Photo
- - - - -

Instagram user? Might want to cancel your account by 1/16/13...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

As of January 16th 2013, Instagram will have the right to sell your photos to advertisers, without your consent, and without paying you a dime for your photo. There is only one way to opt out of this practice, and that is to delete your Instagram account BEFORE the 16th of January (any photos still on their site after can still be used, even if you delete your account).

http://news.cnet.com...ll-your-photos/

Granted, I'm not some kind of world renowned visionary photographer, but the photos I take are MY property and mine alone. If Instagram would be willing to ask my permission, or to fairly compensate me for any of my pictures used, it would be a different story. But as such, it's no deal.

They may change this policy before it actually takes effect (huge public backlash), but it's too late for me. I've already cancelled my account and stored my photos manually.

If you're looking for a good app/program similar to Instagram, USAToday ran a story with 5 recommended alternatives.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#2 L3T5G0W1NG5

L3T5G0W1NG5

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

I'm not an Instagram user, but wow, are you kidding me?

Good for Instagram. They offer an amazing service for free. If they want to use yours pics, they should be allowed to. At least they warned you in advance.

"but the photos I take are MY property and mine alone." - FAIL. Whenever you upload something onto the internet, you might as well say goodbye. Who knows how many people have copied your photos, and who knows what have been done with them. If you want to keep them private, don't put them on the internet. Are you new to the interwebz or something? You should know better.

Why the hell should they compensate you? You're using their service for free, now it's time for them to receive something from you.

I hope you don't have a Facebook account, and if you do, why haven't you deleted it yet? I'm sure they've done more than you can imagine with your information.

*if I get a warning point for this, that is complete BS. This is a forum, and I'm just voicing my opinion*

Edited by L3T5G0W1NG5, 19 December 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#3 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Facebook owns Instagram? Now I know.
Anyway, they claim it was a simple case of "misinterpretation".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#4 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Good for Instagram. They offer an amazing service for free. If they want to use yours pics, they should be allowed to. At least they warned you in advance.

"but the photos I take are MY property and mine alone." - FAIL. Whenever you upload something onto the internet, you might as well say goodbye. Who knows how many people have copied your photos, and who knows what have been done with them. If you want to keep them private, don't put them on the internet. Are you new to the interwebz or something? You should know better.

Why the hell should they compensate you? You're using their service for free, now it's time for them to receive something from you.

I hope you don't have a Facebook account, and if you do, why haven't you deleted it yet? I'm sure they've done more than you can imagine with your information.

*if I get a warning point for this, that is complete BS. This is a forum, and I'm just voicing my opinion*

And there are ways to express your opinion that don't involve being an ass.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Exactly why I don't have a Facebook or any of that social media BS. Anything you post (pictures) will be claimed as someone else's property and sold. In addition, its all being monitored. No, thanks.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

This is exactly why I'll never ever use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, G+, Chrome, G-Maps or G-Mail - such services and especially the social media is NOT free they are fishing for your data and once the social media has them, the next thing is to make money with YOUR data (photos, blogs, messages, creativity) so screw them all.

I'm only using imageshack for uploading some NOT important stuff.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#7 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

This is exactly why I'll never ever use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, G+, Chrome, G-Maps or G-Mail - such services and especially the social media is NOT free they are fishing for your data and once the social media has them, the next thing is to make money with YOUR data (photos, blogs, messages, creativity) so screw them all.

I'm only using imageshack for uploading some NOT important stuff.

I don't use any of that either. I don't even use imageshack. I'm on LGW and 2 other hockey forums. I don't really consider them social media.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#8 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I don't use any of that either. I don't even use imageshack. I'm on LGW and 2 other hockey forums. I don't really consider them social media.

Same here, I like some forums and that is why I use them, but SM stuff never and I can't stand the fact, how even serious websites like TSN are using twitter instead of real news.

kftx.jpg

#9 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Never used or received anything from instagram, but this isn't entirely shocking. Always be cautious of what you post up online.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#10 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I couldn't agree more!  being a professional photographer I make sure the images I post online are properly watermarked and at a low enough res they wouldn't be usable.   stuff i post to instagram is for fun only.... i would NEVER post anything business related that I wouldn't want stolen on that account

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#11 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

As of January 16th 2013, Instagram will have the right to sell your photos to advertisers, without your consent, and without paying you a dime for your photo. There is only one way to opt out of this practice, and that is to delete your Instagram account BEFORE the 16th of January (any photos still on their site after can still be used, even if you delete your account).

http://news.cnet.com...ll-your-photos/

Granted, I'm not some kind of world renowned visionary photographer, but the photos I take are MY property and mine alone. If Instagram would be willing to ask my permission, or to fairly compensate me for any of my pictures used, it would be a different story. But as such, it's no deal.

They may change this policy before it actually takes effect (huge public backlash), but it's too late for me. I've already cancelled my account and stored my photos manually.

If you're looking for a good app/program similar to Instagram, USAToday ran a story with 5 recommended alternatives.

You know facebook has had these exact rights for some time right?

#12 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

You know facebook has had these exact rights for some time right?

Doesn't make it a better, a company should have no rights at that kind of stuff without your permission.

kftx.jpg

#13 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Doesn't make it a better, a company should have no rights at that kind of stuff without your permission.

I do not disagree, I am just saying people who would cancel their instagram because of this but not their facebook should know that it would be pointless

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I do not disagree, I am just saying people who would cancel their instagram because of this but not their facebook should know that it would be pointless

True that but I think people that really really love their privacy hardly use one or both of them.

kftx.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users