• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
achildr1

2013 World Juniors

Rate this topic

Unless I missed it, no one started a WJC thread. NHL network is playing Slovakia vs Finland (Pulkkinen has one check of a shot...Tvrdon scores) from last year right now...got me thinking about this years tourney.

For all I can tell, we only have Frk and Ouellet playing. Has to be one of the only times recently that we''ve had a man on the Canadian roster. Kind of lame...even the game I'm watching now had three guys in it (Tvrdon, Jurco, Pulkkinen). Plus, Canada really should run away with it. Their team is a virtual all star team compared to everyone else. Outside of Russia having Grigorenko, Yakupov, and home ice...I cant see how anyone other than Canada wins it. Russia and The US have an outside chance.

Who do you want to see?

Like every year Canada is the destinated favorite and this time even by a landslide their is virtually an allstar u20 team. Their only questionmark is going to be goaltending other than that, they are insanely loaded on every position.

I think Russia and Sweden are their biggest opponents, with some chances for the USA and maybe Swiss squad too. I don't thinkk Finland is going to repeat their great run but you'll never know. Really looking forward to this thing, I love seeing some future nhl stars as young guns.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RippedOnNitro" data-cid="2337076" data-time="1356862857"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="WorkingOvertime" data-cid="2337075" data-time="1356862509"><p><br />

Anyone else up early for the USA v Canada game? Canada up 2-0 after the first.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Yep...but then again, it is 11am over here :)</p></blockquote>

Almost 530am here. Jones has made some big mistakes in this tournament for USA. Similarly, Hamilton hasn't impressed me much compared to his hype.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RippedOnNitro" data-cid="2337076" data-time="1356862857"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="WorkingOvertime" data-cid="2337075" data-time="1356862509"><p><br />

Anyone else up early for the USA v Canada game? Canada up 2-0 after the first.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Yep...but then again, it is 11am over here :)</p></blockquote>

Almost 530am here. Jones has made some big mistakes in this tournament for USA. Similarly, Hamilton hasn't impressed me much compared to his hype.

True, Hamilton did not impress me much, but Rielly did so far.

I thought Nugent-Hopkins and Scheifele are playing great, but haven't seen Huberdeau much. Strome also playing good in this tournament.

Galchenyuk also playing a good tournament, and I also like Gibson in goal.

I was hoping to see more from MacKinnon, but not much ice time for him.

I DVRed the game so I didn't have to watch a replay and see NHL Network show the score on the scroller on the bottom. Too bad USA couldn't do much until the end of the game, then it totally got out of hand.

I like what I've seen from Russian and Sweden and I wouldn't underestimate Finland.

Edited by rrasco

Guest Hatethedrake!

Canada looked very solid today. The Russians were outworked and Yakupov didn't do a whole lot. The Russians are playing as individuals right now. Not much team play. I was not too impressed with Canada's work ethic against the Americans but they were full marks for effort today. Drouin was moved up to the top line with The Nuge and Sheiffle. He provided more speed and this line was Canada's best line by far. Boone Jenner had a solid game. He threw alot of hits and his hustle rubbed off. Ouellet was his usual solid self for Canada but Hamilton was the best dman. The Russians look weak on defense in their own zone. They get confused easily and turn the puck over. I think Russia will be better though. The one Russian who was kicked out of the game deserved it. It was a blatant hit from behind cheapshot. Canada scored 2 goals on that 5 minute major. Subban was solid once again. Makarov had an average game for the Russians. He is quite agile though and made some good saves. Hopefully Canada can come back with that excellent 60 minute effort again. They really outplayed the Russians for all 3 periods.

I know it was last year, and no one said they didn't win. It's just funny how he kept saying we win Canada over and over, now he turned away from the Canadian media when he was interviewed today

That would be the clip to post, otherwise I didn't get your reference.

Guest Johnz96

Arguably the best jr aged defenseman in the world is Ryan Sproul and Canada cut him, partially because he just came back from a broken arm at the camp and partially because the coaching staff wasn't as familiar with him as the rest (partially due to the injury and partially because he wasn't part of the Canada jr. program). In the OHL he is scoring at a better PPG clip than Hamilton (widely regarded as the best jr. aged d-man in the world) despite playing for a much weaker team (Niagara Falls is one of the top teams in the OHL with OHL scoring leader and fellow team Canada teammate Ryan Strome as well as Team Canada teammate Brett Ritchie. He is just as big (6'4" 210) as Hamilton and is physical. Sault Ste. Marie are 5-11-1 in games he missed with the broken arm and 14-6-1 with him in the lineup. I don't think Canada would have lost this game with Sproul in the lineup but maybe I am biased seeing that he is a Red Wings' prospect
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show (go to defensemen)

Guest Hatethedrake!

Congrats to Team USA. They played a great game and dominated. I guess Team Canada got too full of themselves after beating Russia. Terrible game all around for Canada. No other way to put it.