• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#41 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="evilzyme" data-cid="2338178" data-time="1357576835"><p>
I don't see why Nyquist couldn't be top 6? Babcock already had him in the top 6 last season and unfortunately had to move him to the third line. Nyquist is a player that needs to play with bigger players, unfortunately his size is what made him go to the third line last year. He simply couldn't handle going against other teams top lines and top d pairings. He added some strength and handled himself nicely from what i've seen this season with GRR. I think he'll be given the shot at top 6 originally, along with Brunner. Where the hell did everyone get Brunnstrom from? Didn't he elect to go play in Europe? Colo may or may not be ready for the season, as he got injured recently. That'll lead to Kindl playing. Emdog will not crack the lineup this year due to just too many better players infront of him in the depth chart, sorry Axe or Cory as we like to say. Realistically, I like number9's lines. Filp and Pasha NEED to spend time together, they have AMAZING chemistry and are a deadly threat as a duo. Brunner and Zett already established chemistry and should start the season together. Add nyquist and give him the early chance to prove he can handle going against other top 6 players. This would give that line two good playmakers in zett and nyquist, with a deadly shot in brunner (zetts aint bad either). Third line would have helmer bringing the speed, a healthy cleary to bring the veteran sense along with good work ethic (don't even say it, the guys been working on a tore up knee) and sammy to miss shots and throw off our opponents. I love the idea of the fourth line just buckling down and grinding it out against other teams 3/4th line. Tootoo, big bert, and abby... you would get annoyed playing against that line. Our defense makes me want to cringe, but in all honesty I think we'll do OKAY this season. I really think we'll see some improvements again with big rig. Ground breaking? No. But it'll certainly help. He'll need to use his body more, but I almost sense that more physicality will be apart of the wings system these upcoming years. We don't have #5, but we have to look at his play and say it isn't going to hurt as much as we really think it may. We didn't lose a prime Lidstrom, we lost one that was declining in play. Was his declining in play still better than the majority of defensemen that lace up? Absolutely, but he was Lidstrom. Quincey came into our system half way through a system while we were on a big winning streak. He has no excuses this year, as he will be attending training camp and up to speed with the systems in place. Brendan smith we HAVE to see mistakes, but they'll expand and make him develop more. He is going to take those chances, and he will take chances when he certainly shouldn't. They'll result in turnovers, and possibly burn us a time or two. Colo is a big question mark, but it's an improvement over kindl. Okay, im done now.</p></blockquote>

I like your analysis. But Emmerton will surprise.

#42 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Where the hell did everyone get Brunnstrom from? Didn't he elect to go play in Europe?

I assume that whoever said Brunnstrom just confused him for Brunner.

#43 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I would also like to point out, I forgot about this kid, as I am sure many others have. Danny Dekeyser will quite possibly be picking a team to join this summer so after the 48 game season we could possibly have a future all-star if he chooses to join our team, food for thought.

#44 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I would also like to point out, I forgot about this kid, as I am sure many others have. Danny Dekeyser will quite possibly be picking a team to join this summer so after the 48 game season we could possibly have a future all-star if he chooses to join our team, food for thought.

I barely want to think about that, let alone post about it here, for fear of jinxing it.

#45 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Which would be awesome. My prediction though is that he clones himslef: so he can sign with Edmonton AND Minnesota :lol:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#46 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

What about PK lines?

#47 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2338216" data-time="1357582737"><p>
I would also like to point out, I forgot about this kid, as I am sure many others have. Danny Dekeyser will quite possibly be picking a team to join this summer so after the 48 game season we could possibly have a future all-star if he chooses to join our team, food for thought.</p></blockquote>

I don't want to think about that just yet

#48 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Our D is not going to be as bad as everyone thinks. If anything, we will have an average D Corps.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Our D is not going to be as bad as everyone thinks. If anything, we will have an average D Corps.

Or an over-acheiving D...maybe they were all spoiled by having Lidstrom on the team, now they don't have that safety net.  Even when he was injured, they knew he was coming back eventually, now that net is gone...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#50 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've lurked for awhile but I thought I'd reg and reply to this. These are the lines I think we should roll with, not the ones I think we eventually will.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Miller-Helm-Tootoo
Cleary-Abdelkader-Sammy
Bertuzzi
Mursak

The top six to me was fairly easy. Bert can't be there anymore. He's very skilled but he's an anchor (and if we could trade for a forward I'd drop Mule, too). Skilled anchors worked in the olden days but now, I'd rather have younger faster legs. Contact sports rely on the push/pull relationship between contact and speed. The more we reduce contact, the more the game becomes about speed. Gus and Brunner need to take spots from guys like Bert and Cleary. If Cleary can show he's gotten some speed back, I'm all for him moving around but his lack of speed killed his game the last couple seasons. Brunner's got to at least start and likely stay with Hank, and so does Fil after last season. First line could be solid gold if god willing Mule wants to try. Third line I think could be a total nightmare for any team in the league to play against. Miller usually adapts and plays like his linemates and Helm/Tootoo are wrecking balls. Miller's shown the ability to play fast and hard. Tootoo is that extra dimension we needed on our grind line. I honestly think this line could top out as best in the league for pure grinding. 4th line is blah, whatever, Bert and Sammy can battle it out.

Kronwall-White
E-Quincey
Coliacovo-Smith
Kindl

I don't think our D is as bad as some say but I do think it needs improving. However how many true top end dmen exist anymore? It seems we're swimming in a sea of really good but not great players with only Weber, Chara, Suter and maybe Doughty left as elite. I think our top D pairing won't hurt much, contrary to popular belief. Nik I think is capable of doing what Nick's done the last few seasons. It's the second pairing that will hurt badly. No matter what we do we won't get a second line as rock solid as Nik and Stu. E and Quincey are a scary drop-off, even if I think we underrate both of them a little bit. We need to make a trade or scoop up someone who has been bought out, or something. I think the bottom 4 may swap in and out with eachother until something works. Team D this year more than ever, I think.

Howard
Gustavsson

I'll also say that I'd bet the lines will change pretty frequently until Babcock starts thinking it's a bad idea to tinker too much, especially with the forwards.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 07 January 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#51 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I've lurked for awhile but I thought I'd reg and reply to this.

Welcome! :bye1:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I've lurked for awhile but I thought I'd reg and reply to this. These are the lines I think we should roll with, not the ones I think we eventually will.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Miller-Helm-Tootoo
Cleary-Abdelkader-Sammy
Bertuzzi
Mursak

The top six to me was fairly easy. Bert can't be there anymore. He's very skilled but he's an anchor (and if we could trade for a forward I'd drop Mule, too). Skilled anchors worked in the olden days but now, I'd rather have younger faster legs. Contact sports rely on the push/pull relationship between contact and speed. The more we reduce contact, the more the game becomes about speed. Gus and Brunner need to take spots from guys like Bert and Cleary. If Cleary can show he's gotten some speed back, I'm all for him moving around but his lack of speed killed his game the last couple seasons. Brunner's got to at least start and likely stay with Hank, and so does Fil after last season. First line could be solid gold if god willing Mule wants to try. Third line I think could be a total nightmare for any team in the league to play against. Miller usually adapts and plays like his linemates and Helm/Tootoo are wrecking balls. Miller's shown the ability to play fast and hard. Tootoo is that extra dimension we needed on our grind line. I honestly think this line could top out as best in the league for pure grinding. 4th line is blah, whatever, Bert and Sammy can battle it out.

Kronwall-White
E-Quincey
Coliacovo-Smith
Kindl

I don't think our D is as bad as some say but I do think it needs improving. However how many true top end dmen exist anymore? It seems we're swimming in a sea of really good but not great players with only Weber, Chara, Suter and maybe Doughty left as elite. I think our top D pairing won't hurt much, contrary to popular belief. Nik I think is capable of doing what Nick's done the last few seasons. It's the second pairing that will hurt badly. No matter what we do we won't get a second line as rock solid as Nik and Stu. E and Quincey are a scary drop-off, even if I think we underrate both of them a little bit. We need to make a trade or scoop up someone who has been bought out, or something. I think the bottom 4 may swap in and out with eachother until something works. Team D this year more than ever, I think.

Howard
Gustavsson

I'll also say that I'd bet the lines will change pretty frequently until Babcock starts thinking it's a bad idea to tinker too much, especially with the forwards.

First things first! Welcome aboard!

Second, I like the lines, but unfortuantely I think Bert gets the nod over Miller.  I, also would trade Franzen (surprise there, eh?) I would offer him in a trade to Vancouver (where he would fit in well with the twins) in exchange for Alex Burrows. This may be something Vancouver would do just to team up Franzen with the twins. Burrows would flourish here and Franzine would flourish there and he could also be the guy to put them over the top in their quest for a Cup.  Alex would come here and work his ass off night in and night out and possibly net 30 with Dats or Z or Flip as his center...plus he doesn't cry publically about getting bored playing hockey...

The D is tricky. I totally believe Kronner will hit 50-60 points next full season and that, coupled with his hitting and leadership should solidify his #1 status here. After this short season, there isn't ANYTHING really available to write home about outside of Ryan Whitney, so the Wings are going to have to draft D this summer and try to trade up in fact to get the next top 2 defender who MUST step in the league next season, no later than 2014-2015. I would love to see them be able to get Seth Jones, but that is one hell of a trade up...there are also some fine other D available, but I think it is time to draft that next instant NHL player and with the way the Wings played to end the season and the playoffs, they may just have themselves a top 15-10 pick... they could definately snag a Pulock or Hagg with a top 15.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#53 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I think flip-Datsyuk-Bert needs to be a line... They'll get production through hardwork and forecheck. they'll force a lot of turn overs

Zetterberg seems to find chemistry with everyone he plays with and I don't remember a time where Franzen got a lot of time playing on his wing...
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner will be well balanced and each player having the ability to beat goalies with their shot

#54 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I think flip-Datsyuk-Bert needs to be a line... They'll get production through hardwork and forecheck. they'll force a lot of turn overs

Zetterberg seems to find chemistry with everyone he plays with and I don't remember a time where Franzen got a lot of time playing on his wing...
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner will be well balanced and each player having the ability to beat goalies with their shot

Would be an awesomeeeeeeeee line. Only a problem I see is then who plays on Datsyuks RW? Fil? Goose? 

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I really don't understand why everyone is so interested in seeing Datsyuk and Nyquist together.  Both are playmakers who need the puck on their stick to be effective.  Both provide MANY more assists than they do goals.  Neither are overly large and generally play on the perimeter.  It's no secret that Datsyuk's best seasons came on a line with Zetterberg who loves to shoot.  It doesn't do either of them any good to stickhandle around and create space only to pass to someone who doesn't want to shoot.  I really like Nyquist, and obviously Datsyuk is a king, but putting them together just reinforces what many around here have recognized as a problem for a while...too many playmakers and  not enough finishers.  Both Dats and Nyquist need shooters to really maximize their potential, putting them together is a waste.   I understand why people want to see Nyquist in the top six, and he will be soon, but barring injury he's better left in the AHL for this season. 

Edited by kipwinger, 07 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#56 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

What about PK lines?

Helm-Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson

Abdelkader-Cleary/Filppula

Colaiacovo-Quincey (Yuck)

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#57 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome folks :)

I don't really have a specific reason to put Pav with Gus aside from not having many other options and not having enough time to really look at Gus. But they seemed to work well together. Pav I wouldn't be worried about, if you actually try he'll make you look good. Nyquist is more effective with the puck but hey, having the best passer feeding you can be nice.

#58 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="number9" data-cid="2338319" data-time="1357600629"><p>
 <br />
Would be an awesomeeeeeeeee line. Only a problem I see is then who plays on Datsyuks RW? Fil? Goose? </p></blockquote>

Ya no real shooters but I think flip and pavs defense and tenacity will create scoring chances... If it doesn't work put Sammy on there and Bert on the 3rd. Pavs and flip playing together will get their points one way or another but our first line needs to be a game changer

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome folks :)

I don't really have a specific reason to put Pav with Gus aside from not having many other options and not having enough time to really look at Gus. But they seemed to work well together. Pav I wouldn't be worried about, if you actually try he'll make you look good. Nyquist is more effective with the puck but hey, having the best passer feeding you can be nice.

I agree, Datsyuk makes everyone look better.  But it's about maximizing effectiveness.  Ideally you don't want two guys on the same line that do the same thing.  When I think about really good line combos I think about Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan...or Dats, Zetterberg, and Holmstrom.  A playmaker, a shooter, and a crease guy.  Now I wouldn't be opposed to having Dats play with Brunner, and Nyquist with Zetterberg, in each case you'd have a playmaker  and a guy who likes to shoot, then fill in the third with whomever.  But putting Nyquist with Dats is like putting Crosby with Malkin.  Only one of them can be a wizard with the puck at any given time.  You need guys that play well away from the puck to compliment these types of players. 

Edit:  Now that I think about it, we've seen what Brunner does with Zetterberg and it's been awesome, but there's every reason to believe that he'll be twice as slick with Datsyuk.  I'll be really interested to see what those two will do together given the chance. 

So here goes...

Brunner-Datsyuk-Franzen

Flip-Zetterberg-Bert/Cleary

Sammy-Helm-Bert/Cleary

Tootoo-Abby-Miller/Eaves/etc. 

I like the look of these.

Edited by kipwinger, 07 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#60 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

As long as Bertuzzi isn't in the top 6, I'm sure I'll be happy. I'd like to see Flip play with Pav though, that's something we don't often get to see, and would likely work wonders. That said, we know he's great with Z as well. What I'd like to see:

Flip Pav Franzen

Sammy/Nyquist Z Brunner

Nyquist/Sammy Helm Cleary

Miller/Bert Abds Tootoo

Bert/Miller

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!