• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

up2here

Martin Frk

Rate this topic

So I attended the Halifax Mooseheads game vs. Baie Comeau last night and it was yet another entertaining game of junior hockey. Marty Frk really stood out and even garnered First Star honors. Frk has been really playing well of late and his shot is, by all accounts, already of elite NHL level. What has really impressed me though is the improvement in his skating from last year to now. I think were looking at a potential 40 goal scorer in the NHL if they ever play again.

Edited by UP2HERE

I've read that the kid has a cannon of a shot. How accurate is it? I love players that shoot hard, but shooting hard AND accurate is the real key in the NHL.

He loves to shoot and he knows that he has a great one. His accuracy is not something that seems overly concerning from what I've seen. Sure he misses the net sometimes but he also has shown the ability to pick the top corners. He also played the point on the power play last night and is one of the big reasons Halifax's power play is so devastating right now.

Edited by UP2HERE

And he's been playing on the second line most of the year as a lot of prime minutes are going to MacKinnon and Drouin.

So basically he's learning to be a team player, and putting up great numbers as a secondary scorer.

But Nestrasil had similar numbers in Jr playing in the Q, and he seems to be going down the path of "bust".

And he's been playing on the second line most of the year as a lot of prime minutes are going to MacKinnon and Drouin.

So basically he's learning to be a team player, and putting up great numbers as a secondary scorer.

But Nestrasil had similar numbers in Jr playing in the Q, and he seems to be going down the path of "bust".

Scouting isnt an exact science for sure and clearly none of us are professionals but Nestrasil never seemed to have to raw talent taht Frk seems to have. Time will tell I guess.

Edited by UP2HERE

Guest Kronstantinov

Frk is on a pace to score more than Nestrasil was playing jr.

Frk is on a pace to score more than Nestrasil was playing jr.

I don't usually nerd out about stats, but here's the complete Q stats for both players (as of Frk's stats last week):

Frk

10/11 - 62GP-22G-22A-50PTS

11/12 - 34GP-16G-13A - 29PTS

12/13 - 20GP-9G-18A-27PTS

PPG AVG = 0.914

http://www.redwingsc...cts/martin-frk/

Nestrasil

08/09 - 66GP-22G-35A-57PTS

09/10 - 50GP-16G-35A-51PTS

10/11 - 58GP-19G-51A-70PTS

PPG AVG = 1.02

http://www.redwingsc...drej-nestrasil/

Frk is a goal scorer, Nestrasil was a play maker, but their point totals are almost identical. So, I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from.

Edit to add: I'm not saying Frk won't be am elite NHL sniper, but I'm using Nestrasil as an example of how Jr numbers don't always translate into NHL or even AHL success.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest The Axe

I don't usually nerd out about stats, but here's the complete Q stats for both players (as of Frk's stats last week):

Frk

PPG AVG = 0.914

Nestrasil

PPG AVG = 1.02

Frk is a goal scorer, Nestrasil was a play maker, but their point totals are almost identical. So, I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from.

Edit to add: I'm not saying Frk won't be am elite NHL sniper, but I'm using Nestrasil as an example of how Jr numbers don't always translate into NHL or even AHL success.

Lemieux ripped it up in the QMJHL and that translated right into NHL production.

Lemieux ripped it up in the QMJHL and that translated right into NHL production.

Hahahahah. Are you serious? Way to cherry-pick. Lemieux destroyed the Q. As did Crosby. What’s your point?

I was comparing two Red Wing 2nd and 3rd round picks in the modern era that put up similar numbers, if only to say that Frk could turn out to be like Nestrasil - averaging less than a point per game in Toledo.

Again, I like Frk. I’m going out of my way to see him play soon. And it’s nice to get excited about our draft picks. But I was relatively excited about Nestrasil too.

Guest The Axe

Hahahahah. Are you serious? Way to cherry-pick. Lemieux destroyed the Q. As did Crosby. What’s your point?

I was comparing two Red Wing 2nd and 3rd round picks in the modern era that put up similar numbers, if only to say that Frk could turn out to be like Nestrasil - averaging less than a point per game in Toledo.

Again, I like Frk. I’m going out of my way to see him play soon. And it’s nice to get excited about our draft picks. But I was relatively excited about Nestrasil too.

Lafleur too. That guy was sick in the Q.

Edited by The Axe

Guest Kronstantinov

Frk

PPG AVG = 0.914

Nestrasil

PPG AVG = 1.02

The year he was drafted (09-10), Nestrasil scored at 1.02 PPG. Frk is scoring at a 1.35 PPG clip. Frk is actally 8 months younger than Nestrasil was that year. It doesn't sound like a lot but at that age it usually is. Frk began his QMJHL career out almost 2 years younger.

Frk also has some crash and bang to his game whereas Nestrasil never did

LaFontaine too. That guy was sick in the Q.

He was sick in the NHL which should be changed to the NHL currently the N stands for No instead of National

Mario Lemiuex in his final season with Laval: 70 GP, 133 Goals, 149 Assists, 282 points. A different era obviously but my brain has trouble even comprehending those stats.

Guest Kronstantinov

Mario Lemiuex in his final season with Laval: 70 GP, 133 Goals, 149 Assists, 282 points. A different era obviously but my brain has trouble even comprehending those stats.

Mind boggling. Over 4 points a game.

The goalie equipment was much smaller then.

Still mind boggling

I'm actually glad you brough Nestrasil up as I had forgotten about him. Going to keep my eye on him again.

As for Frk I'll be attending tonight's Mooseheads game as well. We'll see if he can follow up his effort from the other night.

I'm actually glad you brough Nestrasil up as I had forgotten about him. Going to keep my eye on him again.

As for Frk I'll be attending tonight's Mooseheads game as well. We'll see if he can follow up his effort from the other night.

Sweet. Keep us posted. I'm assuming you live in Halifax? I'm currently posted up in Charlottetown.

Edited by rick zombo

Sweet. Keep us posted. I'm assuming you live in Halifax? I'm currently posted up in Charlottetown.

You military? I gotta drive almost 2 hours up to Brandon to see WHL these days or keep my eyes open for CHL games on Shaw's cable channel. Any teams near Charlettown?

Frk looks like he's gonna be a hell of a player. Kinda reminds me a little of Patrick Sharp from what i've seen. Should be at the WJC for sure.

You military? I gotta drive almost 2 hours up to Brandon to see WHL these days or keep my eyes open for CHL games on Shaw's cable channel. Any teams near Charlettown?

Frk looks like he's gonna be a hell of a player. Kinda reminds me a little of Patrick Sharp from what i've seen. Should be at the WJC for sure.

Not military no. "Posted" was probably a poor way for me to put that. :lol:

But yeah, we have the Prince Edward Island Rocket - part of the Q. Soon to become the PEI Islanders

Not military no. "Posted" was probably a poor way for me to put that. :lol:

But yeah, we have the Prince Edward Island Rocket - part of the Q. Soon to become the PEI Islanders

That name change still bugs me, the Prince Edward Island Islanders...