• This topic is locked This topic is locked
384 replies to this topic

#321 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

They must be getting somewhere if the mediator was willing to go at it for 12 hours and then wants to meet again tomorrow morning

#322 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

If the NHLPA disclaims - and that can be as soon as tomorrow at 6:01 - they do so to try and get this settled in short term and save season

Disclaimer not done in court - Fehr sends letter to Bettman advising of disclaimer - then lawsuit can file

(5) If disclaim Fehr no longer leads talks - it would be lawyers negotiating on behalf of indiv players; S. Fehr as non-PA lawyer involved 2

Apparently Bettman said that the season would be canned if the disclaimer is filed, but NHLPA thinks it's just posturing. Either way tomorrow is going to be exciting.

They must be getting somewhere if the mediator was willing to go at it for 12 hours and then wants to meet again tomorrow morning

Mediation only works if sides feel they are close. He cannot arbitrate issues, he only creates possibilities and lines of communication

Mediator Scot Beckenbaugh will meet first with the NHLPA at 10:30 am Saturday.

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 12:03 AM.

bringit.jpg

#323 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Red Wings players head to Phoenix to practice and prepare for potential season

http://www.detroitne...0326/1128/rss16

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 02:54 AM.

bringit.jpg

#324 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="irishock" data-cid="2337686" data-time="1357372338"><p>
Red Wings players head to Phoenix to practice and prepare for potential season<br />
 <br />
<a href='http://www.detroitne...0326/1128/rss16'>http://www.detroitne...0326/1128/rss16</a><br />
 <br />
 <br />
So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?</p></blockquote>

Organized practice and European/KHL leagues aren't "fun" enough. That's my only guess :)
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#325 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?

I'm sure Sammy is already in perfect shape. Doesn't need to practice........=)

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 05 January 2013 - 11:24 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#326 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="irishock" data-cid="2337686" data-time="1357372338"><p>

So Pavel is in Russia, Filppula is back, Zetteberg and Brunner in Swiss, now Kronwall, Howard, and Cleary are starting to practice... Hmm, which important Wings player is missing?</p></blockquote>

Lidstrom :(

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#327 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: And the back and forth begins again. Mediator headed to NHL office now "@aaronward_nhl: Federal Mediator has left the meeting with NHLPA."

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#328 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="chances14" data-cid="2337678" data-time="1357356774"><p>
This article nails it<br />
<br />
<a href='http://sports.nation...anger-mistrust/'>http://sports.nation...anger-mistrust/</a></p></blockquote>

Well said.

#329 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Lebrun:

NHL and NHLPA will meet with mediator at 1;15 pm ET                    

#330 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.                    

Issues still include cap in 13\14, max contract and variance. So, "minimal" may not be best word unless significant movement from both.                    

#331 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

And here comes a rush of optimism 

#332 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.                    

Issues still include cap in 13\14, max contract and variance. So, "minimal" may not be best word unless significant movement from both.                    

Once again it's these "minimal" differences that'll steer this season right into the toilet.

I hope both sides just man the f-up, swallow their pride, get over their childish posturing, and hammer out a deal.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#333 spongebob is a wings fan

spongebob is a wings fan

11 TIME CHAMPS

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Franzen having too much fun doing nothing

Edited by spongebob is a wings fan, 05 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

• Nev likes this

#334 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Just woke up and it sounds like the mediator has done a great job.

Just landed in NYC. Told that League is in dealing making mood. Will DFehr be in same mood?

Keep hearing/reading sense of energy/optimism around today's CBA talks in NYC. Agent: "teams are gearing up, feels like it will be a go."

Source "tentative deal could be done within 24 hrs or #NHLPA could serve #NHL notice to disclaim early as 2day. Present meeting is huge.

For the first time in months there is optimism surrounding these talks#NHL #NHLPA

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

Face to face session between NHLPA and #NHL came about at the suggestion of the mediator who felt things had progressed enough to meet.

Nick Kypreos on Sportsnet, "Have made tremendous strides on Key issues, still some work to be done."

Been cautioned there is still work to be done. Don't forget the disclaimer vote at 6:00 p.m. looms large. #NHL #NHLPA

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 02:05 PM.

bringit.jpg

#335 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

If a deal is reached, I suggest the NHL should start the season on the 15th, with 50 games. 5 against your division (20 total), 3 against all other conference teams (30 total). 

HUGE: John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Told the pension issue was resolved a while ago. For all you Actuaries....it will be a Defined Benefits pension, funded by the players.

Issues remain:

2013-14 hard cap: League at 63 mil, NHLPA at 65 mil.

Variance

Max contracts (NHLPA at 7, NHL at 6)

Seems to be more optimism on the NHL side than the PA side, which is interesting. It has been PA saying they're close, NHL saying not.

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 04:03 PM.

bringit.jpg

#336 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

While most reporters are indicating that there has been progress and that there is still work to be done, it should be obvious by now that no one has a clue what's exactly happening in the bargaining room. We never got an indication that the pensions issue was fixed until this morning, and they say that it was actually solved "a while ago". So take all the tweets for what they're worth.

Jags_normal.jpgLarry Brooks

Told that league has indicated willingness to come off $60 for next year, maybe $63-64, but in return for what, I don't know...

What players really have lost so far: est $500-million in salary. But they've gained $300-million in make whole + kept most contract rights.

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 03:21 PM.

bringit.jpg

#337 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Bret Hedican tweets that the lockout is over.  ?!?!?!?

#338 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Bret Hedican tweets that the lockout is over.  ?!?!?!?

Bret Hedican ‏@BretHedican

Nothing official yet that I've heard, but several sources have said it's done. Let's hope this is Official!

What happened was that the former-Hurricane Jeff O'Neill trolled twitter by announcing that the deal is done, and Hedican fell for it, retweeted it, then said that he heard the lockout is over as well. Then, he realized that O'Neill is the worst troll in Twitter history, and so he's backing off saying that nothing's official.

NHL player (not in bargaining room) says he believes "talks are going well." ...

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.

bringit.jpg

#339 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Bret Hedican ‏@BretHedican

Nothing official yet that I've heard, but several sources have said it's done. Let's hope this is Official!

Ya.  After a few minutes to think about it, I think I just wanted to believe it so bad that I posted it.  I'm sorry if I got anybody's hopes up falsely.  But mine got up too.

#340 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Talks are still continuing at this hour. The NHL wants a deal done asap because of the paperwork and logistics involved. Lots of work to do.

Threat of NHLPA disclaimer looms and should encourage settlement in short term

Pensions agreed upon. Sorting out '13-14 cap and variance over length of player contracts. But talks are really progressing.#NHLlockout

Kypreos just said the NHL is up to 63 mil in '13-'14.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Text from plugged in player confirms things are close but hedges with "you never know."

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

NHL Deputy Commish Bill Daly just confirmed to me "There's been movement. And process is moving again."

Edited by irishock, 05 January 2013 - 04:07 PM.

bringit.jpg