• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

NHL submits offer to NHLPA - **Suspension Warning Post #70 & #273*

Rate this topic

John Shannon, former CBC HNIC genius, was on Rogers Sportsnet Hockey Central today and said this: the reason the League made the three-hundred page proposal available for all to see was to show that there were important issues that had now been addressed that had been raised as issues by the players; a couple of examples being health and safety issues and taking away the old "home ice advantage", i.e. making the visitors dressing a more "pleasant" place to deal with (why it has it taken this long for these types of things to be dealt with by the League, I don't know). What he also said was that the League would be shutting down operations in the schedule on three dates every season: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

No biggie on the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, as those are already dominated by the NBA. New Year's Eve leaves the Wings without their traditional New Year's Eve game, which would make me a little sad.

What they should do (IMO, of course) is leave New Year's Eve alone, and make the Wonter Classic the only game played on New Year's Day.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Jedi" data-cid="2337668" data-time="1357352360"><p>

No biggie on the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, as those are already dominated by the NBA. New Year's Eve leaves the Wings without their traditional New Year's Eve game, which would make me a little sad. <br />

<br />

What they should do (IMO, of course) is leave New Year's Eve alone, and make the Wonter Classic the only game played on New Year's Day.</p></blockquote>

Im in favor of that.

Guest irishock

Yes I'm in favor of just winter classic on New year's day. Hope they get rid of AS break as well and make it christmas-NYs break.

Well if they're ready to drop the puck, the thing I'm most interested in is how many fans and advertisers will be back, especially the advertisers. I'm not buying tickets or more Red Wings gear, or even wear Red Wings gear. I'll feel like a fool if I wear Wings stuff, plus I haven't worn any Wings gear since the summer. However I'll check out games on TV to see if arenas are half empty. It's similar to a car wreck on the highway, you can't turn away.

I hope fans react like MLB fans reacted after the strike, but I'm not holding my breath since this is the 3rd work stoppage since 1994. A good percentage of hockey fans, are hockey fans only, and they'll be back right away. The NHL is going to have to win me back.

Edit: Speaking about not turning away, I find the business of sports very interesting, plus I'm a Business Admistration College Graduate and have two small business of my own. As annoyed and pissed off I am with this League, I can't completely turn away. I'm shocked that they'd let the lockout go this far after huge growth in the sport the last 7 years, and want to see if they're smart enough to recover their losses. Until the League wins me back, I now feel like an outsider looking in with a business interest. Plus Baseball has always been my #1 sport, that's the sport I can't live without. I can honestly say, news of a CBA almost done doesn't excite me. I did miss the game, especially when there was nothing else on TV to watch, but I'm past the point now of looking forward to the season starting.

Edited by Barrie

Guest irishock

Checking out games in Columbus, Phoenix, Miami, New Jersey, Dallas will be half empty but there's no way Hockeytown will ever say no to hockey. I know many are frustrated with the league, and I can proudly say that I'm not an NHL fan, I'm just a Wings and hockey fan, so I'll be tuning in just like any other season.

Honestly, I watched tons of hockey between 2001-2004. After the last lockout, I cut down a lot (not counting Wings games). I never paid attention to that correlation until recently, but I guess it did affect me somewhat.

Even hardcore fans are bound to be affected somewhat. There's other stuff on TV and the internet besides hockey. I hardly even watched the Finals last year.

Guest irishock

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull

Mediator apparently pulling an all-nighter to try to get #NHL negotiations back on track..

Guest irishock

If the NHLPA disclaims - and that can be as soon as tomorrow at 6:01 - they do so to try and get this settled in short term and save season

Disclaimer not done in court - Fehr sends letter to Bettman advising of disclaimer - then lawsuit can file

(5) If disclaim Fehr no longer leads talks - it would be lawyers negotiating on behalf of indiv players; S. Fehr as non-PA lawyer involved 2

Apparently Bettman said that the season would be canned if the disclaimer is filed, but NHLPA thinks it's just posturing. Either way tomorrow is going to be exciting.

They must be getting somewhere if the mediator was willing to go at it for 12 hours and then wants to meet again tomorrow morning

Mediation only works if sides feel they are close. He cannot arbitrate issues, he only creates possibilities and lines of communication

Mediator Scot Beckenbaugh will meet first with the NHLPA at 10:30 am Saturday.

Edited by irishock

Guest irishock

Red Wings players head to Phoenix to practice and prepare for potential season

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130105/SPORTS0103/301050326/1128/rss16

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?

Edited by irishock

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="irishock" data-cid="2337686" data-time="1357372338"><p>

Red Wings players head to Phoenix to practice and prepare for potential season<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130105/SPORTS0103/301050326/1128/rss16'>http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130105/SPORTS0103/301050326/1128/rss16</a><br />

<br />

<br />

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?</p></blockquote>

Organized practice and European/KHL leagues aren't "fun" enough. That's my only guess :)

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?

I'm sure Sammy is already in perfect shape. Doesn't need to practice........=)

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="irishock" data-cid="2337686" data-time="1357372338"><p>

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?</p></blockquote>

Lidstrom :(

PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.

Issues still include cap in 13\14, max contract and variance. So, "minimal" may not be best word unless significant movement from both.

Franzen having too much fun doing nothing

Edited by spongebob is a wings fan

Guest irishock

Just woke up and it sounds like the mediator has done a great job.

Just landed in NYC. Told that League is in dealing making mood. Will DFehr be in same mood?

Keep hearing/reading sense of energy/optimism around today's CBA talks in NYC. Agent: "teams are gearing up, feels like it will be a go."

Source "tentative deal could be done within 24 hrs or #NHLPA could serve #NHL notice to disclaim early as 2day. Present meeting is huge.

For the first time in months there is optimism surrounding these talks#NHL #NHLPA

Michael Grange@michaelgrange

Face to face session between NHLPA and #NHL came about at the suggestion of the mediator who felt things had progressed enough to meet.

Nick Kypreos on Sportsnet, "Have made tremendous strides on Key issues, still some work to be done."

Been cautioned there is still work to be done. Don't forget the disclaimer vote at 6:00 p.m. looms large. #NHL #NHLPA

Edited by irishock

Guest irishock

If a deal is reached, I suggest the NHL should start the season on the 15th, with 50 games. 5 against your division (20 total), 3 against all other conference teams (30 total).

HUGE: John Shannon@JSportsnet

Told the pension issue was resolved a while ago. For all you Actuaries....it will be a Defined Benefits pension, funded by the players.

Issues remain:

2013-14 hard cap: League at 63 mil, NHLPA at 65 mil.

Variance

Max contracts (NHLPA at 7, NHL at 6)

Seems to be more optimism on the NHL side than the PA side, which is interesting. It has been PA saying they're close, NHL saying not.

Edited by irishock