• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

Yakupov VS Cherry

Rate this topic

Looks like we got some drama! At least there is something going on...

Yakupov was quoted saying this:

"I understand that I will have to keep a cool head and ignore provocation, especially against the Canadians. These guys play dirty. We got used to that, we played a few games in North America, so our team is ready," he says.

http://rt.com/sport/...pov-canada-816/

And Cherry's response via Twitter:

"I see where Nail Yakupov said Canadian hockey players are dirty," Cherry tweeted Wednesday. "Let me see... We let him take a Canadian kids (sic) spot in the Canadian Hockey League, let him learn his hockey in our program, treat him royally, give him great coaching so he can go number one overall and he calls us Dirty."

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=648318

Cherry really likes those Ruskies...LOL

Gotta love Cherry he's the man never afraid to stand up for his countrymen, way to go.

I always have to laugh at comments like the Canadians are playing cheap/dirty, no they are not. Canadian hockey is a mixture between skill and physicality "playing on the edge type of style"

Someone better tell Yakupov and Company that Jenner will also be back for that game.

I'm not sure I follow. Yakupov says the Canadians are dirty. In order to prove that they aren't Cherry talks about team and league administrative decisions that are made completely off the ice?

Cherry is a retarded dinosaur. Stop listening to this old curmudgeon Canada!

I'm not sure I follow. Yakupov says the Canadians are dirty. In order to prove that they aren't Cherry talks about team and league administrative decisions that are made completely off the ice?

Cherry is a retarded dinosaur. Stop listening to this old curmudgeon Canada!

Cherry is a proud Canadian and an incredible smart hockeymind

Yakupov been thaught NA hockey in Canada (taking away the spot from a Canadian kid) and to thank them for it he is calling the Canadian hockey team dirty.

So how is anything that Cherry has said wrong? He is damn right here, not to knock on Yakupov for sure a fantastic player but Cherry with the homerun :-)

Edited by frankgrimes

Cherry is a proud Canadian and an incredible smart hockeymind

Yakupov been thaught NA hockey in Canada (taking away the spot from a Canadian kid) and to thank them for it he is calling the Canadian hockey team dirty.

So how is anything that Cherry has said wrong? He is damn right here, not to knock on Yakupov for sure a fantastic player but Cherry with the homerun :-)

You're right. Obviously Canadians can't be dirty on the ice because their league executives and owners (off the ice) decided to allow non-Canadians to enter the leagues. Genius.

Edit: Also, how can you honestly think Yakupov should just shut up and then be against the owners in the lockout? Believing that Yakupov should shut his mouth because he receives a lot of benefits from Canadian hockey leagues is not too much different than believing NHL players should shut their mouths because they owe the owners for all the money, fancy hotels, marketing, trainers, etc. etc. etc.

Good to see you have strong consistency!

Edited by kipwinger

You're right. Obviously Canadians can't be dirty on the ice because their league executives and owners (off the ice) decided to allow non-Canadians to enter the leagues. Genius.

Edit: Also, how can you honestly think Yakupov should just shut up and then be against the owners in the lockout? Believing that Yakupov should shut his mouth because he receives a lot of benefits from Canadian hockey leagues is not too much different than believing NHL players should shut their mouths because they owe the owners for all the money, fancy hotels, marketing, trainers, etc. etc. etc.

Good to see you have strong consistency!

So you don't even know the difference between the two topics, nothing to discuss here.

Don't paste something I haven't typed into my post. The next time either try harder or know the topic you are talking about.

Edited by frankgrimes

He's has his moments, but Don Cherry is mostly a pig-headed idiot.

Signed: A very very proud Canadian and huge hockey fan.

Pig-headed idiot, that's much better than "ranting, xenophobic, out of touch, old muckraker". I actually like yours better.

I'm sure Don can think of dozens of good Canadian boys who can put up 160 pts. in 107 games. And I'm sure the owners and league administrators only allow foreigners like Yakupov to play out of the goodness of their hearts and not because superstars like Yakupov bring much needed revenue, prestige, etc. to these rinky dink junior hockey programs.

Edited by kipwinger

I think Bobby Clarke breaking Kharlamov's leg is still well remembered in Russia. In my experience "It does not matter how you win as long as you win" way of thinking is more North American than European. Hence "soft" Europeans and "dirty" Canadians stereotypes (or lazy talented stars vs hard-working gritty average guys). In such arguments one can hardly expect objectivity.

Guest The Axe

Fedorov was the best of both worlds. Slick and practically injury proof. Datsyuk to a little bit lesser extent.

As a child during the "Cold War" 1970's - I honestly don't believe for 1 second the Soviets feared the potential for a American attack with ICBMs...Oh no...Their fears ran much - much deeper.....

I believe they instead feared an attack would include stealthy American aircraft loaded-up with Canadian hockey players - parachuting upon them while they slept...During the night like busy lil'beavers the Canadian Hockey Commandos would construct 'Tim Horton' donut shops, and North American NHL sized hockey rinks on every street corner.

Before they could acknowledge the sting from a Bobby Clarke 2-hander (and if any comrade would complain - he'd get a Dave Schultz knuckle sandwich) - they were living in an exact replica of Winnipeg with Don Cherry as their mayor.

LOL

Well I am sure both media sites are trying to create something out of nothing here. Yakupov made some comments and Cherry replied to it thats all.

The game will for sure be decided by the better defensive team, Canada's lockout line was insane against Germany but the first true test will be against the USA, if they beat this team easily too then Russia is going to have a very hard time overcoming the Canadians.

Well I am sure both media sites are trying to create something out of nothing here. Yakupov made some comments and Cherry replied to it thats all.

The game will for sure be decided by the better defensive team, Canada's lockout line was insane against Germany but the first true test will be against the USA, if they beat this team easily too then Russia is going to have a very hard time overcoming the Canadians.

Gauging by their performances against Sweden and Germany, Can and USA seem to be on very similar paths. USA vs Swe (3-2 OT), Can vs Swe (2-1 SO), Can vs Ger (9-3), USA vs Ger (8-0). We'll see how that pans out when they hit the same ice.

In European hockey, what is considered "dirty" is different than what Canadians call "dirty" hockey. It's always been that way.

It's just a different style of hockey and different ideals for what's considered sportsmanlike.

This, plus although I am not an apologist for Yakupov, I have lived in many countries around the world and work with people from several nationalities I have to wonder about Yakupov's proficiency of the english language. On several occasions foreign nationals with a "less than normal" grasp of the english language have said a few things that have riled some feathers with their american counterparts and not meant to. Maybe it's not what he meant at all, maybe...oh f*** it nuke the commie bastard!

Cherry is wrong, they didn't LET him in the CHL, they WANTED him in the CHL just sao he didn't go elsewhere. IF not the CHL then maybe an American College or maybe the WHL, etc... the CHL wanted to best young prospect in the world to grace their league, so Cherry is WAY off target with his statement...

As a child during the "Cold War" 1970's - I honestly don't believe for 1 second the Soviets feared the potential for a American attack with ICBMs...Oh no...Their fears ran much - much deeper.....

I believe they instead feared an attack would include stealthy American aircraft loaded-up with Canadian hockey players - parachuting upon them while they slept...During the night like busy lil'beavers the Canadian Hockey Commandos would construct 'Tim Horton' donut shops, and North American NHL sized hockey rinks on every street corner.

Before they could acknowledge the sting from a Bobby Clarke 2-hander (and if any comrade would complain - he'd get a Dave Schultz knuckle sandwich) - they were living in an exact replica of Winnipeg with Don Cherry as their mayor.

LOL.

I'm pretty sure Canada vs Russia wouldn't make much of a war.

This, plus although I am not an apologist for Yakupov, I have lived in many countries around the world and work with people from several nationalities I have to wonder about Yakupov's proficiency of the english language. On several occasions foreign nationals with a "less than normal" grasp of the english language have said a few things that have riled some feathers with their american counterparts and not meant to. Maybe it's not what he meant at all, maybe...oh f*** it nuke the commie bastard!

From my understanding Yakupov was interviewed by a Russian newspaper, so either something has been lost during the translation or he really meant it. In terms of hockey I think Canada vs Russia is a nice war *g*

Cherry is wrong, they didn't LET him in the CHL, they WANTED him in the CHL just sao he didn't go elsewhere. IF not the CHL then maybe an American College or maybe the WHL, etc... the CHL wanted to best young prospect in the world to grace their league, so Cherry is WAY off target with his statement...

Yeah but he still did learn the NA way of hockey in the CHL. Maybe I am in the minority here but I love such PR stunts, maybe the WJ will gain some attention I like the tournament.