• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I doubt Luongo gets bought out, he's likely to be traded to Toronto or maybe Florida. I think this bail out-er-buyout clause is to help teams get rid of guys like Gomez, Redden, Dipietro, etc. Players no one would trade for that their current team also wouldn't want to keep. At least realistically. It could also be to keep players from signing and getting lazy (or at least trying enough to be the third worst contract on the team).

As for us, I think if Franzen doesn't smarten up he could find himself bought out. Other than that, I don't see many bad contracts. Holland's played his cards pretty well. We'd have to really reach to start calling guys like E, Quincey or Sammy bad deals. Almost every team has those type of contracts.

#82 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

My choice would be Quincey (if we can pick up a decent d-man and a #1-3 dman) and Abdelkader. I like that Mursak and Kindl will be done after this year assuming they do not re-sign him, and I like Colaicovo. He is a solid d-man in his own end works hard and does his job, if (and thats a big IF) he can stay healthy for the majority of the season he could definately be a #3-4 dman for us.

Somehow, this would finally close the circle of madness with Kenny and Quincey. First they drafted him, let him languish in GR, and waived him where he went on to embarrass Holland by coming into his own in Colorado. Next, Holland trades a 1st rounder for him, and then can't resign him, and Quincey files for arbitration. The icing on the cake would be to just buy him out. Yes, it makes complete sense in this context lol. 

IPB Image

#83 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Somehow, this would finally close the circle of madness with Kenny and Quincey. First they drafted him, let him languish in GR, and waived him where he went on to embarrass Holland by coming into his own in Colorado. Next, Holland trades a 1st rounder for him, and then can't resign him, and Quincey files for arbitration. The icing on the cake would be to just buy him out. Yes, it makes complete sense in this context lol. 

Well, when you put it like that...

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#84 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Buy out Ian White's mouth.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#85 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Cap geek tweeted that wade reddens cap hit would count against the rangers cap even if he is in the minors. I'm sure he was going to get bought out any way but his seals the deal now.

#86 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ogreslayer" data-cid="2338307" data-time="1357598037"><p>
On the topic of buy-outs but from other teams, wonder if this will force the Islander's hands:<br />
 <br />
<p class='bbc_indent' style='margin-left: 40px;'>45]<br />
<br />
 <br />
<a href='https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday'><span style='color: #000080'><strong class='bbc'>Arthur Staple</strong>‏<del class='bbc'>@</del><strong class='bbc'>StapeNewsday</strong></span></a><br />
 </p>
<a href='https://twitter.com/...#Isles&src=hash'><del class='bbc'>#</del><strong class='bbc'>Isles</strong></a> news: L. Visnovsky has decided to stay in Slovakia for the rest of the season, via his agent. Statement to come.<br />
 <br />
<a href='https://twitter.com/...408359785345024'>https://twitter.com/...408359785345024</a></p></blockquote>

Lube job

#87 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Trust me I know how ridculous it is, but I never liked trading our 1st round pick for him to begin with. I never really thought he fit our team, and he proved that last year as well. We will see how he does now starting in our training camp, but like I said I thought it was a bad a desperate move by Holland to pick up Quincey last year, and he should just bite the bullet and buy him out if he does not produce. He takes too many penalties, he gives up pucks far too easy, and he doesn't have very much offensive prowess. Close the loop

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#88 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Trust me I know how ridculous it is, but I never liked trading our 1st round pick for him to begin with. I never really thought he fit our team, and he proved that last year as well. We will see how he does now starting in our training camp, but like I said I thought it was a bad a desperate move by Holland to pick up Quincey last year, and he should just bite the bullet and buy him out if he does not produce. He takes too many penalties, he gives up pucks far too easy, and he doesn't have very much offensive prowess. Close the loop

I never really liked Quincy either, but it's not necessarily because of his play... there's just something about his face... it bothers me. That aside, I am interested to see what he can do for a full-ish season with the Wings, perhaps he can find a rhythm. If he flops this season I can see Holland looking at buying him out.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#89 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RedWingsDad" data-cid="2338761" data-time="1357735979"><p>
 <br />
I never really liked Quincy either, but it's not necessarily because of his play... there's just something about his face... it bothers me. That aside, I am interested to see what he can do for a full-ish season with the Wings, perhaps he can find a rhythm. If he flops this season I can see Holland looking at buying him out.</p></blockquote>

Quincey will be fine

#90 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RedWingsDad" data-cid="2338761" data-time="1357735979"><p>
 <br />
I never really liked Quincy either, but it's not necessarily because of his play... there's just something about his face... it bothers me. That aside, I am interested to see what he can do for a full-ish season with the Wings, perhaps he can find a rhythm. If he flops this season I can see Holland looking at buying him out.</p></blockquote>

Quincey will be fine

ya, we can use a water boy

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#91 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Quincey was not good for us, don't get me wrong. But if the worst we get is a physical defenseman that in a bad year put up numbers close to or better than Visnovsky, Eric Johnson, Corvo, Fowler, Bouwmeester, Zidlicky, and Hedman who are all top 4 defenseman at the very least then I don't see him getting bought out. It's ludicrous that someone believes Quincey doesn't have any offensive prowess.

#92 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I don't think Franzen will be bought out unless he significantly under-performs. Samuelsson and Bertuzzi are guys that are most likely to be bought out, in my opinion. We need Colaiacovo for depth on defense, so I don't really see him being bought out.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#93 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hopefully The Wiz so we can sign him for something a little bit more Ken Holland's speed and toughen up that d core.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#94 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2339252" data-time="1357922911"><p>
Hopefully The Wiz so we can sign him for something a little bit more Ken Holland's speed and toughen up that d core.</p></blockquote>

I would like to see some younger guys.

#95 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

He's only 28 and would look real good in our top four.  He and Ericsson or Quincey would be a good pair. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#96 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Ok. Franzen haters, I hate to burst your bubble but the Mule will NOT be bought out.  When I guy is bought out, you still have to pay him like 2/3's of his salary.  It would make no sense to buy out somebody that you could trade.    No way in hell they buy out OR trade the mule.

Do or do not. There is no try

#97 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Ok. Franzen haters, I hate to burst your bubble but the Mule will NOT be bought out.  When I guy is bought out, you still have to pay him like 2/3's of his salary.  It would make no sense to buy out somebody that you could trade.    No way in hell they buy out OR trade the mule.

No, it doesn't seem nearly that unlikely. I think he's a good candidate and it would help us but we won't buy him out because we don't do that to our players unless they really ask for it. It's not our style to pull a stunt like that and maintaining a good relationship is what's made us an appealing team to join. But really, his 3.9 mil could help us and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we attempted to rid ourselves of him if he plays as lazy as he has the last couple years, and we know we need that money for something else.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 11 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#98 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

We'd better hope a really great defenseman gets bought out.  Is Pronger healthy enough to go?  Seems like a sure-fire candidate.

I thought this discussion deserves it's own topic. Which players will get bought out if  buying out a players contract is a provision in the next CBA?

I'll start with what I think is an obvious one:

Luongo (Vancouver)

_

Well documented that Luongo is willing to leave Vancouver and that they are also willing to part with him.

#99 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

In the theme of Dipietro's awful contract, the Isles are going with Nabokov as the starter for the home opener.  Even though it's one of those brief periods where Dipietro isn't injured. 

Only 9 more years on the deal!

http://espn.go.com/n...-york-islanders

#100 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Who else are we going to trade for a descent defenseman? Really? It sucks to lose offense when your offense isn't the best to begin with, but we can stand to lose guys up front when we have a defense as weak as ours is now. Who's expendable and has value outside of Franzen and Flip, who has far less value now as he's on the last year of a contract? I think it's foolish to think he'll be bought out too, but I think it's very unlikely at this point that he isn't a prime trade candidate.

-Elliot...does not panic.