was split with Grand Rapids, where he had 24 points in 33 games, compared to Emmerton who managed 37 points in 76 games with Grand Rapids that same season.
I like Emmerton, I just don't think he is better than alot of options we have currently and coming up in the system.

I agree that we've got a lot of guys coming up who are more suited, whether in terms of skill level or in terms of role players, than is Emmerton. I was just trying to stick up for the guy because usually when there's some debate about whether X player is better than Y player it usually devolved into just bashing the other guy. I don't think Emmerton is that bad, and certainly not as bad as he's been made out to be in this thread. Still, Tootoo is the better player.

Edited by kipwinger, 10 December 2012 - 09:04 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#143 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I actually don't think Emmerton is that bad. He's not a better player than Tootoo, but I do agree that he's probably better than he looked on the fourth line. I mean, the kid was drafted as a play maker, not a grinder, and he's not being used in that role. Regardless, he still played 71 games in his rookie season and scored 10 pts. By comparison, Justin Abdelkader didn't play 70+ games until his third season and scored 19 pts. Give Emmerton two more seasons and I think he'd be at least that effective if not more so.

Exactly. Hes growing as an NHLer. People give up on him too easy.

#144 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Exactly. Hes growing as an NHLer. People give up on him too easy.

We lost Eva, and his man love for Hudler...Now we have you :lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#145 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

We lost Eva, and his man love for Hudler...Now we have you :lol:/>

I havw man love only for Datsyuk. Emmerton is just a good roster guy. Fast, dependable, and cheap.

#146 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Why does cheap matter? It's not like the Red Wings were against the cap and needed roster filler.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#147 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Why does cheap matter? It's not like the Red Wings were against the cap and needed roster filler.

More cap room for other guys

#148 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

More cap room for other guys

That doesn't exactly make sense though. If the Red Wings don't need to fill roster spots, then they don't need to bring in guys. If you don't need to fill roster spots, especially when your roster is filled upfront, you don't need that cap space for "other guys." All that money really has a purpose for is call-ups in case of injury or something unlikely scenario. You don't really spare cap space in order to stack it with trade value in order to bag some more talent, especially when your roster is full. But that's my 2 cents in reality.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#149 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

That doesn't exactly make sense though. If the Red Wings don't need to fill roster spots, then they don't need to bring in guys. If you don't need to fill roster spots, especially when your roster is filled upfront, you don't need that cap space for "other guys." All that money really has a purpose for is call-ups in case of injury or something unlikely scenario. You don't really spare cap space in order to stack it with trade value in order to bag some more talent, especially when your roster is full. But that's my 2 cents in reality.

I got ya on that one is what youre trying to say.

#150 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Why did we ever sign Tootoo?!?!?!? Emmerton is all the grit we need! look at that hammer job! We don't need more fast softies in the bottom-6 like Tootoo, we need grinders, agitators, and fighters like Cory

Edited by number9, 11 December 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#151 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Why did we ever sign Tootoo?!?!?!? Emmerton is all the grit we need! look at that hammer job! We don't need more fast softies in the bottom-6 like Tootoo, we need grinders, agitators, and fighters like Cory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipwmZZ50M14

Who was it that said Emmerton had grit again? I'm still drawing a blank on that one.

#152 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Who was it that said Emmerton had grit again? I'm still drawing a blank on that one.

Ya but having grit once in a while doesn't make him a grinder. Tootoo is a known agitator, and good at it. Big or small it doesn't matter if you are able to get under your opponents skin and shift momentum.

#153 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Ya but having grit once in a while doesn't make him a grinder. Tootoo is a known agitator, and good at it. Big or small it doesn't matter if you are able to get under your opponents skin and shift momentum.

Axe: "Emmerton can't score, play defense, or play physical......but he's fast, nuff said"

#154 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Axe: "Emmerton can't score, play defense, or play physical......but he's fast, nuff said"

71 games last year. Makes Emdog a regular.

#155 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

That doesn't exactly make sense though. If the Red Wings don't need to fill roster spots, then they don't need to bring in guys. If you don't need to fill roster spots, especially when your roster is filled upfront, you don't need that cap space for "other guys."

Suppose the roster sucks?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#156 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

Lebda

#157 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Quit giving yourself nicknames....you're just Cory.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#158 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Suppose the roster sucks?

The roster sucks, but you still will most likely be trading pieces for the new upgraded pieces. Cap space is removed and replaced.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#159 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

By comparison, Abdelkader is 1 year older, 1 cup wiser, 1 inch taller, 111 more hits last year and 28 pounds heavier.
Abdelkader's first full season with Detroit was the 70+ game season.
The previous season where he had 6 points in 50 games was split with Grand Rapids, where he had 24 points in 33 games, compared to Emmerton who managed 37 points in 76 games with Grand Rapids that same season.
I like Emmerton, I just don't think he is better than alot of options we have currently and coming up in the system.

Such as Nyquist, Andersson, Sheahan, Jurco, lets throw Brunner in there....as you said, no room and too many guys that can do better.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#160 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Such as Nyquist, Andersson, Sheahan, Jurco, lets throw Brunner in there....as you said, no room and too many guys that can do better.

Look I already mentioned that there were a lot of guys more capable in the organization than Emmerton. My whole point was that just because there are guys who are better, doesn't mean that Emmerton sucks or that he won't turn into a decent NHL player.

Now on to your post. None of Sheahan, Jurco, or Brunner have ever accomplished a single thing in professional North American hockey. Sheahan and Jurco aren't even good AHL players yet, let alone capable of being compared to Emmerton at the NHL level. One day they might be, but for now, you're reaching.

Edited by kipwinger, 13 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.