• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

NHL submits offer to NHLPA - **Suspension Warning Post #70 & #273*

Rate this topic

Lebrun and Dreger are posting a series of tweets about a new offer made by the NHL to the PA. (Too many to post links to individual tweets, so these are just links to their twitter page).

LeBrun...

An NHL player says the NHL made a new offer to the NHLPA on Thursday, one which moved on contract term limits, buyouts and variance...

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly would not confirm it when reached

NHL offer calls for term limit on player contracts to be six years (7 if you're re-signing your own guys).

New offer sees each team afforded one compliance buyout prior to 2013-14 season. Doesn't count vs. cap but it does vs. players' share

Also the Make Whole $$$$ stays at $300 million

At this point there is no scheduled meeting between both sides set for today. NHLPA needs time to review lengthy and detailed offer from NHL

Dreger...

Among the changes in the new proposal, the NHL adjusted its max contract length from 5 to 6 yrs. Boosted the variance from 5% to 10%

Hard to imagine the NHL's latest proposal doesn't result in potentially season-saving meetings. Players wanted flexibility and they got it.

Sounds like the league has made some interesting concessions, moving towards the players on the contracting issues. Also interesting to see that the league is offering each team one compliance buyout to get back under the cap.

So - from what I can gather.....It's pretty much where the owners left off from their meeting with the players from a few weeks ago - only with 6 years for UFAs (instead of 5 years), and a "buyout" per franchise.

Sounds like it. And the increase in contract variance to 10% instead of 5%.

It's still early in the news cycle for this offer, though. When/if more details become public, we might see additional concessions (or possibly demands) from the owners' side.

I'm attributing the NHL's new offer to this recent tweet by Dr. Ruth:

@AskDrRuth: Members of Congress who can't compromise probably aren't good lovers. Sex requires give and take.

Insult a man's sexual prowess and it's on. If the season is saved I think we should send Dr. Ruth a fruit basket or something...

Now - does Fehr still act as the lead negotiator for the players?..Can he "nix" this latest offer?

Yes. The PA voted in favor of the Disclaimer of Interest, but they have yet to officially de-certify, so Fehr is still representing the PA. However, I don't think Fehr has the kind of power to unilaterally "nix" an offer. He could recommend the players push for more, but I don't think he could just say No, and force the players to live under whatever CBA he agrees to.

At this point - this seems like a good/fair offer...I'm under the impression the split of revenue is still 50/50?

I believe so, yes. Nothing I've seen says anything otherwise, and from the previous negotiations, I think everyone has come to accept that 50/50 is going to happen.

IMHO - if the players don't accept, or take this offer seriously - then goodbye NHL season 2012/2013.

Agreed.

Lebrun's following up, stating that the offer is for 10 years, with mutual opt-out after 8. And this tidbit...

Should mention that in NHL offer the league maintains desire to change start of free agency from July 1 to July 10

I am definitely pro-player in this ordeal. IMHO, the players deserve the lions share of the pie. However, I do admire the owner's attempts at making offers. I mean, if nobody is making any offers, then nothing will get done. The owners are definitely taking charge in that respect and dropping ideas out there to see if anything catches. This is how negotiating is done properly.

More thoughts from LeBrun...

Players I've spoken with hope NHL offer leads to something but $60 M cap in Year 2 still a major concern (escrow)...

My sense is that there's still some back and forth that needs to happen in this thing...

But certainly I think league made major steps in this offer, no question

Eklund's gained credibility over breaking this new offer is actually more interesting than the offer itself lol.

It's nice that this will lead to a deal but it's annoying that everyone involved knew it would probably be January till a deal was done pretty much right from the start. We as fans cannot let the owners/players forget about this BS lockout, not for a long time.

Eklund's gained credibility over breaking this new offer is actually more interesting than the offer itself lol.

It's nice that this will lead to a deal but it's annoying that everyone involved knew it would probably be January till a deal was done pretty much right from the start. We as fans cannot let the owners/players forget about this BS lockout, not for a long time.

I agree. The best way to speak is with your wallet. The NHL makes a ton of money off gate receipts. Just don't go to games. That will be a pretty big blow to the NHL. The problem is that many people aren't dumping their season tickets over this. So the NHL and NHLPA have zero incentive to do anything for the fans.

Guest Playmaker

Part of the problem is the owners keep saying that *THIS* is their best, final offer...they've been saying this since October, and keep coming back with different, slightly better offers. This is what's giving Fehr the confidence to tell the players to hold out longer for a better offer.

I agree. The best way to speak is with your wallet. The NHL makes a ton of money off gate receipts. Just don't go to games. That will be a pretty big blow to the NHL. The problem is that many people aren't dumping their season tickets over this. So the NHL and NHLPA have zero incentive to do anything for the fans.

nonsense. only the nhl can use the "fans coming back" card

the players are just innocent bystanders who only care about the game of hockey :rolleyes:

I guess that will depend on the league's reaction to it. Hopefully they don't throw a fit that the PA has the nerve to negotiate off their offer.

I agree. The compromise has to come from both sides for a deal to be done. The NHL compromises, now if the NHLPA can play ball and do the same thing, then the NHL follows suit, we should have some real traction.

For negotiations to move into the right direction 2 things need to happen:

1) The NHLPA counterproposal MUST not insult the owners... they must work directly off of the NHL's proposal.

2) The NHL and Gary Bettman CANNOT throw a hissyfit and break off communication again because there is no time for that.

If either of these 2 things happen then the season is over.

Guest Playmaker

It seems so far though, that hasn't been the case. The NHL's offers are always take it, as is, or leave it. No room for negotiation. That's been a huge issue that I have with the owners. It would be nice if a deal was reached, but it's almost too little, too late for me. I will probably catch some games on TV, but that's the extent of it. Gave up my season tickets after the last lockout, but seems like not enough other fans did or will follow suit this time, which means another lockout in the future.

It seems so far though, that hasn't been the case. The NHL's offers are always take it, as is, or leave it. No room for negotiation. That's been a huge issue that I have with the owners. It would be nice if a deal was reached, but it's almost too little, too late for me. I will probably catch some games on TV, but that's the extent of it. Gave up my season tickets after the last lockout, but seems like not enough other fans did or will follow suit this time, which means another lockout in the future.

Its either the NHL "Take it or leave it" attitude or the NHLPA "overhauling the whole deal". Neither of these attitudes are acceptable or constructive to a deal being made.

Guest irishock

This'll fall apart. I'm pro cancelling the entire season rather than the false hope they give us.