• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

2013 BlueAdams Where Are You, Line Thread

Rate this topic

Guest irishock
Does this mean Nyquist won't even be on the team?

Don't like that...

That's what's being reported.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner

Samuelsson-Flippula-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary

Tootoo-Abdelkader-Miller

Kronwall-Quincey

Ericsson-White

Smith-Colaiacovo

I llike the top 2 lines but there has to be some tweaking with the bottom 2, there is no way that Bert and Cleary can keep up with Helm. I think one of them with Helm is fine but not both.

Apparently Babs asked Saint Nick for one more run.

http://kuklaskorner.com/a2y/comments/uncle-mike-asked-tph-to-honcho-hike-to-12

Apologies if this has been mentioned before and/or it's not true.

Me too but it appears as if that's somewhat the case.

Well, I suppose Sammy will provide size, experience or hockey "savvy," and a right handed shot.

After all the talk about the importance of drafting and building from within and bringing players up from the farm, and the days of stocking your top lines and pairings with quality FA pickups being over, and...(etc. ad nauseam) :sleepy:

Edited by Dabura

I'm gonna be pretty sour if Mikael Samuelsson bumps Nyquist out of Detroit.

He's not bumping him "out of Detroit".

Let's face it. This season is an ugly wart on the NHL's ass.

Leave Nyquist in GR and let him tear it up with Tatar, Sheahan, Andersson, and yes, Ferraro. If you look at the larger picture of player development, it's good for these guys to be winning in the AHL, and they are. Much like the 2005/06 when Hudler and Filpulla were there.

I can eat this "season". But Nyquist better be here full time next year.

After all the talk about the importance of drafting and building from within and bringing players up from the farm, and the days of stocking your top lines and pairings with quality FA pickups being over, and...(etc. ad nauseam) :sleepy:

It's not like we're losing Nyquist. He's just not in the plans for this joke of a season.

Does this mean Nyquist won't even be on the team?

Don't like that...

The wings want him to get significant NHL play time... I'm guessing they're waiting to see how the guys who didn't play during the lockout look.

Nyquist and Tatar will certainly play in Detroit this season, I have no doubt there will be injuries and such and that once they're up in Detroit they can make a real case to stay.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. I'm annoyed with the situation too.

If Babcock keeps Nyquist on the team I would do this :

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen

Bertuzzi - Helm - Samuelsson

Cleary - Abdelkader - Tootoo

Miller,Mursak

Eaves (LTIR)

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - White

Quincey - Kindl

Colaiacovo (injured)

Howard

Gustavsson

If Nyquist is kept in Grand Rapids :

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner

Franzen - Datsyuk - Samuelsson

Bertuzzi - Helm - Mursak

Cleary - Abdelkader - Tootoo

There's a tendency to want to downplay how good some veterans are, mostly because as fans we like things that are new and exciting. But guys like Sammy, Cleary, Bert, etc. have been playing (and thriving) in this league a long time, and will be HUGE contributors over the course of this season. If watching Red Wings hockey over all these years has taught me anything it's that smart, hard working veterans are almost always a better option than rookies when you need to give responsibility to someone. Let Nyquist work his way into the NHL game by filling in during injuries and starting out on the third line. It will serve him, and the team, better in the long run.

Edited by kipwinger

There's a tendency to want to downplay how good some veterans are, mostly because as fans we like things that are new and exciting. But guys like Sammy, Cleary, Bert, etc. have been playing (and thriving) in this league a long time, and will be HUGE contributors over the course of this season. If watching Red Wings hockey over all these years has taught me anything it's that smart, hard working veterans are almost always a better option than rookies when you need to give responsibility to someone. Let Nyquist work his way into the NHL game by filling in during injuries and starting out on the third line. It will serve him, and the team, better in the long run.

Nicely put.

I guess, other than fan-boy longing for something new and exciting, the only real arguement for Nyquist and Tatar making the team is that they are in game shape right now, and might provide some wheels coming right out of the gate. Guys like Bert, Sammy, and Cleary will need a few games to hit stride. And every game will be a dog fight, every win crucial.

On a side note, Sheahan's on a massive tear in GR.

We wanted Nyquist up right away and I think we're just a little miffed that we don't get to play with our new toy right away. The season is short but it's not 25 games, it's about 50 or so, that's still a lot. I know personally after the first 32 games of a regular season, I'm never sitting there thinking "man the playoffs are almost here". And these are just the starting rosters. If Nyquist doesn't make it up I'd be surprised. It's better to keep Gus ripping up the AHL for now while Sammy, a vet who knows how to keep up in this league, plays. We could use his defensive responsibility and right handed shot. It's just smarter. Less fun, but smarter. And in time, Nyquist will be up.

I agree with both of you, and I'd add that in all honesty, we're still not sure exactly what we'll be getting with Nyquist. As a fan of the Wings and a guy who watches every game, there's no denying the skill level and potential that Nyquist has, but he's still a little way off from being a regular contributor on this team. There's so much more to hockey than skill level. Playing smart, and playing responsibly, are often overlooked parts of success at this level. I was as dazzled as everyone else by Nyquist's puckhandling and skating, but when I view the guy objectively I have to admit that most of the 7 pts. the guy put up last year were the result of excellent linemates, not because he was making plays happen on his own. He scored less frequently (with Datsyuk and Franzen as help) than Smith did, and Smith was on the bottom pair. If you project Nyquist's totals for a whole season (temporarily ignoring the fact that he probably won't play 82 games and is likely to go through lengthy scoring droughts) he still would only have put up around 25-30 pts. Cleary did that on one leg last season, and didn't have Datyuk or Franzen to pad his stats either. Veterans know the game and know how to create chances for their linemates. Unless your rookie is RNH or Logan Couture or some freak like that, it's better to ease him in.

Personally what I saw was a guy ready to develop at the NHL level. I will say that the very first time he came up, before his last (and longer) stint, he looked so patient, so skilled and so mature. When he came up most recently, he looked a tiny bit more lost. Same player, and my opinion didn't drastically change, but he looked slightly more like a rookie. It happens a lot and happened to varying degrees with Jimmy and E and other players I've seen over time. I think when you come up initially you play like you have nothing to lose, but when your up again later, longer, you try to do too much to earn your spot. Nyquist looked like he was holding the puck a beat too long, trying to dangle around guys and was just playing the game too much in his own head. He also got taken off the puck very easily. But that's nothing that will worry me, I think in time he'll be just fine.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I am a little concerned loading up the top line with the two best forwards on the team. I understand the idea of playing Pavel and Z together, especially in a short season where you can have them shoulder even more of the load. However, it leaves your second line with uncertainty. What will Franzen's effort level be like? Can Filppula carry a line and still produce offensively at center? I could see that line not clicking at all and then we are quickly back to splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

The bottom-six is very strong. I would prefer to see Miller - Helm - Cleary and then Bertuzzi - Abdelkader - Tootoo instead because I like Helm and Miller's chemistry and think that fourth line combination would be very effective. This team has a glut at forward and you have to wonder when that leads to a trade for some help on defense.

Brunner might be the wild card in all of this. Playing with Pavel and Z is a great opportunity and if he produces, it will be a huge boost to a relatively weak top-six in terms of pure goal scorers.

well the wings will open the season with

Hank - Dats - Brunner

Sam - Fil - Fanz

- babcock through mlive

my guess is line two wont be productive enough so hank will switch with sam or some thing

I actually drooled a bit thinking about the possibilities of that first line

Just checked out the mlive article myself http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_coach_mike_babcock_h_1.html

hank-dats-brunner

sammy-fil-franzen

cleary-helm-bert

miller-abs-tootoo

kronwall-ericsson

smith-quincey

kindl-white (colo replaces kindl when healthy)

not sure if I agree with White on third line, if it was me I would switch white and quincey. Babs knows best though

Guest blueadams

Hahahahaha,

I took the lockout off brothers and sisters (believe it or not, I've been real busy - trying to get into grad-school). I'm back now though. Appreciate all the love! Lines threads coming soon..

What are everyone's lines. Hopefully this will attract BlueAdams.

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filppula - Z - Brunner
Clearly - Abdelkader - Sammy
Tootoo - Helm - Bertuzzi
Scratches: Miller, Eaves Mursak

Kronwall - White
Quincey - Ericsson
Smith - Colo/Kindl

Howard
Gus

Guest blueadams

Filppula-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Brunner
Bertuzzi-Helm-Samuelsson
Cleary-Abdelkader-Tootoo
Miller
Emmerton

Kronwall-*Trade???*
Ericsson-White
Quincey-Smith
Covalaccio

Howard
Gustavsson

...need to trade for a big-time defenseman at the deadline or it won't even be interesting this post-season, IMO