• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest irishock

Holmstrom appreciation thread

Rate this topic

Guest irishock

Alright, he hasn't officially retired, but with the season pretty much in doubt, he's probably done as a hockey player.

Would you like to see him return to the organization in some capacity? What are your favorite memories of Homer?

Over 1000 games in a Wings jersey...played his entire career here in Detroit...huge, HUGE piece to the puzzle in the playoffs each year. How many players have played their entire career in one city for over 1000 games? Not many.....Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Delcvecchio....Draper has but he played for Winnipeg before....So Homer is one of 5 players to play their entire 1000+ game careers in Detroit...3 of those 5 have their number's retired, soon to have Lids join them...I am sure #96 will not go to the rafters, but something has to be said of Holmstrom's RARE stat...you cannot ignore the 1000+ games for one team his entire career.

Guest The Axe

Over 1000 games in a Wings jersey...played his entire career here in Detroit...huge, HUGE piece to the puzzle in the playoffs each year. How many players have played their entire career in one city for over 1000 games? Not many.....Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Delcvecchio....Draper has but he played for Winnipeg before....So Homer is one of 5 players to play their entire 1000+ game careers in Detroit...3 of those 5 have their number's retired, soon to have Lids join them...I am sure #96 will not go to the rafters, but something has to be said of Holmstrom's RARE stat...you cannot ignore the 1000+ games for one team his entire career.

Holmstrom had a good spurt here. I will give him his props for his dedication.

He almost won the Hottest Red Wing Poll of '08. He led up until the last minute whereupon Lilja made a last-minute point grab. But he got 2nd, which is respectable considering that he beat Hank, Lids, and Kronner.

He also gave us some fine photoshop moments and unforgettable sound bites.

He was a man amongst boys in front of the net. He gave his body for the team, bearing more abuse than a hunter at a PETA convention.

I would like to have him stay on and work for the team doing interviews with the guys for some sort of internet television thing.

Guest irishock

The first goal of Game 7 vs Avs, was a crazy deflection.

He won't get his jersey on the rafters, but I think #96 should not be allowed to be worn again.

Can anyone think of another player that had a career that was anywhere close to want Homer had? I don't remember anyone else that didn't have a ton of skills yet spent most of their career on the top line and played regularly on the power play. He took a beating every game he played yet rarely missed any. And to me I always thought he was going to fall down every time he skated with the puck. We have to thank Scotty for seeing what a unique talent he was and putting him in situations that made him successful.

If you think about it he was a big reason that our defenses through the years put up as many points as they did. Who knows how many fewer points they would have if Homer wasn't as good at screening goalies and defecting pucks as he was.

Guest Johnz96

He would easily have the record for most goals waved off that shouldn't have been if they kept such statistics.

I think he is still a more effective player than some of the forwards we have signed.

We will miss him

And I'm pretty sure no-one else had as tough a 1000 games either. Guy was an absolute warrior for us who took a pounding shift after shift, and always came back for more.

Its made me sad the last few years seeing him slow down and the beating he took - not on the ice, but on this forum from short-memoried ungrateful fans (ditto Maltby + Draper).

IIRC he's also an American citizen now, so he'll be staying in the US whatever the future holds.

Edited by Nev

Guest The Axe

Sort of like when Gretzky retired & the NHL painted 99 behind the goals, when Homer finally hangs them up the Wings should at least play a game with 96 painted in front of the crease to honor him.

Cool idea.

Can anyone think of another player that had a career that was anywhere close to want Homer had? I don't remember anyone else that didn't have a ton of skills yet spent most of their career on the top line and played regularly on the power play. He took a beating every game he played yet rarely missed any. And to me I always thought he was going to fall down every time he skated with the puck. We have to thank Scotty for seeing what a unique talent he was and putting him in situations that made him successful.

If you think about it he was a big reason that our defenses through the years put up as many points as they did. Who knows how many fewer points they would have if Homer wasn't as good at screening goalies and defecting pucks as he was.

Yep....Ciccarelli.

Its kind of like Dino's career, just less goals. Dino wasn't that fast or talented skill-wise, yet he was always getting abused in front of the net and banged in the garbage goals on rebounds. Honestly, Homer probably had more re-direction goals than Dino, but Dino was a bit tougher and fought for the puck more AFTER he got knocked on his ass. That is where Dino got a ton of his garbage goals, from his ass.

Guest RedWingsDad

I always loved how Holmstrom had the spring effect when getting cross checked... undoubtedly helped save his back somewhat and prolong his career. Instead of trying to stand firm against the cross check he would just roll with it and spring back into place... probably pissed off the aggressor even more. lol

What a champ... I still fume a bit when I think about how rule changes really blunted his game the last 3-4 years... specifically the non-sense goalie interference calls made when the goalie initiated contact outside of the crease.... grrrrrrrr

The wings should make a one time Holmstrom award and have a whole game dedicated to it. The award would be for all the goals he deserved that got called off... they could play a montage of examples on the big screen and for the TV audience.... and just for the sake of fun they should jokingly display his actual goals next to an estimation of deserved goals. :D I dream.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Guest irishock

Also appreciate Homer's 2 goals on opening night 2008. Earned me $200 in a bet, $100 for each goal.

Oh my how I will miss the Demolition Man. The Junk Yard Dog of the team and the funniest guy ever. Pasha is great for soundbites but I will miss even his fellow Swedes saying they didn't understand a word he said. Hope he stays in The D or at least visits often for interviews. I will miss him a lot.