• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'm not sure some of you guys are aware that those long term deals that were signed by younger players don't actually mean the team has to pay those guys until their mid forties.  Once they retired those contracts are off the books.  And since most guys don't play that long, their contracts aren't likely to be a big issue.  Erhoff, Carter, Franzen, come to mind.  All good contracts for their production, and none of them are likely to play until the end of the contract itself.

Edited by kipwinger, 03 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Some of these suggestions are clear indications that a LOT of posters here live in make believe world... No team eats a MASSIVE amount of money, JUST to get under the cap, wastes their buyout on a guy who has an expiring contact before the cap goes down, or a guy that has a modest contract... the only obvious ones are Gomez, Thomas or DiPietro (if he were on a normal team, but it's the NYI, so they'll probably give him a bonus)

Honorable mention to Leino, Redden, Jagr...

So - outta curiosity - which suggestions are in the "make believe world"?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2337527" data-time="1357262563"><p>
Some of these suggestions are clear indications that a LOT of posters here live in make believe world... No team eats a MASSIVE amount of money, JUST to get under the cap, wastes their buyout on a guy who has an expiring contact before the cap goes down, or a guy that has a modest contract... the only obvious ones are Gomez, Thomas or DiPietro (if he were on a normal team, but it's the NYI, so they'll probably give him a bonus)<br />
<br />
Honorable mention to Leino, Redden, Jagr...</p></blockquote>

How does a team with 68M on the books get down to 60M without buying out one massive contract or two modest ones. Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Edited by rick zombo, 03 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#24 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

i believe buy outs can only happen to active players....Savard /Pronger/ Eaves are on long term, therefore disconnected from the cap and on insurance protection.

once the are cleared a good bill of health, they would then be put on waivers, or roster space be made for said player.

i dont believe they can be released, per union rules of disability.

its like being fired while injured.  i dont even think that Uwe Krupp got fired for "bad back=dogsled injury". ( lawyered up)

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#25 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

i believe buy outs can only happen to active players....Savard /Pronger/ Eaves are on long term, therefore disconnected from the cap and on insurance protection.

once the are cleared a good bill of health, they would then be put on waivers, or roster space be made for said player.

i dont believe they can be released, per union rules of disability.

its like being fired while injured.  i dont even think that Uwe Krupp got fired for "bad back=dogsled injury". ( lawyered up)

If this is true that sucks for Philly and Boston. Savard and Pronger seemed like two of the most obvious buyouts

#26 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2337533" data-time="1357266210"><p>
So - outta curiosity - which suggestions are in the "make believe world"?</p></blockquote>
Franzen - relatively small hit for 30+ goal scorer, PLUS the fact it's a massive amount of money out of pocket, real money, not just cap hit, to make said 30+ goal scorer go away
Hossa - see Franzen reasons
Penner - contract expires before cap goes down AND he would likely take less to stay in LA, coming of a very solid playoff
Luongo, Bryzgalov, Carter and Ehrhoff would all be a TON of money to just eat, REAL money, and all would likely be traded before bought out... Also, Break up Carter and Richards and they don't perform (they may die of coke od together, but that's a separate topic), and as for Bryz, they traded a bit to get his rights, then gave him a big deal, I'm sure they're not willing to eat that, at least not while they have the same GM...

Edited by stevkrause, 03 January 2013 - 10:17 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#27 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="rick zombo" data-cid="2337536" data-time="1357266650"><p>
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2337527" data-time="1357262563"><p><br />
Some of these suggestions are clear indications that a LOT of posters here live in make believe world... No team eats a MASSIVE amount of money, JUST to get under the cap, wastes their buyout on a guy who has an expiring contact before the cap goes down, or a guy that has a modest contract... the only obvious ones are Gomez, Thomas or DiPietro (if he were on a normal team, but it's the NYI, so they'll probably give him a bonus)<br /><br />
<br /><br />
Honorable mention to Leino, Redden, Jagr...</p></blockquote><br />
<br />
How does a team with 68M on the books get down to 60M without buying out one massive contract or two modest ones. Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.</p></blockquote>
I should have been clearer when I said massive contact... I meant total dollars owed, not just per year, a guy with a shorter deal of big money is a perfect option, not a guy with 6+ years left, as that's real money paid to make a guy go away...

As for modest deals, I'm referring to the 2m or less guys... You buy a guy like that out just because you don't want him anymore, not for cap relief... So the Eaves, Emmerton, etc suggestions are ridiculous, and that's aside from the LTIR restrictions...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2337533" data-time="1357266210"><p>
So - outta curiosity - which suggestions are in the "make believe world"?</p></blockquote>
Franzen - relatively small hit for 30+ goal scorer, PLUS the fact it's a massive amount of money out of pocket, real money, not just cap hit, to make said 30+ goal scorer go away
Hossa - see Franzen reasons
Penner - contract expires before cap goes down AND he would likely take less to stay in LA, coming of a very solid playoff
Luongo, Bryzgalov, Carter and Ehrhoff would all be a TON of money to just eat, REAL money, and all would likely be traded before bought out... Also, Break up Carter and Richards and they don't perform (they may die of coke od together, but that's a separate topic), and as for Bryz, they traded a bit to get his rights, then gave him a big deal, I'm sure they're not willing to eat that, at least not while they have the same GM...

You have some very valid points, and for the most part I agree with what you're saying...However - how's a team gonna shed salary for this season (fingers crossed), or next?

If the cap does indeed drop to around $60 million for 2013/2014 - me thinks there'll be some big salaries cut loose.

As for the Red Wings - I'm certain it won't be Franzen although one, or possibly two of these guys could be released: Bertuzzi, Eaves, Miller, Tootoo (that would make me a sad panda) or Sammuelsson.

#29 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LeftWinger" data-cid="2337453" data-time="1357235280"><p>

This could be the year that Iginla leaves Calgary...or maybe just J. Bo. I can see them buying out Hudler too (just as long as he does NOT return to Detroit!)<br />
 <br />
 <br />
Chicago will dump Hossa which will pave his way back to Detroit!<br />
 </p></blockquote>

I would absolutely love for hossa to come back here!! ....but that's not going to happen. Also, I was thinking the flames might buy out jbo too with that ridiculous contract. I could see us trying to pick him up at least for a year if they do. I don't think they'd buy out a player they just signed tho lol (huds) but if we could find a way to get jbo just for the money it takes to sign him, I say do it.

Also, why are the quotes always messed up when I reply from my phone?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#30 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.  Both bad signings IMO, dollar- and term-wise..  Holland needed to leave room for some of his prospects to move up.

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Fact is, if you will only be able to buy out 2 players, then some of these teams are going to have to buyout big contracts to get under the cap. you cannot buy out 6 players making less than $1M, so the are going to have to be some big names either dealt to the Phoenix's of the NHL for some draft picks, waived, or bought out.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Fact is, if you will only be able to buy out 2 players, then some of these teams are going to have to buyout big contracts to get under the cap. you cannot buy out 6 players making less than $1M, so the are going to have to be some big names either dealt to the Phoenix's of the NHL for some draft picks, waived, or bought out.

Exactly.

It'll be interesting as to who becomes available via UFA after they're bought out.

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

The real question will be, is there going to be protection in the clause to prevent back room deals from being made, essentially circumventing the cap?

For example (not suggesting this, just using it as an example)
Detroit buys out Datsyuk, giving him full money of contact, then re-signs him to 6 year deal at 1m a year as a "home-town discount"

If that is possible, THEN I could see a LOT of big market teams, "buying out" big ticket players to "get under the cap"

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#34 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

The real question will be, is there going to be protection in the clause to prevent back room deals from being made, essentially circumventing the cap?

For example (not suggesting this, just using it as an example)
Detroit buys out Datsyuk, giving him full money of contact, then re-signs him to 6 year deal at 1m a year as a "home-town discount"

If that is possible, THEN I could see a LOT of big market teams, "buying out" big ticket players to "get under the cap"

I would highly doubt that.  I would think the buyouts would work similar to last time.  Players that get bought out won't be able to turn around and re-sign with the same team.

Edit:  FAQs on the 2005 buyout process from NHL.com

How long does a Club have to exercise a compliance buyout?

There will be a six-day period commencing on July 23, 2005 and ending at 5:00 p.m. ET on July 29, 2005 during which Clubs may terminate and buy out player contracts.

Can such a player, who is bought out pursuant to this procedure, be re-signed by the Club that bought him out?

A player that has been bought out during the compliance buy-out period cannot rejoin his old Club during the 2005-06 season.

Edited by ogreslayer, 04 January 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#35 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

You may see some guys traded for picks/ prospects just to make room for the cap.

I always think it is interesting to see how this kind of stuff works out.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#36 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Question is, will Holland be man enough to cowboy up and admit his mistake by buying out Franzine and picking up Hossa? If he has ANY integrity, he will!

I won't be holding my breath for Hossa returning to Detroit. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#37 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I would imagine we would see big contract players traded as part of a package deal, with the idea that the absorbing club of the contract would buy them out.

For example (once again, not suggesting this, just using it as an example)
Detroit trades Kindl to Buffalo for Leino and a 1st rd pick OR highly rated prospect OR decent roster player, then Detroit buys out Leino, so the higher draft pick would be kind of be the pay out for Detroit eating the money of Leino, as opposed to Kindl for, say a 3rd rd pick, straight up....

Edited by stevkrause, 05 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Forgive me for being so far out of the loop, but is this whole buyout process going to be a part of the CBA? Or is this merely speculation at this point?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Everything is speculation until the puck drops.

#40 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Forgive me for being so far out of the loop, but is this whole buyout process going to be a part of the CBA? Or is this merely speculation at this point?

Can't say it's 100% certain until it's signed, but it is under negotiation as part of the next CBA.  Latest word was that the NHL had thrown in an extra buyout per team (up to 2) that could be done prior to the proposed cap drop to $60m for 2013-2014.