• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

NHL submits offer to NHLPA - **Suspension Warning Post #70 & #273*

Rate this topic

Guest irishock

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-jan-19-opening-day-feature-huge-slate-015203737--nhl.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If season starts on Jan 19

- 7 divisional games (We'd have 7 vs Columbus... LOL)

- 1 home and away against every other conference team

- no interconference games

-opening night features rivalry match-ups

-Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia

- gotta think the Wings face the Blackhawks

Told sides are still meeting as of 12:03 p.m.

Guest irishock

reports say players are leaving which would imply meeting is over

Don Fehr is about to speak.

Fehr: parties moved closer together on some issues but still a ways to go

NHLPA did not filed for disclaimer, source just told me.

Fehr -- we expect to meet to 2mrw; differences between us remain core economic issues other than share... #NHLlockout

meeting will continue tomorrow at 10am

Kypreos: Bettman adamant for 60 mil salary cap in '13-'14

-would crush big markets

-again, even more parity than needed

-some owners would side with the PA when dealing with this (f*** speak up)

NHLPA did not file disclaimer but will ask players for authorization again to do so if talks don't "soon" produce a deal

Fehr said they will keep their legal options open. Disclaimer wasn't filed by union. They will be back at it at 10 am EST. Mediator in room.

Told mediator has actually been involved all week long - not just today

Bettman -- we even had some philosophical discussions about why some issues are important to each side

Philosopher. Gary. Bettman.

Edited by irishock

Guest irishock

I'm told one item that hasn't been part of the NHLPA's offers is a cap on escrow.

A major issue still to be resolved in NHL talks is the 2013-14 salary cap. League looking for $60M, NHLPA asking for $65M.

Bettman says the pension plan is a very complicated issue, "but that is something we understand is important to the players."

Likely the issue that was solved today:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHLPA decided to make an important concession. They don't ask for a cap on escrow anymore.

If the union does take a second vote on disclaimer it won't just be for show. They will go ahead. #NHLPA

Edited by irishock

Guest irishock

Phil Parent from HFBoards: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/member.php?u=105425

My reading of this all before I get to bed...

- No insider said anything of any mediator. This is a big enough detail to miss that it tells me no writer has a solid contact inside the room that will absolutely leak everything. At best, some of them are being used when it's convenient, at worse, most of them just make stuff up that's based in enough logic to pass for the truth.

So take anything- from Eklund to freakin' Pierre LeBrun- for what it's worth.

Edited by irishock

Guest irishock

Although there's still some "key" issues, none of them seem to be deal-breakers. We have the cap, the pension, and 6 vs 7 as maximum lengths of contracts. Cap/escrow thing is now taken away..

Just not worth wasting an entire season on that crap.

Doug Maclean of Rogers Sportsnet rips both sides for taking this long to argue over pensions when you already have 50/50, CBA duration settled.

With an average career length of six-plus seasons, pensions shouldn't (and isn't going to) be overlooked by the membership.

Doug MacLean doesn't have to worry about his "pension"; he's busy shilling for Mercedes-Benz Burlington and checking his cellphone for his next real job opportunity in hockey.

Sixty-million cap (supposedly) should make some owners more than a little nervous.

Guest RedWingsDad
Doug MacLean doesn't have to worry about his "pension"; he's busy shilling for Mercedes-Benz Burlington and checking his cellphone for his next real job opportunity in hockey.

Doug MacLean's personal financial situation and career opportunities do not invalidate his opinion...which seemed to be the premise of your statement.

At any rate, I took a risk and wore my Bertuzzi jersey to work today... hoping for some magic to happen with the lockout talks.

That can be a significant help...I wonder if anyone "decent" will be bought out, and possibly become available as a UFA?

Oh cool, now Minny can buy out two $5M players instead of Parise or Suter. Or they could just play with 16 players.

Guest RedWingsDad
That can be a significant help...I wonder if anyone "decent" will be bought out, and possibly become available as a UFA?

I guess it's a testament to Holland that there are no *glaring* individuals I can think of that the Wings should get rid of. Not to say a few don't stand out, just that there are no ridiculously underachieving overpaid players on the team.

Guest RedWingsDad
lol

I think Holland pretty much saw this coming; chances are we'll be "ok".

I'm keen on seeing what other teams will do; anyone out there care to take a stab at who might be let go?

I'm thinking Komisarek by Toronto...It's too bad he never played as well in Toronto as he had while in Montreal.

Leino (Buffalo). Luongo (Vancouver). Gomez (Montreal).

NHL and mediator still waiting to hear from NHLPA. Not sure when PA will finish internal meetings and talks will resume.

Just spoke to an NHL player if they would still file a disclaimer, "Too early to tell but we still have the power."

No shortage of "will" to get a deal done, however, I'm told PA vets, Shane Doan and Marty St Louis are very focused on the end game.

NHLPA has until Monday to respond to NHL legal action. But is that really a deadline? Not like a ruling will be made then.

Doug MacLean's personal financial situation and career opportunities do not invalidate his opinion...which seemed to be the premise of your statement.

I'm still trying to find Maclean's playing statistics in the NHL. Sadly, he didn't get to see his six-plus seasons. His level of bias in most cases on this show is a bit much to take seriously.

Guest irishock

The latest I've seen is that the PA is supposed to vote on the DOI again to authorize the board to file. Said to be just to keep pressure on NHL. Some analysts think a deal will be done in 48 hours. We'll see.

Guest irishock

So wait. It was Don Fehr himself -- the bogeyman, salary-cap crusher -- who decided against disclaimer last night? Hmm.

The first group session b/w the NHL and NHLPA is over. The sides are expected to get back together again today, but time is still TBD.

Edited by irishock

What affect do you guys think these compliance buyouts and the cap reduction will have on free agent signings and trades? Obviously the teams well below the cap will be able to pick up some better players in theory, but given their own personal financial situations it seems unlikely that any will be big spenders. Additionally, all the other teams who are tight against the cap will likely make few or no moves. This could have a serious downward impact on free agent contracts for a couple of years at least.

Guest irishock

Hearing rumours NHL teams are reaching out to their coaches and telling them to be ready. Some are booking flites to their cities.

NHL has gone back to original language on HRR after they changed the language this week.Severe penalties still apply. #TSN

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA NHLPA in process of finalizing a time for the vote. Could happen soon. When it does, will take place during 48-hour window

Edited by irishock