• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Prospects That Have Missed The Boat

Rate this topic

:eh:

So I'm the only person here who still thinks McCollum could win the Vezina?

not sure if you're serious either.. but i don't know, I was at the one game that McCollum played for the wings.... not saying that it's as good as he'll get, but that game was painful to watch.

not sure if you're serious either.. but i don't know, I was at the one game that McCollum played for the wings.... not saying that it's as good as he'll get, but that game was painful to watch.

And Howard was something like 0-5 in his first bunch of call-up games with the Wings.

Listen, I'm not saying we're ever going to see McCollum establish himself as an NHL regular, but he's playing really well in GR right now (check out the 31 save 2-1 shoot out win on the weekend) and I'm not ready to throw him under the zamboni just yet.

Also, since we're talking about prospects, it's worth pointing out that Ferraro (finally healthy) is 4th in GR scoring, only 5 points back of Nyquist. He kills penalties like a mad-man too. He and Andersson have Red Wings written all over them. Super cheap future 3rd liners.

I think the problem with Detroit's prospects is that there are very very few elite players knocking on the door. This maybe the source of most of the LGW cynicism.

And Howard was something like 0-5 in his first bunch of call-up games with the Wings.

Listen, I'm not saying we're ever going to see McCollum establish himself as an NHL regular, but he's playing really well in GR right now (check out the 31 save 2-1 shoot out win on the weekend) and I'm not ready to throw him under the zamboni just yet.

Also, since we're talking about prospects, it's worth pointing out that Ferraro (finally healthy) is 4th in GR scoring, only 5 points back of Nyquist. He kills penalties like a mad-man too. He and Andersson have Red Wings written all over them. Super cheap future 3rd liners.

I think the problem with Detroit's prospects is that there are very very few elite players knocking on the door. This maybe the source of most of the LGW cynicism.

yeah, i know.. i wasn't saying that he's going to suck because of it. it just hurt haha but yeah, we have good prospects but not elite prospects (other than smith and maybe nyq) but i think our future will be just fine.

yeah, i know.. i wasn't saying that he's going to suck because of it. it just hurt haha but yeah, we have good prospects but not elite prospects (other than smith and maybe nyq) but i think our future will be just fine.

Yup. And then there's Jarnkrok. I'll stick my neck out and guarantee that he's at least a 2nd line centre in 2-3 years.

That was on the organization...and bad luck. There is no F'n way he should have been called up. He wasnt prepared...he was nervous.It was a set back and it really hurt him and his confidence. I have seen this kid at Training Camp and he looks solid there. Goalies really dont flourish until mid to late 20's so im not worried. Howard was average in GR....so I wouldnt throw in the towel on him yet.

Guest The Axe

Well said.

Guest Crymson

Howard won one of his first three games with the Wings; he played these three in the '05-'06 season. In 2008, he was called up to play behind an injury ravaged defense. Despite facing an absurd number of shots per game, he still gave the team the chance to win each time. You're making it seem as if he sucked it up in his initial times in the NHL, and that's just not true.

I agree, thats why I've have mentioned Smith and Nyquist before everone else. Both these guys are going to be at least for sure NHLers most of the other guys like Jarnkrok, Jurco and even Tatar are your typical late round b or b type of prospects.

I am hardly worried about our goaltending, the Monster given a real chance will surprise a lot of people if Howard struggles. Not giving up on McCollum yet, even if he just becomes a backup having a reliable backup is hardly a bad thing.

but yeah despite S & N Holland will need to build through draft and UFAs soon.

Guest The Axe

Howard won one of his first three games with the Wings; he played these three in the '05-'06 season. In 2008, he was called up to play behind an injury ravaged defense. Despite facing an absurd number of shots per game, he still gave the team the chance to win each time. You're making it seem as if he sucked it up in his initial times in the NHL, and that's just not true.

He is average. He's always been average.

Harsh. I think you're trying to stir the pot.

But I'll bite because my counter is in line with this thread's topic.

Howard is above average. Maybe even great at some point. But he's not elite. And he was never an elite prospect. Neither are Smith and Nyquist, or any players below them on the prospect depth chart. But then again, who's to say how any of these guys will turn out.

Was Yzerman the last Wings superstar that was "supposed" to be a superstar, according to draft rank?

Edited by rick zombo

Its hard to be average (when healthy), you are consistantly at the top of the game

GAA-

2011- 6th

2010- 5th

Hiller is average, Vokoun is average, Giguere is average. Jimmy is a very solid goalie.....

Alexei Marchenko will be on the roster by 2014/15 season. Playing with Pasha at CSKA this year the steady young blueliner is starting to find his feet in the KHL and is getting more ice time because of

it. A R/H shot as well which the Wings lack at the back, looks like he could be another late round steal by the Wings scouting system.

Harsh. I think you're trying to stir the pot.

But I'll bite because my counter is in line with this thread's topic.

Howard is above average. Maybe even great at some point. But he's not elite. And he was never an elite prospect. Neither are Smith and Nyquist, or any players below them on the prospect depth chart. But then again, who's to say how any of these guys will turn out.

Was Yzerman the last Wings superstar that was "supposed" to be a superstar, according to draft rank?

In the end I don't think he was a superstar but Keith Primeau was drafted 3rd overall in 1990 and expectations were high.

Looking back it's crazy to think that Central Scouting didn't even rank European players as late as 1990. Jagr was unranked in that draft and went 5th overall. The anti-euro bias was real and went on much later than a lot of people think.

Alexei Marchenko will be on the roster by 2014/15 season. Playing with Pasha at CSKA this year the steady young blueliner is starting to find his feet in the KHL and is getting more ice time because of

it. A R/H shot as well which the Wings lack at the back, looks like he could be another late round steal by the Wings scouting system.

Aren't health concerns a factor for him?

Guest The Axe

Its hard to be average (when healthy), you are consistantly at the top of the game

GAA-

2011- 6th

2010- 5th

Hiller is average, Vokoun is average, Giguere is average. Jimmy is a very solid goalie.....

This is average for playing on the Red Wings. A great goalie would be 1 or 2 on the Wings.

In the end I don't think he was a superstar but Keith Primeau was drafted 3rd overall in 1990 and expectations were high.

Looking back it's crazy to think that Central Scouting didn't even rank European players as late as 1990. Jagr was unranked in that draft and went 5th overall. The anti-euro bias was real and went on much later than a lot of people think.

It wasn't a bias against Europeans; there was always a real question whether or not they would come over to the NHL. That's why guys like Lidstrom, Fedorov, and Konstantinov weren't drafted a lot higher than they were. Why waste a high draft pick, or time making rankings, on a guy you may never even see?