• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Prospects That Have Missed The Boat

Rate this topic

with not too much to talk about or watch NHL wise this year, I have been trying to watch whatever games I can that involve Red Wings prospects along with doing a lot of reading up on the youngsters....

With the emergence of a lot of top talented 19-22 year old players, I started looking at some of the players who have pretty much missed the boat or their window of opportunity make it to the NHL. My list is as follows, please I would love to hear all of your opinions!

Jordan Pearce

Thomas McCollum

**** Axelsson

Daniel Larsson

Gennady Stolyarov

Jesper Samuelsson

Anton Axelsson

Evegeni Bumagin (way past his prime!)

Andrei Maximenko (another bust in the pan!)

Alexander Seluyanov (another busted Russian)

Those guys are pretty obvious, but also I don't see the Red Wings utilizing Radeke, Fournier, Coetzee too much if at all. Also I think, even though he is in their top 20 prospects, Joakim Andersson isn't gonna cack this lineup fulltime ever...

I have high hopes for Ferraro, Nicastro and even though I think he may be close to missing, Lashoff. Nicastro and Lashoff are two big defensenmen, but they have a ways to go to overtake Sproul and Ouelette not to mention Almqvist who is already playing in GRR and ahead of them on the prospects list. Along with McKee being drafted and the rumblings about the possible signing of DeKeyser...it would be a tough road ahead for Nicastro or Lashoff to get in the lineup. Of course if Holland would gibe up the Kindl experiment, that would help in seeing what they could bring...

This is not set in stone, but if you are already pushing 23 and are still not at least playing in GRR, I think you may have missed the boat...

Arguments on the other thread aside, I honestly think Andersson will play more games for the Wings than Tatar will. I just don't know where Tatar fits in. He's too unfinished to beat out Nyquist or Brunner, and by the time he gets a shot guys like Jarnkrok, Jurco, Tvardon, and Frk might be ready to go ahead of him. I think he'll get traded sooner rather than later.

Edited by kipwinger

I guess I have a different definition of "prospect". Pearce was never a long watched prospect BTW. He was an unsigned and undrafted player coming out of Notre Dame his senior year. He was signed by the Griffins at that time. It wasn't like we signed him when he was a freshman or in juniors. I will agree that he didn't pan out, but to compare him with McCollum is crap. McCollum was drafted in the 1st round and 30th overall. We got Pearce for nothing.

with not too much to talk about or watch NHL wise this year, I have been trying to watch whatever games I can that involve Red Wings prospects along with doing a lot of reading up on the youngsters....

With the emergence of a lot of top talented 19-22 year old players, I started looking at some of the players who have pretty much missed the boat or their window of opportunity make it to the NHL. My list is as follows, please I would love to hear all of your opinions!

Jordan Pearce

Thomas McCollum

**** Axelsson

Daniel Larsson

Gennady Stolyarov

Jesper Samuelsson

Anton Axelsson

Evegeni Bumagin (way past his prime!)

Andrei Maximenko (another bust in the pan!)

Alexander Seluyanov (another busted Russian)

Those guys are pretty obvious, but also I don't see the Red Wings utilizing Radeke, Fournier, Coetzee too much if at all. Also I think, even though he is in their top 20 prospects, Joakim Andersson isn't gonna cack this lineup fulltime ever...

I have high hopes for Ferraro, Nicastro and even though I think he may be close to missing, Lashoff. Nicastro and Lashoff are two big defensenmen, but they have a ways to go to overtake Sproul and Ouelette not to mention Almqvist who is already playing in GRR and ahead of them on the prospects list. Along with McKee being drafted and the rumblings about the possible signing of DeKeyser...it would be a tough road ahead for Nicastro or Lashoff to get in the lineup. Of course if Holland would gibe up the Kindl experiment, that would help in seeing what they could bring...

This is not set in stone, but if you are already pushing 23 and are still not at least playing in GRR, I think you may have missed the boat...

Definitely disagree on Andersson. At this point I think he translates to the NHL easier than anyone not named Nyquist or Smith. Babcock loves the kid, he's putting up better numbers than people expected, plays a hard nosed game, is a big kid, and projects to be the second coming of Sammy Pahlsson. Those are the guys you see traded at the deadline every year now. The guys playoff teams want.

Nyquist is having a good year in Grand Rapids. Tatar has had respectable numbers. I'm not sure where Tatar fits, either. It'll be interesting to see how Andersson and Ferraro pan out. Any predictions on Mitch Callahan? I don't think he'll be much more than a 4th liner.

Tatar's been as good as Nyquist in GR this year... he's really been excellent-- especially with his play off the puck. Tatar's compete level is huge even if he's not.

Tatar's been as good as Nyquist in GR this year... he's really been excellent-- especially with his play off the puck. Tatar's compete level is huge even if he's not.

I don't think the issue is his skill set or his work ethic. The kid's got both in spades. The issue is, he's probably not going to crack the top six for a couple of years given that Nyquist and Brunner are both ahead of him on the depth chart, and given his size and style he really doesn't fit on the bottom six. There's no reason to keep him in the AHL when he's NHL ready and with no room for him, I see them trading him sometime soon.

I don't think the issue is his skill set or his work ethic. The kid's got both in spades. The issue is, he's probably not going to crack the top six for a couple of years given that Nyquist and Brunner are both ahead of him on the depth chart, and given his size and style he really doesn't fit on the bottom six. There's no reason to keep him in the AHL when he's NHL ready and with no room for him, I see them trading him sometime soon.

Wouldn't doubt that at all. Hasn't he made some noise about going back to Europe if he doesn't crack the Wings lineup in the recent past?

I guess his future depends on how Brunner fares once there is a season to play. If Brunner is a bust, then Tatar is next in line. I could see him being traded if Brunner proves to be something worthwhile.

I guess his future depends on how Brunner fares once there is a season to play. If Brunner is a bust, then Tatar is next in line. I could see him being traded if Brunner proves to be something worthwhile.

Yeah I completely agree. There is no guarantee that Brunner will turn out, and if he doesn't then you're right, Tatar will be the next up. However, given that there is no guarantee that Brunner will translate his success to the North American game, I think based on his skill set he's as likely as succeed as almost any Euro I've ever seen. He's got the skating and the shot, and considering he's not going to have to toil away on the bottom two lines but will instead go straight onto a skill/scoring line I think he'll do just fine.

Check out this goal at 1:15...

It reminds me a lot of this one, which bodes well for us given the quality of our centers...

I have never been high on Tatar, Kindl, Mursak. Axelsson had some really great tools but lacks work ethic, discipline and skating.

Despite Smith, Nyquist there is not much guaranteed NHL quality in the minors sad but true.

I think we have some good young talent..both Oulette and Paterson are playing for Canada, Frk and Faska as Propects for the Czechs. I know we are a ways away but right now Tatar, Nyqvist, Smith could be playing up here if we were a weaker team. There with a few guys ( Jurco, Lashoff and Mrazek) I can see here in the next 2-3 years.

I think we have some good young talent..both Oulette and Paterson are playing for Canada, Frk and Faska as Propects for the Czechs. I know we are a ways away but right now Tatar, Nyqvist, Smith could be playing up here if we were a weaker team. There with a few guys ( Jurco, Lashoff and Mrazek) I can see here in the next 2-3 years.

aside from nyqvist and smith, who i cannot wait to see up full time....

jurco is going to be incredible. before we got him, i was looking over the prospects hoping we'd pick him.. so glad we did. I just hope he gets a year up with pavel still in the line up to mentor him a little. also, i think mursak (given a chance) might surprise a lot of people.

edit: mursak given a chance on a scoring line**

Edited by amato

Guest The Axe

aside from nyqvist and smith, who i cannot wait to see up full time....

jurco is going to be incredible. before we got him, i was looking over the prospects hoping we'd pick him.. so glad we did. I just hope he gets a year up with pavel still in the line up to mentor him a little. also, i think mursak (given a chance) might surprise a lot of people.

edit: mursak given a chance on a scoring line**

Thats just it. Our forward prospects are all trash if you take z and pavs out of the equation. Thats what scares me. We havent had a zetterberg or datsyuk show up in our system for quite some time.

Thats just it. Our forward prospects are all trash if you take z and pavs out of the equation. Thats what scares me. We havent had a zetterberg or datsyuk show up in our system for quite some time.

So there may be some growing pains and they will have to build through the draft