• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvmnger

Every player a UFA?

Rate this topic

as some report are coming in, the possibility exists that all contracts may become void causing a mass UFA situation.

now this opens up all kinds of trouble.

small markets folding up shop, players exodus to teams to play with close friends, family, massive retirements or overseas contracts.

so to simplify my question...who stays in detroit for family...who leaves (specify reason) and who wants to play in detroit?

my first guess....

ryan miller wants in to play with brother in home state.

z , pav, kronwall, howard, helm, remain in detroit.

if 3 or more teams fold....abdelkader, bertuzzi, tootoo, emmerton out of league.

As a matter of fact, it's what the NHL is asking for with it's recent legal filing, per Ryan Lambert with Puck Daddy...

"The NHL requests a declaration that, if the NHLPA's decertification or disclaimer were not deemed invalid by the NLRB, and the collective bargaining relationship between the parties were not otherwise to continue, all existing contracts between NHL players and NHL teams (known as Standard Player's Contracts or "SPCs") would be void and unenforceable," the league's filing said.

Boiling that down to the simplest terms possible, the league wants the court, in the event of a decertification or disclaimer of interest, to make it so that all player contracts are null and void. Essentially, that means every player in the NHLPA, all 700-plus, would be a free agent.

It's worth a read. If only to let you know just how badly screwed up this situation can get, if both sides keep going down the road they're going.

Small market teams wouldn't survive. Who is willingly going to play for Phoenix, Florida Columbus, etc when all the big cities like Toronto and Detroit are haggling over everyone? There will be nothing but scraps left for struggling teams in nontrad markets.

It would be an exciting occurrence though, to see how every GM and owner would react.

I like it since we would attract a lot of great UFA's and have free reign to roll another superstar team, but unfortunately it would DESTROY the smaller markets as previously said due to no one wanting to go play for a market that doesn't even have fans. This would cause some mad chaos as players would try to unite as duos and friendship lines, which in the terms of hockey, we would most likely be seeing some of the best hockey we've seen. the chemistry would be unreal and you would really see some dedication out of players because they would be playing whom they really wanted to. I think this is all a tatic, but it's a scary one

No way the courts allow this. It flies in the face of the point of a contract. The players fulfilled their end of the contracts in good faith and the owners will be made to carry out theirs.

However, it'd be fun to see a mass UFA shift. So long as our guys stay.

And I think small teams would survive. There are always Wisniewski's to go for the big contracts in nice cities where they can party.

I like it since we would attract a lot of great UFA's and have free reign to roll another superstar team, but unfortunately it would DESTROY the smaller markets as previously said due to no one wanting to go play for a market that doesn't even have fans. This would cause some mad chaos as players would try to unite as duos and friendship lines, which in the terms of hockey, we would most likely be seeing some of the best hockey we've seen. the chemistry would be unreal and you would really see some dedication out of players because they would be playing whom they really wanted to. I think this is all a tatic, but it's a scary one

I'd love it not only would this lead to the end of a guy, who has destroyed hockey for almost 2 decades, no also the best owner in all of sports could finally ice a great team again. Sure the play it poor owners and some wellfare teams would need to relocate/fold but in the long run, this would be the best hockey ever loaded teams with great player development systems are fighting it out!

Also this would ensure, we'd never have a lockout again so sure a certain guy does fear it because it will be the long overdue nail in getting him fired and the NHL back on track.

In the minuscule chance that the NHL did go through with this, it's not as if every player would be released from their current team and the big market teams would be able to stack up on all the star players. I'm sure there would be some time period where every team has the opportunity to negotiate a new deal with every player on their current roster. Does anyone really think if this were to happen that every team would have equal opportunity to sign Crosby, Stamkos, Weber, etc.. Not a chance.. I'm sure most teams would remain the same but it would give owners / general managers the opportunity to negotiate better deals with their players.. and I'm sure there would be a rule against front loaded contracts and their would be a cap on the number of years allowed on a contract. I think it is a great idea for the league but I'm sure some players would disagree, namely guys like DiPietro, Gomez, Redden, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc..

I think all of the contracts on our current roster would be renewed, although there are a few players that I would prefer Kenny not giving a new contract.. Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall would be resigned to shorter term contracts which isn't necessarily a bad thing.. Anyway, as much as I hate Bettman, I think this would help the league immensely. Not so much the Wings because Kenny has done such a great job over the years but some of the teams that have signed players to contracts that haven't worked out..

Edited by krsmith17

I love when people say Bettman is the problem and that if hes gone everything is once again right in the world. I dont like him, I dont trust him but I'm not blind enough to not see that hes the only problem. The owners picked him because he fit the criteria of the guy they wanted. If its not him it would be some guy just like him.

As for this 700+ UFA thing, its scares the hell outta me. I also believe a handful of franchises would fold (Likely all the in the U.S.) which would be terrible to the league as whole, although I admit the caliber of hockey would improve.

Edited by up2here

I'm sure there would be some time period where every team has the opportunity to negotiate a new deal with every player on their current roster. Does anyone really think if this were to happen that every team would have equal opportunity to sign Crosby, Stamkos, Weber, etc.. Not a chance.. I'm sure most teams would remain the same but it would give owners / general managers the opportunity to negotiate better deals with their players..

Here's the key though...void & unenforceable. If there was a period set up for teams to negotiate with their former players, not current because that whole void & unenforceable thing, said former player would have to make that choice, similar to a player making the decision to negotiate with one team only at the start of their regular UFA period. There is no contract, exclusivity, connection, etc. from a legal standpoint.

There would be nothing, beyond loyalty maybe, to stop a Steven Stamkos or Sidney Crosby from saying thanks but no thanks on negotiating with their former team during an exclusive period, knowing that a bidding war is going to happen for them. By the same token, there would be nothing to stop an Alex Ovechkin, Geno Malkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, or god forbid a Pavel Datsyuk or Hank Zetterberg from saying no thanks to the NHL period & going back home to play. Decertification by the NHLPA & the courts voiding all contracts per the NHL's request looks pretty close to mutually assured destruction to me.

I wouldn't mind this, but I am not so sure that everyone will be fighting to come to Detroit and play....we lost out on the big free agents over the summer once already and we HAD the cash for them...I don't think that would change if all players became UFA. You'd have to land the biggest and best first to attract the rest, because you'd have players teaming up who want to play with each other, like the Olsen twins did. Landing the best would mean Illitch would have to whip out the wallet and get Ovie, Malkin, or......Crosby :bad: Excuse me while I wash my mouth out with soap....if Holland couldn't land any top 10 talent, then this team goes Waaay downhill for a UFA destination....

IF all 700+ players became UFA's I would hope that the new CBA would have a stipulation that the team they belong(ed) to has first crack at re-siging the players. I guess that would be a true UFA, but at least it would save some of the smaller franchises from folding....and it would keep Detroit on the map...

Edited by LeftWinger

I think though that the players you would see sign early during any exclusive period, if one even existed, would be your 3rd liners & second pairing D-men wanting to lock in a job before the bidding starts on the big boys. Who would be more concerned about having a seat when the music stops, someone like Dan Cleary or an Ian White or someone like Pavel or Hank? And as far as your roster depth guys (10th-13th forwards & 5th-7th D-men) how many GMs would lock those types of players up early vs. saving that money up to possibly attract the big stars & then fill their rosters up on the cheap with players more likely willing to play for less because those seats are filling up?

The one thing were not taking into consideration is the families of these players. Most have wives active in the community and kids in the school systems. This factor may keep at least a few players in the same organizations.

It won't happen. If for some wild reason it did, this is the Detroit Red Wings team I want:

Benn-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Clowe-Filppula-Clarkson

Glencross-Helm-Neil

Beleskey-Chipchura-Tootoo

-McGrattan

Girardi-Enstrom

Kronwall-White

Bickel-Smith

Howard

Biron

I like the toughness, but I can't help but remind you that ALL players would be UFA's. The ONLY guys that I would keep that is on our team now is Datsyuk and possibly Helm. But as long as I still had a shot at the elite of the elite (including goalies) I am not going after any other current Red Wings until I have to.

Zetterberg has been great here, but as long as Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Half the Edmonton team, Tavares, Stamkos and the likes are available, Zetterberg isn't on my team. I would only nab Kronwall if I could land Hedman along with Suter or Weber.

I know there is still a cap, so I do agree with the fact that I cannot have an all star team, but I love the idea of Malkin or Ovie playing top line with Datsyuk over Zetterberg.

Boy it would be super exciting to see Detroit buy a cup again. WooHoo, just what I've been missing. Screw all of that drafting, developing, and working young players into your system, that's not fun or interesting. It's way more sweet when Mike Ilitch can just buy anyone he wants. That's what real hockey looks like.

The guy who posted above me just said he wouldn't sign Zetterberg! Yeah f*** the guy who's played his whole career for you, is the heart and soul of your current lineup, and took a pay cut to stay with you during his prime. Get rid of him! Ilitch can buy better.

I seriously hope that nobody who is in favor of this, and especially nobody that would kick Zetterberg to the curb, ever talks about class in hockey again. You clearly don't know it, don't have it, and wouldn't recognize it if it bit you in the ass.

Edited by kipwinger

Boy it would be super exciting to see Detroit buy a cup again. WooHoo, just what I've been missing. Screw all of that drafting, developing, and working young players into your system, that's not fun or interesting. It's way more sweet when Mike Ilitch can just buy anyone he wants. That's what real hockey looks like.

The guy who posted above me just said he wouldn't sign Zetterberg! Yeah f*** the guy who's played his whole career for you, is the heart and soul of your current lineup, and took a pay cut to stay with you during his prime. Get rid of him! Ilitch can buy better.

I seriously hope that nobody who is in favor of this, and especially nobody that would kick Zetterberg to the curb, ever talks about class in hockey again. You clearly don't know it, don't have it, and wouldn't recognize it if it bit you in the ass.

If I have my choice of Zetterberg or Stampkos or Ovechkin or Malkin playing along side Dastyuk, Z is gone....Especially since the front loaded contracts will be gone so you couldn't ice too many top tier stars...ya sign the guy with the bad back and on the decline of his career, who has slowly done worse and worse each year since 2008...ya, sign him and tell the top 10 talent of the league to take a hike we don't want to win....Now if Z sign a modest contract to be 2nd/3rd line center, thats a different story...but no way am I choosing a chronically hurt older player of a Crosby/Stamkos or Tavares or Malkin/Ovie...

Just for giggles, exactly what Cup did Illitch buy?

Edited by LeftWinger

If I have my choice of Zetterberg or Stampkos or Ovechkin or Malkin playing along side Dastyuk, Z is gone....Especially since the front loaded contracts will be gone so you couldn't ice too many top tier stars...

Just for giggles, exactly what Cup did Illitch buy?

And clearly if you have the choice you'll show no appreciation or loyalty to a good leader, teammate, and hockey player and instead err on the side of money and young legs. Classy dude.

He bought the cup in 2002.

Edited by kipwinger

I know there is still a cap, so I do agree with the fact that I cannot have an all star team, but I love the idea of Malkin or Ovie playing top line with Datsyuk over Zetterberg.

Actually, there would be no cap, because there would be no CBA, because there would be no Players' Association. It would be a complete and total free-for-all.