• This topic is locked This topic is locked
384 replies to this topic

#221 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

That can be a significant help...I wonder if anyone "decent" will be bought out, and possibly become available as a UFA?

Oh cool, now Minny can buy out two $5M players instead of Parise or Suter.  Or they could just play with 16 players.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#222 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

That can be a significant help...I wonder if anyone "decent" will be bought out, and possibly become available as a UFA?

I guess it's a testament to Holland that there are no *glaring* individuals I can think of that the Wings should get rid of.  Not to say a few don't stand out, just that there are no ridiculously underachieving overpaid players on the team.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#223 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Oh cool, now Minny can buy out two $5M players instead of Parise or Suter.  Or they could just play with 16 players.

lol

I guess it's a testament to Holland that there are no *glaring* individuals I can think of that the Wings should get rid of.  Not to say a few don't stand out, just that there are no ridiculously underachieving overpaid players on the team.

I think Holland pretty much saw this coming; chances are we'll be "ok".

I'm keen on seeing what other teams will do; anyone out there care to take a stab at who might be let go?

I'm thinking Komisarek by Toronto...It's too bad he never played as well in Toronto as he had while in Montreal.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#224 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

lol

I think Holland pretty much saw this coming; chances are we'll be "ok".

I'm keen on seeing what other teams will do; anyone out there care to take a stab at who might be let go?

I'm thinking Komisarek by Toronto...It's too bad he never played as well in Toronto as he had while in Montreal.

Leino (Buffalo). Luongo (Vancouver). Gomez (Montreal).

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#225 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

NHL and mediator still waiting to hear from NHLPA. Not sure when PA will finish internal meetings and talks will resume.

Just spoke to an NHL player if they would still file a disclaimer, "Too early to tell but we still have the power."

No shortage of "will" to get a deal done, however, I'm told PA vets, Shane Doan and Marty St Louis are very focused on the end game.

NHLPA has until Monday to respond to NHL legal action. But is that really a deadline? Not like a ruling will be made then.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#226 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Doug MacLean's personal financial situation and career opportunities do not invalidate his opinion...which seemed to be the premise of your statement.

I'm still trying to find Maclean's playing statistics in the NHL. Sadly, he didn't get to see his six-plus seasons. His level of bias in most cases on this show is a bit much to take seriously. 

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#227 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

52 games isn't going to happen. So it's 48 or nothing, it appears, and that deadline is still eight days away. http://sports.yahoo....-170014947.html

Player told me "PA still feels NHL is purposely hiding money & that we've let all players know about it." This will take a little longer. …

Edited by irishock, 03 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

bringit.jpg

#228 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

The latest I've seen is that the PA is supposed to vote on the DOI again to authorize the board to file.  Said to be just to keep pressure on NHL.  Some analysts think a deal will be done in 48 hours.  We'll see.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#229 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

So wait. It was Don Fehr himself -- the bogeyman, salary-cap crusher -- who decided against disclaimer last night? Hmm.

The first group session b/w the NHL and NHLPA is over. The sides are expected to get back together again today, but time is still TBD.

Edited by irishock, 03 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.

bringit.jpg

#230 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

What affect do you guys think these compliance buyouts and the cap reduction will have on free agent signings and trades?  Obviously the teams well below the cap will be able to pick up some better players in theory, but given their own personal financial situations it seems unlikely that any will be big spenders.  Additionally, all the other teams who are tight against the cap will likely make few or no moves.  This could have a serious downward impact on free agent contracts for a couple of years at least.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#231 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hearing rumours NHL teams are reaching out to their coaches and telling them to be ready. Some are booking flites to their cities.

NHL has gone back to original language on HRR after they changed the language this week.Severe penalties still apply. #TSN

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA NHLPA in process of finalizing a time for the vote. Could happen soon. When it does, will take place during 48-hour window

Edited by irishock, 03 January 2013 - 02:55 PM.

bringit.jpg

#232 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hearing rumours NHL teams are reaching out to their coaches and telling them to be ready. Some are booking flites to their cities.

I would be excited if I had not heard that 2-3x already during these 'negotiations'.

#233 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Getting excited for a change

#234 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

At this point I'd take all tweets with a grain of salt and really only listen to well established sources.  

Even they didn't know the federal arbitrators were involved until recently, so information is pretty clearly locked down tight.  Most everything else is speculation. 

#235 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I would be excited if I had not heard that 2-3x already during these 'negotiations'.

First time I've heard that coaches were informed.

#CBA Don't be surprised that Fehr decided no on disclaimer. Union guy that believes in model. Been told he has advised against it repeatedly

Edited by irishock, 03 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

bringit.jpg

#236 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

First time I've heard that coaches were informed.

True dat.  First time I think it WAS the coaches calling players.

#237 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

NHLPA to hold 5pm conference call to provide update to players.#TSN

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

PA lawyers using Gary Bettman's own words from last night about disclaimer never being uttered as proof PA hasn't threatened to disclaim.

No word yet on when the NHLPA's second "disclaimer of interest" period would end.

Edited by irishock, 03 January 2013 - 05:29 PM.

bringit.jpg

#238 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Both the NHL and NHLPA use the media as their puppets.  Most of the info out there is bogus and there are too many people trying to be the first one to report anything even if it aint true. 

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#239 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Report: PA requests NHL Podium presents Stanley Cup to future champions instead of Bettman.

#240 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Report: League requests Stanley Cup to be awarded to either the PA or the NHL Owners this year

bringit.jpg