• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest RedWingsDad

Which players will get bought out?

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

Yeah, why would the Red Wings buyout Sammy?

If they didn't want him, they could have just not signed him six months ago.

Maybe because of:

1. Six months ago Salary Cap was over $70M

2. Now, there will be couple of better options for Def (which Holland needs to improve)

3. With lower salary cap it would be STUPID to keep Sammy when you have Brunner which will have to play with Z on the second line.

Everything has CHANGED since this summer

Edited by Dominator2005

Franzen is getting bought out. That one is a given, unless he lights it up in this mini-season and playoffs. The contract length is just too long, and its a relic the Wings don't want or need under a new CBA. They have 2 available buyouts that they have to use this coming summer, and they will use one on Franzen, unless he turns it on in an amazing way.

I'd still be a little surprised if they bought out Mule though I think this season will be an important one for him. The Wings will need him in a big way to get into the playoffs and to go very far. It'll clarify if his past playoff success was an aberration or him living up to his potential.

The shortened season should suit his short attention span though.

Dominator2005 likes this

Well they have the framework done, so we will be having hockey. We don't have much to worry about in buyouts since our cap hit is $61,442,045. The cap for next season is $64.3 million. The only reason we would have to buy out a player is if someone becomes available that we want that would cost us more than $3 million a season. So everyones hopes of franzen being gone are almost completely null and void now. Not to mention he clearly is worth every penny for a 30 goal scorer, even if he does slack off half the season.

just because the wings are set salary cap wise does not mean that they won't buy anyone out. like i mentioned earlier, if you are given the chance to get out of a long term contract for an under performing player (aka franzen) with no consequences salary cap wise, you do take advantage of it. it's not like these amnesty buyouts come around every year. this is going to be a huge season for franzen.

Edited by chances14
Dominator2005 likes this

just because the wings are set salary cap wise does not mean that they won't buy anyone out. like i mentioned earlier, if you are given the chance to get out of a long term contract for an under performing player (aka franzen) with no consequences salary cap wise, you do take advantage of it. it's not like these amnesty buyouts come around every year. this is going to be a huge season for franzen.

This

I would like to add that Kenny will still be looking for the top 2 DEF... and you can't add it with $3m cap space

They could also use the open roster spots so guys like Tatar, Andersson, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Frk, etc. actually have a shot at making the NHL before they're 26 and washed up.

Dominator2005 likes this

Franzens contract is good on the back end, isnt it? Didnt they pay him heavier upfront?

Franzens contract is good on the back end, isnt it? Didnt they pay him heavier upfront?
yes but the cap hit is the same for each year. Pus it's another roster spot that could be used to develop a younger player

All of you proposing, or suggesting, Franzen be bought out have lost your damn minds. He STILL scored 29 goals last year and led the team, on a down year, AND his cap hit is less than 4m a year... Take a look around the league at comparable contracts... Kenny would be certifiably INSANE to buy out his contract and just give him a TON of money to NOT play here... this isn't just cap space, this is real money and this is still a business... Furthermore, I GUARANTEE teams would trade for him, if for nothing more that a low draft pick (and even that is an insane suggestion) if we truly just wanted him gone, so why in the hell would we buy him out?!? Suggestions like this really make me think some people on this board have been enjoying recreational drugs WAYYYY too much...

Wow, it's been a long time since I have posted here. All that I am going to say is that I stopped reading on this forum because of the lockout thread, of which the mods finally locked down, that thread really left a bad taste; no matter what the outcome comes to be.

Having fun reading this thread though. Almost like a FA thread with a few unknowns still hanging out there.

I think the players most likely to get bought out are Sammy, Colliacovo, or Tootoo. I think all three of these players were not ideal signings for Holland, but rather him taking the 'best available' options. If there are more ideal players available that Holland wants to go after, I can see two of them getting bought out - though I think Tootoo is the least likely to go of the three.

Edited by RedWingsDad
hillbillywingsfan likes this

Holland overpaid for Tootoo, but, honestly, I think the guy's gonna be even more important now, with the shortened season, than he would've been with the full 82. Why? Because we're insanely soft and insanely injury-prone - and that's under normal, non-post-lockout circumstances, when everyone's (supposed to be) in top shape. I'm fully expecting at least half of our top-sixers to go down within the first five games.

Off-topic, but...is the site formatting all screwed up for anyone else? Edited by Dabura

Holland overpaid for Tootoo, but, honestly, I think the guy's gonna be even more important now, with the shortened season, than he would've been with the full 82. Why? Because we're insanely soft and insanely injury-prone - and that's under normal, non-post-lockout circumstances, when everyone's (supposed to be) in top shape. I'm fully expecting at least half of our top-sixers to go down within the first five games.

Yeah, very true. I agree he is valuable to our team. I just wonder what Holland would do if an even more 'ideal' enforcer / agitator became available in the off-season through FA or buyout. For the record, if that happened and it was up to me, I would keep Tootoo AND add another like player. I love the Wings, but they are waaay too soft...

I think the players most likely to get bought out are Sammy, Colliacovo, or Tootoo. I think all three of these players were not ideal signings for Holland, but rather him taking the 'best available' options. If there are more ideal players available that Holland wants to go after, I can see two of them getting bought out - though I think Tootoo is the least likely to go of the three.

I agree with ya on Sammy - however IMHO we need Cola on D to help replace what we lost, and Tootoo for that much needed grit/tuff guy presence the Wings have lacked for oh so long...

I'd rather see guys like Bert, and or Miller let go before Cola/Tootoo.

Off-topic, but...is the site formatting all screwed up for anyone else?

It is screwed up for me too,, has been for a bit now. I do not agree Holland overpaid in comparison to the deals being shelled out this off season. This summer every player was worth more money and in order to aquire them they had to pay the going rate. Supply and demand. I like Tootoo, and I think he will do a good job for us. Only thing I dont like is that now I'm going to have to hear Mick and Murph's Tootoo jokes wayyyy more.

Yeah I think Toot's is a very interesting pickup. I really want to get a chance to see him play with the wings. Players just seem to be different when playing with the wings. You never know. Like you said in the other post would love to see another tough guy picked up. The wings will need it in this short season.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

I agree with ya on Sammy - however IMHO we need Cola on D to help replace what we lost, and Tootoo for that much needed grit/tuff guy presence the Wings have lacked for oh so long...

I'd rather see guys like Bert, and or Miller let go before Cola/Tootoo.

I totally agree with you about Cola being needed on D at present, I should have clarified that I think we will buy him out if we can find a more suitable alternative through FA or buyout in the off-season.

Buy-outs can't be done until after the 2013 season. At that point, both Sammy & Colaiacovo will be in the last year of their deals at $3m & $2.5m respectively. Tootoo will have 2 years left at $1.9. Given the years remaining, buying out Tootoo makes more sense but it's not like he's costing the Wings a whole lot at $1.9.

Personally, the only possible buy-outs I see are The Todd and/or Carlo if their health goes south this year. From a long-term cap flexibility standpoint though, the ones that would really make sense are Hank, Mule, & Kronner actually, but I don't think any of those (including Franzen) will happen.

Buy-outs can't be done until after the 2013 season. At that point, both Sammy & Colaiacovo will be in the last year of their deals at $3m & $2.5m respectively. Tootoo will have 2 years left at $1.9. Given the years remaining, buying out Tootoo makes more sense but it's not like he's costing the Wings a whole lot at $1.9.

Personally, the only possible buy-outs I see are The Todd and/or Carlo if their health goes south this year. From a long-term cap flexibility standpoint though, the ones that would really make sense are Hank, Mule, & Kronner actually, but I don't think any of those (including Franzen) will happen.

The angle I am looking at is that Holland would buy out Sammy, Col, or whomever to free up cap space to go after a more desirable FA during this off-season. I don't think long-term cap hit would be his primary concern... partly because I don't think he will want to dump any of our longer term contracts.

Rick D likes this

I think GMs like Holland should be rewarded for being cap compliant right now. Something needs to be done to give responsible GMs some leverage over the crappy ones. It really sucks that some of these teams that have signed players to HORRIBLE contracts are going to be given a "get out of jail free" card.

No ones going to buy out a player they just signed..

:siren:

Like it or not, Sammy, Tootoo & Carlo will all be here throughout this year at least.

Holland JUST signed Colaiacovo, Tootoo, Sammy, Monster, Brunner, and re-signed Bert. If Brunner doesn't pan out his contract will be done at years end anyways. Bertuzzi won't be bought out unless he completely tanks this season. Sammy and Colaiacovo would really have to screw up to get bought out right after being signed, along with Monster. Tootoo just needs to get under the other teams skin to stay on our team.

My choice would be Quincey (if we can pick up a decent d-man and a #1-3 dman) and Abdelkader. I like that Mursak and Kindl will be done after this year assuming they do not re-sign him, and I like Colaicovo. He is a solid d-man in his own end works hard and does his job, if (and thats a big IF) he can stay healthy for the majority of the season he could definately be a #3-4 dman for us.

The angle I am looking at is that Holland would buy out Sammy, Col, or whomever to free up cap space to go after a more desirable FA during this off-season. I don't think long-term cap hit would be his primary concern... partly because I don't think he will want to dump any of our longer term contracts.

Might all depend on whether Kenny gets Flip, Howie, & Brunner resigned & who gets bought out from other teams but I don't see Kenny being a big UFA player, especially when it comes to the forward ranks. The need is going to be on D if White & Kindl aren't re-signed. Looking through the UFA list for after this season, I don't see any names that should take big money to sign, that is again unless a big name gets bought out. As it stands now, the Wings aren't looking bad at all with roughly $20m in cap space going into this next offseason.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2338073" data-time="1357536482"><p>

All of you proposing, or suggesting, Franzen be bought out have lost your damn minds. He STILL scored 29 goals last year and led the team, on a down year, AND his cap hit is less than 4m a year... Take a look around the league at comparable contracts... Kenny would be certifiably INSANE to buy out his contract and just give him a TON of money to NOT play here... this isn't just cap space, this is real money and this is still a business... Furthermore, I GUARANTEE teams would trade for him, if for nothing more that a low draft pick (and even that is an insane suggestion) if we truly just wanted him gone, so why in the hell would we buy him out?!? Suggestions like this really make me think some people on this board have been enjoying recreational drugs WAYYYY too much...</p></blockquote>

This is my sentiment. Im not a huge fan, but the contract for Franzen is fair.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2338073" data-time="1357536482"><p>

All of you proposing, or suggesting, Franzen be bought out have lost your damn minds. He STILL scored 29 goals last year and led the team, on a down year, AND his cap hit is less than 4m a year... Take a look around the league at comparable contracts... Kenny would be certifiably INSANE to buy out his contract and just give him a TON of money to NOT play here... this isn't just cap space, this is real money and this is still a business... Furthermore, I GUARANTEE teams would trade for him, if for nothing more that a low draft pick (and even that is an insane suggestion) if we truly just wanted him gone, so why in the hell would we buy him out?!? Suggestions like this really make me think some people on this board have been enjoying recreational drugs WAYYYY too much...</p></blockquote>

This is my sentiment. Im not a huge fan, but the contract for Franzen is fair.

Franzen would have been worth about 6mil in free agency this off season, I stand by the fact that anyone who can score 30+ goals for us is worth 4mil.

stevkrause likes this