• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I love the memories that have accumulated at the Joe, but I have been ready to move on for so long. This is great news, and it sounds like there is more going on here than just an arena/concert venue. I'm excited to hear more.

#22 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I *really* hope they continue this tradition.

Likewise, but there's absolutely no chance the new arena won't have a corporate name. Too much money to be had there.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

as long as i don't have to wait around the corner for the bathroom, and I can see the ice clearly from any seat in the house, I don't care what arena I am in.

#24 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

for me, the view of the ice is by far the most important thing to me. the other stuff i can deal with.

but then again i don't think i am the typical fan when it comes to going to sporting events. first off, i am smaller than the average person so the cramping of the seats isn't really a big deal for me. i usually don't buy food or beverage at the arena and i can usually hold off on the bathroom until after i leave the arena. when the game is over, i get the hell of out of detroit as fast as i can lol

Why? You should really go to a bar/restaurant after a game. There's so many Wings fans all over the place after a game and it makes it so much fun.

#25 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

It'll be called Amway something. Every time you see the red wings name it's always Detroit Red Wings Presented by Amway! Seriously, we look so frickin dumb.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

By the time they hold the "ground-breaking" ceremony, the lockout should be over.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Why? You should really go to a bar/restaurant after a game. There's so many Wings fans all over the place after a game and it makes it so much fun.

let's just say i had a really bad experience years back that turned me off ever hanging out in detroit after games again

#28 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

hopefully it'll be "The New Joe Louis Arena at (Corporation such as Amway) Events Center" ....or something like that. It's a little long (haha) but it'd be cool if they preserved the name JLA.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#29 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

potential sites for a new arena

https://maps.google....14&source=embed

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

If Ilitch builds a new state of the art arena with the "old school" charm of what the Olympia had I bet many here won't feel so bad about leaving the Joe.

ya, just like the Old School charm of Tiger Stadium he built into Comerica....It will be nothing but a cookie cutter arena based on the new Pittsburgh and Columbus arena's...and it will be named something by the highest bidder regardless of where the HQ is for that bidder...ie Comerica Park HQ'd in Texas.

I would love to see an Olympia style arena and I am sticking by my name of Cadillac Centre. (Not only for GM ties but mostly for Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac...founder of Detroit.)

One of you guys LONG ago made up a "Olympia" type rendition of a new arena, you shold repost it in this thread.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#31 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I moved downtown not too long ago and my apartment's view is right toward the huge parking lots behind the Fox Theater. I can post pictures for you guys when they start construction (or now, if anyone is interested in seeing empty lots). But I think strategically that spot fits the mold of what Ilitch is describing. The other side of Woodward is pretty happening with the other stadiums, Chili's, and other bars/restaurants. That's where all the action is on game days for the Tigers and Lions. On the other side there is Hockeytown cafe and then a bunch of nothing. I think putting the stadium there really completes the picture. Plus it's right on the Grand Circus Park people mover stop.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#32 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I've got such mixed feelings about this. My brain knows that it will be great for downtown and the city in general, but my heart can't understand why hockey would be played anywhere other than JLA.

That was the beauty of the Lambeau Field $295 Million renovations. Same historic and sentimental feel, with modern day luxury. Win, Win for Packer fans.

Pre-Renovation:
Posted Image

Post-Renovation:
Posted Image

And the new $130 Million seating addition, jumbo-trons and further upgrades will be done for the start of next season. That will make Lambeau the 4th biggest in the NFL.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

ya, just like the Old School charm of Tiger Stadium he built into Comerica....It will be nothing but a cookie cutter arena based on the new Pittsburgh and Columbus arena's...and it will be named something by the highest bidder regardless of where the HQ is for that bidder...ie Comerica Park HQ'd in Texas.

I would love to see an Olympia style arena and I am sticking by my name of Cadillac Centre. (Not only for GM ties but mostly for Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac...founder of Detroit.)

One of you guys LONG ago made up a "Olympia" type rendition of a new arena, you shold repost it in this thread.

Found the new Olympia http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JrQgsvelr8Q

Website here http://newolympia.blogspot.com/

Edited by F.Michael, 05 December 2012 - 10:06 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#34 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Whats sad is I have never gotten to watch a game at the Joe and probably never will=(
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#35 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Whats sad is I have never gotten to watch a game at the Joe and probably never will=(

Well if we have hockey this year, that'd be your chance.. Probably next year too but good luck! the joe is a great place, hope you make it there.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#36 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Well if we have hockey this year, that'd be your chance.. Probably next year too but good luck! the joe is a great place, hope you make it there.

i think this is going to be 4 or 5 year process. it's going to take probably at least a 2 years to finalize the plans and then another 2-3 years to build the arena

#37 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

i think this is going to be 4 or 5 year process. it's going to take probably at least a 2 years to finalize the plans and then another 2-3 years to build the arena

While building an arena that sized in the location it is, the city will most likely push for them to get this thing done asap to attract the population to spend money in a much needed market (downtown). Detroit is going through some rough times right now, and the city is basically bankrupt. This arena could really start to motivate and accelerate the market of downtown. I know the building process is going to take awhile, but I certainly think the city will be pushing for them to get this thing done asap.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#38 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

While building an arena that sized in the location it is, the city will most likely push for them to get this thing done asap to attract the population to spend money in a much needed market (downtown). Detroit is going through some rough times right now, and the city is basically bankrupt. This arena could really start to motivate and accelerate the market of downtown. I know the building process is going to take awhile, but I certainly think the city will be pushing for them to get this thing done asap.

i was watching the local detroit news last night and they said that it will be a year and half at the earliest before the plans are finalized

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Comerica definitely does not have an "old stadium" charm but I think the stadium is still very representative of the city in its own right. Given that it's an industrial city I don't think it's an accident that the stadium was built with that rough I-beam look to it. I think it's very much meant to be representative of the heart and soul of the city, regardless of whether it's along the model old stadium. You're right though, old stadium it's not.

I'm all for this new arena, but I can't help but wonder what this will mean for Cobo Joe's? They probably ought to start looking for a new home too.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#40 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Tax payer funding has been approved by Michigan Senate;

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411053