• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#221 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Well if the vets aren't as good as the prospects, as some here are arguing, then the you'd lose more games and possibly not make the playoffs.  Again, if they were better they'd be playing.  There was room for them, there was opportunity in the top six, but they aren't even being given a chance, why?  Because they're not ready. 

I feel that's a stretch and dealing in a realm of unknowns when you say seeminly without doubt that they aren't ready. What we do know is Red Wings like to keep players in the minors longer than what's usually common in the NHL. I don't think that can be disputed much. Brendan Smith was ready to play last year, he played 14 games and had a .50 ppg. There is no doubt the team would have been better with him, but would he have improved as much playing 10-14 minutes a game, rather then 20 in the AHL? I personally don't know, but the Red Wings track record has leaned towards keeping players in the minors, even if they are "ready".

Sammuelsson is a good player, averages 40-50 points a year, has experience with the team, he's an insurance policy for us. Babcock can rely on playing him in a 3rd line role as he is a pretty good defensive player, he can play on the powerplay, he can play on the top line. Those are skills that a rookie player just aren't going to have usually, and that's why we signed him, he has versatility.

#222 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

What about Dmitri Kulikov?  Apparently he still hasn't reported to the Panthers training camp due to the fact that they haven't been able to sign him to a contract yet.  I wonder how open the Panthers would be to trading him to the Wings...

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#223 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340032" data-time="1358190019"><p>
 <br />
Well if the vets aren't as good as the prospects, as some here are arguing, then the you'd lose more games and possibly not make the playoffs.  Again, if they were better they'd be playing.  There was room for them, there was opportunity in the top six, but they aren't even being given a chance, why?  Because they're not ready. </p></blockquote>

Its amazing how you have to explain common logic. For 5 years I have thought Holmstrom should have been replaced by a younger guy with more speed and better hands. The reality is that for 5 years, that guy hasnt presented himself to us. So Homer kept his spot.

#224 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I feel that's a stretch and dealing in a realm of unknowns when you say seeminly without doubt that they aren't ready. What we do know is Red Wings like to keep players in the minors longer than what's usually common in the NHL. I don't think that can be disputed much. Brendan Smith was ready to play last year, he played 14 games and had a .50 ppg. There is no doubt the team would have been better with him, but would he have improved as much playing 10-14 minutes a game, rather then 20 in the AHL? I personally don't know, but the Red Wings track record has leaned towards keeping players in the minors, even if they are "ready".

Sammuelsson is a good player, averages 40-50 points a year, has experience with the team, he's an insurance policy for us. Babcock can rely on playing him in a 3rd line role as he is a pretty good defensive player, he can play on the powerplay, he can play on the top line. Those are skills that a rookie player just aren't going to have usually, and that's why we signed him, he has versatility.

I agree, Sammy has skills that rookies don't.  If they could play a better all around game than Sammy then they'd be in the lineup and he'd be signed with another team.  That's exactly my point, at this stage of their respective careers Sammy is a better player than Nyquist or Tatar.  As is Cleary, as is Franzen, as is Bertuzzi.  When Nyquist or Tatar crack the third line in a year or so, and develop a better all around game, then (and only then) will they be "better" than the vets and have a permanent spot on the top six.  Just EXACTLY like what Filppula was required to do, for example. 

As I said in another post, Filppula didn't earn his right to play in the top six until last season, yet for some reason people think Nyquist and Tatar are both ready to play there right now.  And this is Filppula, a guy who, even before last year's breakout success, was noticeably better than either Nyquist or Tatar are right now. 

Edited by kipwinger, 14 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#225 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I agree, Sammy has skills that rookies don't.  If they could play a better all around game than Sammy then they'd be in the lineup and he'd be signed with another team.  That's exactly my point, at this stage of their respective careers Sammy is a better player than Nyquist or Tatar.  As is Cleary, as is Franzen, as is Bertuzzi.  When Nyquist or Tatar crack the third line in a year or so, and develop a better all around game, then (and only then) will they be "better" than the vets and have a permanent spot on the top six.  Just EXACTLY like what Filppula was required to do, for example. 

As I said in another post, Filppula didn't earn his right to play in the top six until last season, yet for some reason people think Nyquist and Tatar are both ready to play there right now.  And this is Filppula, a guy who, even before last year's breakout success, was noticeably better than either Nyquist or Tatar are right now. 

Filppula wasn't as heralded as Nyquist coming into his first NHL season, though.  I do agree that Nyquist and Tatar will have to earn their top 6 mins, which will be aided by the compact schedule and lack of training camp-- they're the 1st and 2nd call-ups from GR when the Wings need to do so.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#226 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

We can all chill. Everyone will get some time this year. Lots of injuries.

#227 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Per Ansar KHAAAAANNN!!!, here are the lines the Wings are skating with at this morning's practice...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Filppula-Mursak

Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Working in - Knuble, Eaves

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincey-Smith

Kindl-White

Colaiacovo-Lashoff.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#228 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

im surprised they threw zett to centet and pasha to wing, normally pasha out preforms zett faceoff wise and zett is the bigger shooter. i shall not question though!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#229 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Jedi" data-cid="2340196" data-time="1358261110"><p>
Per Ansar <a href='https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive'>KHAAAAANNN!!!</a>, here are the lines the Wings are skating with at this morning's practice...<br />
 <br />
Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner<br />
Franzen-Filppula-Mursak<br />
Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi<br />
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo<br />
Working in - Knuble, Eaves<br />
 <br />
Kronwall-Ericsson<br />
Quincey-Smith<br />
Kindl-White<br />
Colaiacovo-Lashoff.</p></blockquote>

Can you imagine if we had landed Parise and Suter and convinced Lids to give it a go one more time? Scary.

#230 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Glad to see lashoff getting some work in there. :thumbup:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#231 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

to those about nyquist and what not being "ready"

“We have four guys in Grand Rapids, forwards, that are dying to be Red Wings, in (Gustav) Nyquist, (Tomas) Tatar, (Joakim)Andersson and (Riley) Sheahan. They think they’re ready to be on the team, so they’re ready to go if (others) are not ready to go.”

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#232 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="evilzyme" data-cid="2340219" data-time="1358266128"><p>
to those about nyquist and what not being "ready"<br />
<br />
We have four guys in Grand Rapids, forwards, that are dying to be Red Wings, in (Gustav) Nyquist, (Tomas) Tatar, (Joakim)Andersson and (Riley) Sheahan. They think theyre ready to be on the team, so theyre ready to go if (others) are not ready to go.</p></blockquote>

Ha ha ha. Well hell, just bring them up then. Roster limits be damned.

#233 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="evilzyme" data-cid="2340219" data-time="1358266128"><p>
to those about nyquist and what not being "ready"<br />
<br />
We have four guys in Grand Rapids, forwards, that are dying to be Red Wings, in (Gustav) Nyquist, (Tomas) Tatar, (Joakim)Andersson and (Riley) Sheahan. They think theyre ready to be on the team, so theyre ready to go if (others) are not ready to go.</p></blockquote>
Ha ha ha. Well hell, just bring them up then. Roster limits be damned.

lol im sure everyone will get some ice due to injuries. this is the moment he prospects gotta make the mostof

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#234 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="evilzyme" data-cid="2340274" data-time="1358276285"><p>
lol im sure everyone will get some ice due to injuries. this is the moment he prospects gotta make the mostof</p></blockquote>

Good call. :-)

#235 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,002 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Dear Helm, stop getting injured. :unhappy:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#236 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Dabura" data-cid="2340317" data-time="1358284704"><p>
Dear Helm, stop getting injured. :unhappy:</p></blockquote>

#237 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Filppula earned the right to play in the top 6 years ago, he just wasn't afforded the opportunity. This is something that argued about with people on Red Wings Central for years and he was finally afforded the opportunity to prove me right last year.

#238 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Johnz96" data-cid="2340329" data-time="1358286285"><p>
Filppula earned the right to play in the top 6 years ago, he just wasn't afforded the opportunity. This is something that argued about with people on Red Wings Central for years and he was finally afforded the opportunity to prove me right last year.</p></blockquote>

Flip has been 2nd line center quality for years. Problem is, our top 2 center positions have been filled by all stars for 20 years straight!

#239 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Johnz96" data-cid="2340329" data-time="1358286285"><p>
Filppula earned the right to play in the top 6 years ago, he just wasn't afforded the opportunity. This is something that argued about with people on Red Wings Central for years and he was finally afforded the opportunity to prove me right last year.</p></blockquote>

Flip has been 2nd line center quality for years. Problem is, our top 2 center positions have been filled by all stars for 20 years straight!

Well hopefully he makes a name for himself there this season because last year he was primarily on Zetterberg's wing. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#240 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Mini-Hossa/Better-Hulder (Brunner)
Young-Filppula (Nyquist) - Filppula - Franzen
Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary
Downey (Tootoo) - Abdelkader - Samuelsson

looks pretty dope to me