chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I know (i'm, pretty sure anyway) that it takes 3/4 of the owners to fire him

pretty sure that's wrong.

it's 2/3 majority who are present at the meeting

look at page 25 of the document that kip linked to.

it takes 3/4 majority or unanimous to make any most changes or amendments to the nhl constitution. so any powers that bettman was granted, it took majority of the owners to approve them.

#42 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

pretty sure that's wrong.

it's 2/3 majority who are present at the meeting

look at page 25 of the document that kip linked to.

it takes 3/4 majority or unanimous to make any most changes or amendments to the nhl constitution. so any powers that bettman was granted, it took majority of the owners to approve them.

http://www.theglobea..._medium=twitter

"Firing Bettman would require three-quarters of the owners to approve, something he negotiated when he took the job."

This something I was aware of since the last lockout. I am pretty sure it's right

#43 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

"Firing Bettman would require three-quarters of the owners to approve, something he negotiated when he took the job."

This something I was aware of since the last lockout. I am pretty sure it's right

i don't think that article is right

this is what it says in the nhl constitution Page 25 Article VII 7.5

any officer of the league may be removed from office at any time by two-thirds majority of the member clubs present and voting at a meeting of the league, provided that the notice calling such meeting shall include mention of the intention to take such action

FYI, the commissioner is considered an officer of the league as it pertains to the constitution as stated on page 24 of that document

http://multimedia.th...58eb8855bec.pdf

Edited by chances14, 03 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#44 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

sorry but that makes no sense.

booing a guy who has nothing whatsoever to do with the lockout is not sending a message. might as well just start booing every person you see that has a red wings jersey on.

Well with how great these negotiations are going and how smart the people in charge are, cheering Holland would make Bettman think the fans are in favor of the lockout.

I think one way for the League to get fans to come back is to fire Bettman. 20 years of seeing his ugly mug is way too long.

Fehr should go too.

Edited by Barrie, 04 January 2013 - 08:08 AM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#45 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

the wings ownership voted for this lockout aka mike illitch. if you can find me a link that says ken holland is calling the shots for the red wings in this lockout, please share it with me and i will gladly take it back.

there are much more effective and productive ways for fans to express their anger( i.e don't go to games, don't buy merchandise, don't buy center ice, etc). booing a gm who most likely has no say in this lockout makes the fans look ignorant and foolish imo

I didn't say Holland called the shots, I said he physically cast the vote.  My understanding was that he was the Wings' representative at the meeting. I'll try to look for a link if I have a chance, it would be from mid-September.

#46 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

We haven't heard much out of the Wings regarding this lockout.  I'm thinking that Bettman led the teams to believe this would be a short-lived lockout, the players would cave, and the owners would get their money and a season.  Ilitch doesn't seem like the kind of owner who would want to lose a season or handicap his team through a restrictive CBA.  However, the only words we've heard out of the Wings were Devellano's "ranchers and cattle" masterpiece (which earned the team a nice fine) which made me think he believed the owners would overwhelmingly win the labor battle. I can't say he speaks for the entire franchise, there's a reason he was "promoted" from his GM post all those years ago.  But also keep in mind, no representative from the Wings has been involved in the bargaining process, not even when the league brought in those other owners to help broker a deal in November.  Interesting to say the least...

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I didn't say Holland called the shots, I said he physically cast the vote.  My understanding was that he was the Wings' representative at the meeting. I'll try to look for a link if I have a chance, it would be from mid-September.

Even if he did cast the vote, it's part of his job.  That's not necessarily an endorsement of how he feels about it personally. 

I think there's so much anger from the fans about this lockout that they'll boo anyone.  Even some of the hockey writers are getting noticeably angry in their articles on the lockout, Lebrun especially. 

#48 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="haroldsnepsts" data-cid="2337581" data-time="1357318685"><p>
Even if he did cast the vote, it's part of his job.  That's not necessarily an endorsement of how he feels about it personally. <br />
 <br />
I think there's so much anger from the fans about this lockout that they'll boo anyone.  Even some of the hockey writers are getting noticeably angry in their articles on the lockout, Lebrun especially. </p></blockquote>

I wonder if Stevie would get booed?

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="haroldsnepsts" data-cid="2337581" data-time="1357318685"><p>
Even if he did cast the vote, it's part of his job.  That's not necessarily an endorsement of how he feels about it personally. <br />
 <br />
I think there's so much anger from the fans about this lockout that they'll boo anyone.  Even some of the hockey writers are getting noticeably angry in their articles on the lockout, Lebrun especially. </p></blockquote>

I wonder if Stevie would get booed?

Not in Detroit he wouldn't

Well with how great these negotiations are going and how smart the people in charge are, cheering Holland would make Bettman think the fans are in favor of the lockout.

I think one way for the League to get fans to come back is to fire Bettman. 20 years of seeing his ugly mug is way too long.

Fehr should go too.

Can we please not make this into another "fire Bettman" vs. "fire Fehr" thread.  I'm already pretty tired today and don't think I can handle all the excitement. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."