• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Johnz96

New CBA

Rate this topic

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Voted no. I agree with Jonz96. Can't speak for anyone else, but I think they have alienated a LOT of fans this time. IMHO this lockout will keep a lot of fans from coming back. Voted no because another lockout will surely kill the sport. I've been watching hockey since the 70's and have been on many roller-coasters with the Wings. I'm pretty much done with these douchenozzles. All of em. I don't really care if they get it figured out. If I watch any games at all, it will most definitely NOT be my number 1 priority as it has been in the past. I won't be giving the NHL any of my money this year. That trickles down to the Wings and then the players. I don't care. I am angry and bitter that the sport I love above all others has taken this road again.....I wouldn't let anyone or anything else in my life threat me this s***ty. I hate that I am reduced to this, but I can't allow myself to be treated this badly again. Bastards.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Guest Johnz96

He is right about one thing. His estimation of the average fan's intelligence. He knows he couldn't get away with a lot of the things he has done if he wasn't right about them.

It is so obvious who is responsible for all of the NHL lockouts.

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Johnz96

If you don't blame Fehr any you are wrong.

I'm not sure if Fehr is to blame at all or not. If any of his tactics were underhanded, that is forgivable and understandable considering who he is up against.

But just to appease you lets' say Fehr is even a little more to blame for this one than Bettman is. He would never have even been brought in if it wasn't for Bettman and you can't blame the other 2 at all on Fehr, so the root of the evil is Bettman.

Not even considering the lockouts (the Phoenis fiasco is a complete farce and even worse was pretending they are going to crack down on obstruction every year for almost a decade when in fact he wanted to restrict talent and skill for the sake of parity to gove weaker teams a better chance of winning, I could go on and on about his Machiavellian management of the league and duplicitous interaction with fans, media and management), he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey and if we don't want another one when the new CBA expires (I find it almost unbelievable that most think that there will be a lockout when the new CBA expires and yet aren't willing to do whatever is necessary to save the sport from such a menace), we better do whatever we can to make sure he is removed from the sport. We have the power($), when he finally unlocks the doors it will be up to us.

NOMORELOCKOUTS

NOBETTMAN!

Edited by Johnz96

I'm not sure if Fehr is to blame at all or not. If any of his tactics were underhanded, that is forgivable and understandable considering who he is up against.

But just to appease you lets' say Fehr is even a little more to blame for this one than Bettman is. He would never have even been brought in if it wasn't for Bettman and you can't blame the other 2 at all on Fehr, so the root of the evil is Bettman.

so because bettman was evil first, it's okay for fehr to be evil too? sorry but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

when the players union swooped in and ousted paul kelly because they felt he wasn't confrontational enough, you knew the players were looking for a fight in the next cba.

scott burnside predicted it 3 years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=4435098

(I find it almost unbelievable that most think that there will be a lockout when the new CBA expires and yet aren't willing to do whatever is necessary to save the sport from such a menace)

i agree with you that bettman needs to go, but again, it won't do any good to get rid of bettman if fehr is still around. as we have seen throughout this lockout and especially in the last round of talks, the owners seem to have a personal hatred against don fehr. So you can be sure that if bettman is ousted, they will bring somebody in that will be tasked with taking down fehr.

He is right about one thing. His estimation of the average fan's intelligence. He knows he couldn't get away with a lot of the things he has done if he wasn't right about them.

It is so obvious who is responsible for all of the NHL lockouts.

and what about the players? don't you think they realize that the fans will come back no matter what?

I've never heard of any lockout being called for by a labour organization.

a lockout is essentially the same thing as a strike. the only difference is the owners initiate a lockout and the players initiate a strike.

but the point is, the players were looking for a fight because they felt they were wronged in the last lockout.

If you don't blame Fehr any you are wrong.

Yep, Fehr locked out the union and started cancelling games as a negotiation tactic.

Yep, Fehr presided over multiple lockouts and worked for the the same law firm behind every major sport lockout of the last few years.

Yep, Fehr ate your brother after his paper boat floated into the sewer.

Yep, Fehr sank the Titanic.

Yep, Fehr...eh I am out of ideas, you seem good at assigning blame to people who don't deserve it, why don't you finish.

Yep, Fehr locked out the union and started cancelling games as a negotiation tactic.

Yep, Fehr presided over multiple lockouts and worked for the the same law firm behind every major sport lockout of the last few years.

Yep, Fehr ate your brother after his paper boat floated into the sewer.

Yep, Fehr sank the Titanic.

Yep, Fehr...eh I am out of ideas, you seem good at assigning blame to people who don't deserve it, why don't you finish.

Buttman Is the devil dur hur hur

buttman controls the nhl and the owners

buttman makes all of the decisions

buttman is crosbys dad dur hur hur

buttman stole my razor

see I can play this stupid game as well. You seem to be very upset that someone stops and doesn't jump all over Bettman and sees more of the bigger picture and can see without the lame sequin tee shirt that says NHLPA ROXORS on it. I have never said that Bettman more so the owners are not to blame for this lockout but I also can see how Fehr is stalling on things and even making some of the players upset about how he is handling things. Both sides have not done there best to get a deal done. It seems like Bettman and Fehr would rather screw each other then worry about the fans or getting a deal done. Did you miss the part about when Bettman and Fehr were not in the room negotiating that they made some good progress but as soon as BOTH get back in everything goes to hell? Were you too busy coming up with the clever names for Bettman?

Guest Johnz96

Buttman Is the devil dur hur hur

buttman controls the nhl and the owners

buttman makes all of the decisions

buttman is crosbys dad dur hur hur

buttman stole my razor

see I can play this stupid game as well. You seem to be very upset that someone stops and doesn't jump all over Bettman and sees more of the bigger picture and can see without the lame sequin tee shirt that says NHLPA ROXORS on it. I have never said that Bettman more so the owners are not to blame for this lockout but I also can see how Fehr is stalling on things and even making some of the players upset about how he is handling things. Both sides have not done there best to get a deal done. It seems like Bettman and Fehr would rather screw each other then worry about the fans or getting a deal done. Did you miss the part about when Bettman and Fehr were not in the room negotiating that they made some good progress but as soon as BOTH get back in everything goes to hell? Were you too busy coming up with the clever names for Bettman?

Did you miss the part that they were probably making progress when Bettman and Fehr weren't in the room because Bettman wasn't.in the room.

a lockout is essentially the same thing as a strike. the only difference is the owners initiate a lockout and the players initiate a strike.

There is another strike option for employees which can't be applied in this situation (unfortunately): a rotating strike. It can be very effective getting management's attention.

but the point is, the players were looking for a fight because they felt they were wronged in the last lockout.

If any labour organization goes into contract negotiations without expecting a fight, there's no sense in doing it. You have to want to fight "tooth and nail" for everything you want and not just some of the things. If this isn't the mindset going in, there is no reason the have a union. Then who do you think would keep all that extra money?

For all his ability to size up the opposition, Uncle Gary has come up short in assessing the abilities of Mr. Fehr. Luckily, it's going just the way he had hoped.

After the last lockout, what did the fans receive to "buy back" their support: the shootout. That was Uncle Gary's idea. What's in store this time?

If you look at every professional sport, the side that is on the losing end of a deal when it expires will strike or lockout. In some instances, the CBA was good for both sides so it was extended. This isn't just in the NHL. The big difference between the NHL and these other sports leagues is the vile hatred they have for each other. There is a history of mistrust and undermining which has chipped away at the relationship between the league and the players. So when the CBA expires, there is no joint talks. There is no working together. There is no compromise. You have two sides who are stuck in a greedy money grab.

The players were making over 70% of the revenues before the last lockout. This time around, the NFL and NBA both negotiated to 50/50 splits so it was just natural that the NHL wanted the same split too. I am sure most people would agree that a 57/43 split is only fair if you are making the 57%. If the players were making 43%, how many people would be bitching that the owners were being too greedy? Would the same people who blame the ownership today give blame to the players if they went on strike because they were only making 43%? I doubt it.

Will there be another lockout after this one? It all depends on how the deal is working out for both sides. I would say that the odds are good that there would be another work stoppage. The only way this is avoided is if both sides fire Fehr and Bettman, and start fresh. They need new leadership that wants to work towards a common goal. Right now, these two leaders are more about greed, winning, and fighting each other.

Guest Johnz96

If you look at every professional sport, the side that is on the losing end of a deal when it expires will strike or lockout. In some instances, the CBA was good for both sides so it was extended. This isn't just in the NHL. The big difference between the NHL and these other sports leagues is the vile hatred they have for each other. There is a history of mistrust and undermining which has chipped away at the relationship between the league and the players. So when the CBA expires, there is no joint talks. There is no working together. There is no compromise. You have two sides who are stuck in a greedy money grab.

The players were making over 70% of the revenues before the last lockout. This time around, the NFL and NBA both negotiated to 50/50 splits so it was just natural that the NHL wanted the same split too. I am sure most people would agree that a 57/43 split is only fair if you are making the 57%. If the players were making 43%, how many people would be bitching that the owners were being too greedy? Would the same people who blame the ownership today give blame to the players if they went on strike because they were only making 43%? I doubt it.

Will there be another lockout after this one? It all depends on how the deal is working out for both sides. I would say that the odds are good that there would be another work stoppage. The only way this is avoided is if both sides fire Fehr and Bettman, and start fresh. They need new leadership that wants to work towards a common goal. Right now, these two leaders are more about greed, winning, and fighting each other.

Bettman is the worst thing to ever happen to the game of hockey , we should all do whatever we can to get him out of the game and you choose to focus on the guy fighting him.

Are you contrarian and just like to argue or are you 1 of those many paid mercenaries hired by Bettman and/or the NHL for internet PR scouring the web for sites talking about hockey and propagating their wickedness?

The big difference between the NHL and these other sports leagues is the vile hatred they have for each other.

No, the difference is the current leader of the NHL. Ever since he didn't get his way with his ill-conceived division realignment scheme (one that the NHLPA was totally in their right to refuse, as it should have been part of the overall negotiations in this round of talks) he's demonstrated an "I'll show them" type of mentality. He has to face the reality that he has met his negotiating match, bite the bullet, do his job properly and stop acting like the petulant man-child persona he showed the last time he was at the podium.

No, the difference is the current leader of the NHL. Ever since he didn't get his way with his ill-conceived division realignment scheme (one that the NHLPA was totally in their right to refuse, as it should have been part of the overall negotiations in this round of talks) he's demonstrated an "I'll show them" type of mentality. He has to face the reality that he has met his negotiating match, bite the bullet, do his job properly and stop acting like the petulant man-child persona he showed the last time he was at the podium.

this "i'll show them mentality" has gone all the way back to 1992 when goodenow directed the players to go on strike on the eve of the stanley cup finals. believe it or not, the players actually went on strike before the owners locked them out.

i suggest everyone go back and look at the relationship between the pa and the league starting in the 80's and you will see why we are at this point today. no other sports league in history has as dysfunctional a relationship than the nhl and nhlpa.

Bettman is the worst thing to ever happen to the game of hockey , we should all do whatever we can to get him out of the game and you choose to focus on the guy fighting him.

Are you contrarian and just like to argue or are you 1 of those many paid mercenaries hired by Bettman and/or the NHL for internet PR scouring the web for sites talking about hockey and propagating their wickedness?

I really don't get it. Just because some of us see more of a bigger picture as a whole..more problem then just Bettman , we are just here to argue, we are idiots....we are Buttman dur hur lovers....and we wish bad things to happen to hockey and the players. I'm not sure how me and several others can say it any clearer then we already have. Both sides suck...we hate Bettman....we hate Fehr....We hate the fact that we can't watch our "beloveded" (Ernest T. Bass) Wings.

Guest Johnz96

this "i'll show them mentality" has gone all the way back to 1992 when goodenow directed the players to go on strike on the eve of the stanley cup finals. believe it or not, the players actually went on strike before the owners locked them out.

i suggest everyone go back and look at the relationship between the pa and the league starting in the 80's and you will see why we are at this point today. no other sports league in history has as dysfunctional a relationship than the nhl and nhlpa.

Until Bettman took over they have never lost a game due to labor dispute and thew relationship between players and owners was never any more dysfuncyional than any other sports league.

Since he took over the NHL has lost more games due to labor disputes than all other major sports league combined even before Fehr ever entered the picture.

Until Bettman took over they have never lost a game due to labor dispute and thew relationship between players and owners was never any more dysfuncyional than any other sports league.

Since he took over the NHL has lost more games due to labor disputes than all other major sports league combined even before Fehr ever entered the picture.

until bob goodenow took over in 1992, there was never a labor stoppage of any kind in the nhl.

so who actually fired the first shot in this war?

Edited by chances14

Guest Johnz96

until bob goodenow took over in 1992, there was never a labor stoppage of any kind in the nhl.

so who actually fired the first shot in this war?

The owners were exploiting the players in 92

Guest RedWingsDad

Word to the wise, Bettman is an employee of the collective owners. He does not make unilateral decisions. It seems to be a secret around here, so don't tell anyone it was me who told you.... kthx

The owners were exploiting the players in 92

i would probably agree with that. though admittedly i don't know much about the details of the cba's in the 80's. i just know that the pa's own leader was exploiting his members.

but it gets back to the point i've been making in this thread. this dysfunction between the pa and nhl that has caused 3 lockouts goes back to before bettman was even commissioner and is why i believe that firing bettman alone is not going to prevent another lockout in the future.

From New York Times:

Bettman's mission is simple: Put a stop to labor unrest; sell the product in television's mainstream marketplace; change the violent image of the game; curb salary inflation; force enlightened self-interest on reluctant, old-fashioned owners; expand contacts with European developmental leagues and markets; settle the divisive issue of possible Olympic involvement, and help launch several new expansion teams.

My ribs are still aching after reading the first one.