• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest irishock

NHL, NHLPA reach tentative agreement on new CBA

Rate this topic

Highlights of the deal so far:

- The players' share of hockey-related revenue will drop from 57 percent to a 50-50 split for all 10 years.

- The league coming off their demand for a $60 million cap in Year 2, meeting the NHLPA's request to have it at $64.3 million - which was the upper limit from last year's cap. The salary floor in Year 2 will be $44 million.

- The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million.

- The 10-year deal also has an opt-out clause that kicks in after eight years.

- Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players' overall share in revenues, but not the team's salary cap.

- The salary variance on contracts from year to year cannot vary more than 35 per cent and the final year cannot vary more than 50 per cent of the highest year.

- A player contract term limit for free agents will be seven years and eight years for a team signing its own player.

- The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.

- Supplemental discipline for players in on-ice incidents will go through NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan first, followed by an appeal process that would go through Bettman. For suspensions of six or more games, a neutral third party will decide if necessary.

- Revenue sharing among teams will spread to $200 million. Additionally, an NHLPA-initiated growth fund of $60 million is included.

- Teams can only walk away from a player in salary arbitration if the award is at least $3.5 million.

- The NHL had hoped to change opening of free agency to July 10, but the players stood firm and it remains July 1 in the new agreement. But with a later ending to the season, free agency for this summer will start at a later date.

Granted, I don't live in Detroit and would gladly forgive the Wings whom I do not blame for the lockout (I blame the proper 8-9 owners Bettman fights so hard for and Mr I ain't one of them). Vanderbeek in NJ however where I see games is another matter. No games for me this year, not supporting the Devils with a ticket another day. I may go to the Rangers but I have issues with games there too (too cramped, too dark, and people wander around far too much during the game). So no NHL for me this year, no more Devils ever. I'll watch Wings games on TV but that is going to be my great "contribution" to this upcoming abortion of a season.

Thanks NHL!

At least NHL should offer Center Ice for FREE for "whole" season.

Minus NHL Network and NBC Sports of course. And they'll still charge full price for Gamecenter Live.

I don't even have cable anymore anyway.

Meh.

No Winter Classic is indeed a bummer. Remember what happened last time there was a half season folks? :P

A substandard team won the Cup?

Can't wait to see Pittsburgh in the Finals again. Yay.

(Can you tell I'm still apathetic and annoyed?)

Totally off-topic, but I love your signature, Kevin. Even if the league did offer people free Center Ice, I don't have cable in my room (don't even have a TV, more to the point), and the only TV in the house that does have a digital cable hook-up is for family use, so I can't commandeer it to watch hockey.

That said, if I DID have cable TV.....they'd have to offer it to me for free because there's no way in hell I'm giving the NHL a dime of my money.

A substandard team won the Cup?

Can't wait to see Pittsburgh in the Finals again. Yay.

(Can you tell I'm still apathetic and annoyed?)

Well maybe. I thought the Wings were the better team but we got owned left and right against the Devils in that series.

And I mean OWNED. I think Scott Stevens had all our forwards constantly looking to see if he was on the ice.

Remember Kozlov's undoing? :P

Highlights of the deal so far:

Can someone explain this a little....

"The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated)."

If the cap's 60 and they can spend up to 70.2.. what's the 10.2 mill for? buying out players? or can they go over the cap that much for the whole year? or...?

I'm slightly more excited than I thought I'd be, but I'm having a hard time caring. I still feel wronged as a fan from this whole experience, and am bitter about the Winter Classic. I'm sure I'll end up tuning in and rooting for the Wings in time, though.

I certainly hope the call-ups don't derail all the good the Griffins have done this year.

I was very angry at first when the lockout started, then it turned to not caring.

Now I'm excited to see hockey. I still hate the fact a lockout had to occur (again), but I'm not going to hold it against the Red Wings organization, nor the players -- the reason we all watch the sport. However, the leadership on both sides of this ordeal needs to be examined (by examined, I mean removed) as they failed miserably.

Can't wait to be back at the Joe! Let's all talk about how Sammy shouldn't be on the point now. :nono:

We are going to need a lineup refresher thread pretty quick...my 33 year old memory can't remember who plays where anymore.. I was just looking at our D and it's weird not to see # 5 back there but I have this good feeling that the group of guys we have back there could be pretty servicable.

Can someone explain this a little....

"The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated)."

If the cap's 60 and they can spend up to 70.2.. what's the 10.2 mill for? buying out players? or can they go over the cap that much for the whole year? or...?

I was thinking the same thing after reading all of the deals made to the media. Anybody know more about this upper limit stuff?

I'm slightly more excited than I thought I'd be, but I'm having a hard time caring. I still feel wronged as a fan from this whole experience, and am bitter about the Winter Classic. I'm sure I'll end up tuning in and rooting for the Wings in time, though.

I certainly hope the call-ups don't derail all the good the Griffins have done this year.

This :(