• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chances14

Illitch announces plan to build new arena

Rate this topic

just saw this come across my twitter feed

Bob Duff@asktheduffer

Ilitch org. announce plans to explore viability of developing Detroit’s downtown, anchored by state-of-the-art, multi-purpose events center.

Bill Shea@Bill_Shea19

Ilitch family, owners of the Detroit Red #Wings, say they're planning a $650 million arena and mixed-use project for downtown.

more info

http://blogs.windsor...wntown-detroit/

on a possible location

No time frame was given, and the proposed arena location wasn't disclosed, but longtime speculation has centered on the area near the Fox Theatre, between Grand River and Cass avenues south of I-75 or west of Woodward Avenue north of I-75.

The Ilitches addressed the location this way: "While the exact location of the district has not been determined, it will be strategically located to serve some of the most underutilized areas in Detroit's downtown core, strengthening the link between Detroit's existing assets through a continuous, walkable environment connecting one district to the next and serving to improve the quality of life for residents and visitors alike."

Edited by chances14

Haven't heard anything recent about this! Glad to see it's still in the works... I know previously they said they were looking to change the aspect of multimedia within the arena with technology. Like new technology that allowed you to view the big screen via your cell phone and save highlights directly to your phone from it. I'll probably be butthurt for awhile once it does get built... it'll be hard leaving the Joe. So many childhood memories with my dad....

I've got such mixed feelings about this. My brain knows that it will be great for downtown and the city in general, but my heart can't understand why hockey would be played anywhere other than JLA.

agreed. it's going to be so weird seeing the wings playing in an arena other than the joe

If Ilitch builds a new state of the art arena with the "old school" charm of what the Olympia had I bet many here won't feel so bad about leaving the Joe.

i just hope they can maintain the good sight lines that the joe has. i honesty don't care about all the new bells and whistles of a new arena. i just want to be able to get a good view of the game

i just hope they can maintain the good sight lines that the joe has. i honesty don't care about all the new bells and whistles of a new arena. i just want to be able to get a good view of the game

Besides memories being my main opponent against a new arena, even though I know we need a new one, is the viewpoints of the Joe. No arena can match the viewpoints of the Joe and how perfect every seat honestly can see the ice. I never once complained about sitting in the upper bowl (not that I would in the first place, put me anywhere near live hockey and i'm sold) at the Joe and never would. The seats up top are just as good as the lower bowl strictly because there's nothing blocking your view of the ice. The one thing I could do without... is the trouths

Only having been to the Joe for 8 games (long haul for me) - I can honestly say the sightlines the best...

That said - the seats are super cramped (my knees are usually in the ears of the fan sitting in front of me); the concourse is a disaster (where else must ya leave with 2 min left on the clock to ensure a 1st in line to the bathrooms, or to grab a beverage); there's only a handful of establishments nearby for before/after game festivities.

I've been to numerous arenas across the USA, and in Toronto; while they may lack the view of the ice that the Joe has - they are considerably better in other areas that fans may find enjoyable.

for me, the view of the ice is by far the most important thing to me. the other stuff i can deal with.

but then again i don't think i am the typical fan when it comes to going to sporting events. first off, i am smaller than the average person so the cramping of the seats isn't really a big deal for me. i usually don't buy food or beverage at the arena and i can usually hold off on the bathroom until after i leave the arena. when the game is over, i get the hell of out of detroit as fast as i can lol

Edited by chances14

for me, the view of the ice is by far the most important thing to me. the other stuff i can deal with.

but then again i don't think i am the typical fan when it comes to going to sporting events. first off, i am smaller than the average person so the cramping of the seats isn't really a big deal for me. i usually don't buy food or beverage at the arena and i can usually hold off on the bathroom until after i leave the arena. when the game is over, i get the hell of out of detroit as fast as i can lol

I'm small too, like 5-5 150 small and I was still cramped. Bathrooms wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have 5 beers during a game. Just sneak in the exit, no one will care. I promise. :P

I'm small too, like 5-5 150 small and I was still cramped. Bathrooms wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have 5 beers during a game. Just sneak in the exit, no one will care. I promise. :P

i've probably been to a hundred games or so over the last 20 years so i dunno maybe i'm just used to the small seats lol

If Ilitch builds a new state of the art arena with the "old school" charm of what the Olympia had I bet many here won't feel so bad about leaving the Joe.

Agreed. I have a lot of nostalgia with the Joe, but having been to a few of the newer arenas, it became clear what a dump the Joe is. Hopefully they'll maintain the sightlines but will add some of the modern amenities of newer arenas.

I could use some more leg room, but other than that, I'm good with the Joe. I have it down to a science, getting what I need and where I need to be. It's a breeze if you go often enough to get a system. For those who don't get to many games, I'm sure it's a pain.

I could use some more leg room, but other than that, I'm good with the Joe. I have it down to a science, getting what I need and where I need to be. It's a breeze if you go often enough to get a system. For those who don't get to many games, I'm sure it's a pain.

agreed. me and my buddies have it down to a tee

I guess I'm just showing my age, but I won't be too disappointed in leaving the Joe. I have some great memories of the games I saw there; the 1980 All Star game, the two Stanley Cups, all of the great players and seasons, (the place where I was a long time season ticket holder) which I will always be grateful to Mr. Ilitch for putting together. But the atmosphere of the Olympia, even with the bad Wings' teams of the late 70s, was great. For those who enjoy the sight lines of the Joe, you would've loved Olympia. Yes, there were obstructed views in spots, but you were right on top of the action, in both the Arena and Mezzanine seats. The sight lines were fantastic. So here's hoping to a modern new building, with the "retro" look. I do hope that the outside resembles the old Olympia, the Joe always looked like a warehouse to me.

Guest The Axe

Besides memories being my main opponent against a new arena, even though I know we need a new one, is the viewpoints of the Joe. No arena can match the viewpoints of the Joe and how perfect every seat honestly can see the ice. I never once complained about sitting in the upper bowl (not that I would in the first place, put me anywhere near live hockey and i'm sold) at the Joe and never would. The seats up top are just as good as the lower bowl strictly because there's nothing blocking your view of the ice. The one thing I could do without... is the trouths

Youre a stall guy? (Kramer and Jerry looking at George awkwardly!!)

I have a ton of incredible memories at the Joe, but the building is a dump. I'm tall and my legs go numb sitting in those seats for very long. The bathrooms are a joke, everyone leaves through the same exit and the concourse is entirely not appealing. Besides the sight lines, nostalgia and not having a stupid corporate name, there's nothing special about JLA.

The Red Wings organization deserves a new arena. It would be great for the city of Detroit as well.

Besides the sight lines, nostalgia and not having a stupid corporate name, there's nothing special about JLA.

the history alone makes it one of the most special rinks in the league.

I *really* hope they continue this tradition.

i doubt it. i just hope it's not called amway arena

Why? You should really go to a bar/restaurant after a game. There's so many Wings fans all over the place after a game and it makes it so much fun.

Why? You should really go to a bar/restaurant after a game. There's so many Wings fans all over the place after a game and it makes it so much fun.

let's just say i had a really bad experience years back that turned me off ever hanging out in detroit after games again