• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest RedWingsDad

Which players will get bought out?

Rate this topic

Fact is, if you will only be able to buy out 2 players, then some of these teams are going to have to buyout big contracts to get under the cap. you cannot buy out 6 players making less than $1M, so the are going to have to be some big names either dealt to the Phoenix's of the NHL for some draft picks, waived, or bought out.

The real question will be, is there going to be protection in the clause to prevent back room deals from being made, essentially circumventing the cap?

For example (not suggesting this, just using it as an example)

Detroit buys out Datsyuk, giving him full money of contact, then re-signs him to 6 year deal at 1m a year as a "home-town discount"

If that is possible, THEN I could see a LOT of big market teams, "buying out" big ticket players to "get under the cap"

The real question will be, is there going to be protection in the clause to prevent back room deals from being made, essentially circumventing the cap?

For example (not suggesting this, just using it as an example)

Detroit buys out Datsyuk, giving him full money of contact, then re-signs him to 6 year deal at 1m a year as a "home-town discount"

If that is possible, THEN I could see a LOT of big market teams, "buying out" big ticket players to "get under the cap"

I would highly doubt that. I would think the buyouts would work similar to last time. Players that get bought out won't be able to turn around and re-sign with the same team.

Edit: FAQs on the 2005 buyout process from NHL.com

How long does a Club have to exercise a compliance buyout?

There will be a six-day period commencing on July 23, 2005 and ending at 5:00 p.m. ET on July 29, 2005 during which Clubs may terminate and buy out player contracts.

Can such a player, who is bought out pursuant to this procedure, be re-signed by the Club that bought him out?

A player that has been bought out during the compliance buy-out period cannot rejoin his old Club during the 2005-06 season.

Edited by ogreslayer

I would imagine we would see big contract players traded as part of a package deal, with the idea that the absorbing club of the contract would buy them out.

For example (once again, not suggesting this, just using it as an example)

Detroit trades Kindl to Buffalo for Leino and a 1st rd pick OR highly rated prospect OR decent roster player, then Detroit buys out Leino, so the higher draft pick would be kind of be the pay out for Detroit eating the money of Leino, as opposed to Kindl for, say a 3rd rd pick, straight up....

Edited by stevkrause

Forgive me for being so far out of the loop, but is this whole buyout process going to be a part of the CBA? Or is this merely speculation at this point?

Can't say it's 100% certain until it's signed, but it is under negotiation as part of the next CBA. Latest word was that the NHL had thrown in an extra buyout per team (up to 2) that could be done prior to the proposed cap drop to $60m for 2013-2014.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ogreslayer" data-cid="2337652" data-time="1357345311"><p>

Can't say it's 100% certain until it's signed, but it is under negotiation as part of the next CBA. Latest word was that the NHL had thrown in an extra buyout per team (up to 2) that could be done prior to the proposed cap drop to $60m for 2013-2014.</p></blockquote>

What happens if a team cant reach the number?

I trade Emmy and Mursak to Carolina for Welsh, then I buy out Franzine and Kindl and have some cap room to see who becomes available on the cheap.... (Hossa, Iginla, The ******* All Star, Ryan Malone)

In no way do I want the Red Wings to have anything to do with Lieno EVER!

Edited by LeftWinger

Looks like we will have hockey, eh?

I wish I could say I was excited enough to dance, but I am still very upset at the whole ordeal! At least the Winter Classic plans will be the same for next year!

So, with the new salary cap set for next season, does this mean that all teams can remain the same for this short season? I still hope Holland strikes a deal for a REAL sniper and a TOP teir #1 Defenseman...

Well they have the framework done, so we will be having hockey. We don't have much to worry about in buyouts since our cap hit is $61,442,045. The cap for next season is $64.3 million. The only reason we would have to buy out a player is if someone becomes available that we want that would cost us more than $3 million a season. So everyones hopes of franzen being gone are almost completely null and void now. Not to mention he clearly is worth every penny for a 30 goal scorer, even if he does slack off half the season.

Franzen is getting bought out. That one is a given, unless he lights it up in this mini-season and playoffs. The contract length is just too long, and its a relic the Wings don't want or need under a new CBA. They have 2 available buyouts that they have to use this coming summer, and they will use one on Franzen, unless he turns it on in an amazing way.

Guest irishock
Franzen is getting bought out. That one is a given, unless he lights it up in this mini-season and playoffs. The contract length is just too long, and its a relic the Wings don't want or need under a new CBA. They have 2 available buyouts that they have to use this coming summer, and they will use one on Franzen, unless he turns it on in an amazing way.

Agree. Unless he's the leading goal scorer for the year, the Wings get rid of him.

Yeah, why would the Red Wings buyout Sammy?

If they didn't want him, they could have just not signed him six months ago.

Maybe because of:

1. Six months ago Salary Cap was over $70M

2. Now, there will be couple of better options for Def (which Holland needs to improve)

3. With lower salary cap it would be STUPID to keep Sammy when you have Brunner which will have to play with Z on the second line.

Everything has CHANGED since this summer

Edited by Dominator2005

I'd still be a little surprised if they bought out Mule though I think this season will be an important one for him. The Wings will need him in a big way to get into the playoffs and to go very far. It'll clarify if his past playoff success was an aberration or him living up to his potential.

The shortened season should suit his short attention span though.

Well they have the framework done, so we will be having hockey. We don't have much to worry about in buyouts since our cap hit is $61,442,045. The cap for next season is $64.3 million. The only reason we would have to buy out a player is if someone becomes available that we want that would cost us more than $3 million a season. So everyones hopes of franzen being gone are almost completely null and void now. Not to mention he clearly is worth every penny for a 30 goal scorer, even if he does slack off half the season.

just because the wings are set salary cap wise does not mean that they won't buy anyone out. like i mentioned earlier, if you are given the chance to get out of a long term contract for an under performing player (aka franzen) with no consequences salary cap wise, you do take advantage of it. it's not like these amnesty buyouts come around every year. this is going to be a huge season for franzen.

Edited by chances14

just because the wings are set salary cap wise does not mean that they won't buy anyone out. like i mentioned earlier, if you are given the chance to get out of a long term contract for an under performing player (aka franzen) with no consequences salary cap wise, you do take advantage of it. it's not like these amnesty buyouts come around every year. this is going to be a huge season for franzen.

This

I would like to add that Kenny will still be looking for the top 2 DEF... and you can't add it with $3m cap space