Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

the fact that neither side is whining/pouting to the press is a good sign

#163 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Although it hasn't been brought up in negotiations both #NHL#NHLPA have had internal discussions on 4 more teams qualifying for playoffs

doubt it goes through.

bringit.jpg

#164 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Although it hasn't been brought up in negotiations both #NHL#NHLPA have had internal discussions on 4 more teams qualifying for playoffs

doubt it goes through.

That would be terrible, some please explain a scenario in which an extra 4 teams in the playoffs even works out. 2 extra teams in each conference works out to 10 teams, so eliminate half after first round, that's 5 teams left, what do you do with the extra team? 4 extra teams per conference is 12 teams which means it will go down to 6 teams then 3, again what do you do with the extra team?

#165 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2337268" data-time="1357104028"><p>
That would be terrible, some please explain a scenario in which an extra 4 teams in the playoffs even works out. 2 extra teams in each conference works out to 10 teams, so eliminate half after first round, that's 5 teams left, what do you do with the extra team? 4 extra teams per conference is 12 teams which means it will go down to 6 teams then 3, again what do you do with the extra team?</p></blockquote>

Byes for the top 6 seeds in each conference. 3 game series to start between the other 4 teams for the last 2 spots. Then play on as usual.

#166 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I'd have it at 6 teams making the playoffs from each side honestly. NFL style. 

bringit.jpg

#167 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Kypreos says NHLPA wants 7 year max. contract, NHL stuck at 6. 

bringit.jpg

#168 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

They should meet in the middle and go 6 and a half

#169 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

Disclaimer of interest expires at midnight... I don't see the season being saved if the players do it. It worked in the NBA and NFL but the NHL is a new breed.

bringit.jpg

#170 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,904 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

If they're smart, they'll do it.

Unfortunately, we know that is a pretty tough sell. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#171 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

A disclaimer of interest will only be filed if the NHLPA believes that progress isn't being made.  With progress being made recently, they won't file now.  Now if the discussion goes off the rails, then expect that to happen.  If the NHLPA does file for disclaimer of interest, then the season will probably be lost as this will be tossed into the courts.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#172 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

More teams in the playoffs?  Over half the league already makes it in.  I'd rather reduce the teams in the playoffs.  Otherwise, what's the point of the regular season?

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#173 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

doubt it goes through.

Oh, hey. Parity. Awesome.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#174 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Please not more teams in the playoffs. They have already watered down the best event in sports with forced parity.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#175 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I am confused by the apparent lack of discussion on fixing the conferences / divisions. I liked the 4 conference system proposed by the NHL... I wonder if they are not opening that can of worms for fear of further complication? I am hoping it get's addressed soon... would love to see Detroit west less.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 02 January 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#176 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

More teams in the playoffs?  Over half the league already makes it in.  I'd rather reduce the teams in the playoffs.  Otherwise, what's the point of the regular season?

Agreed.  

I understand the owners wanting more teams in the playoffs because it would make them more money, but it'd be almost as bad as the 80s when all but 5 teams made the playoffs. 

#177 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Please not more teams in the playoffs. They have already watered down the best event in sports with forced parity.

Players are bigger, faster, stronger and better than they ever were. There is a much bigger talent pool to select from now than there ever was and the science of nutrition and training has advanced so much.The weakest teams today would easily beat the best teams from 2 decades ago.
But despite the fact that the teams are much more talented now, I would have to agree with your statement.
For the sake of parity to give weaker teams a better chance of winning, Bettman has restricted talent and skill with changes he has implemented to the sport of hockey.

#178 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

See this is what pisses me off...

It's 1 year - the players (read Fehr) should be smart, and bite their tongue, and accept it...

It's this insistence on something by the players is eventually gonna upset the owners - only for them to walk away...These players have gotta remember 1 very simple fact - the owners make their fair share of $$$ outside of hockey; unlike the players they're not getting desperate  for a paycheck.

EDIT - If there's no agreement within the next few days - just keep the NHL'ers locked-out, and bring in the AHL'ers as replacements (I know it wouldn't happen - labor laws and such)...In all seriousness - how many current players in the AHL have any chance of landing a full-time NHL job (top 6 forward/top 4 Dman/starting goalie)?

IMHO the AHL'ers owe their overpaid brethern nothing, and they would probably be more than happy to don the sweater of their respective NHL franchise...Hell - the Toronto Maple Leafs just might have a shot at the Cup.

Edited by F.Michael, 02 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#179 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

What's this, what's this...two added rounds of playoffs? Uncle Gary has had dreams in his onesie about this for a long, long time. Right after three lockouts and team failures in the wrong markets, he would love to be remembered for this. Payment for 30-0 is simple: more revenue for the League and none for the players.

Next up: twenty-game schedule, thirty teams in the playoffs (pending further expansion).

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#180 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

What's this, what's this...two added rounds of playoffs? Uncle Gary has had dreams in his onesie about this for a long, long time. Right after three lockouts and team failures in the wrong markets, he would love to be remembered for this. Payment for 30-0 is simple: more revenue for the League and none for the players.
Next up: twenty-game schedule, thirty teams in the playoffs (pending further expansion).
The comments I've seen on the proposal hint that the extra "round" would be a play in game or shortened play-in series (best of 3) for the bottom two qualifiers. The winner of the play-in then would take on the #1 seed.

Edit: So in essence, they're taking the new wild card format from Major League Baseball.

Edited by ogreslayer, 02 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.