• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#121 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Flipper51" data-cid="2338781" data-time="1357743035"><p>
top 2 lines are almost identical to those that we had in 2008 when we won the cup. (Other than Brunner for Homer)</p></blockquote>

5 years older isnt good unless they were all 22 in 2008.

#122 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

I love throwing Brunner with Zett AND pasha. Are we putting too many eggs in a basket? Possibly. But we do what we always do, rely on our role players. We always have, and will continue to do that. Our bottom 6 looks very nice to me honestly, and I think they will produce going against most other 3rd/4th lines. Zett-Pash-Brun throws a big threat on the ice and allows for Brunner to really showcase his shot. He has two amazing play makers, both that can convert when given the chance always. Brunner showed that he can throw his body infront of the net and make the noise, although I would rather him playing the perimeter for shots. I feel like that will be a workhorse lineup and they'll most likely tire out some lines with their cycles. Fran-Filp-Sammy could work... but it's not the best. I agree that Cleary-Helmer-Bert could do some damage together. All three of them are workhorses, helmer 24/7, bert when he wants to be, and sammy can just continue throw pucks into non-existent shooting lanes. Finish off with a rough bottom 4th line and you can quickly tire out a group.

EDIT: added quote

About Mike Babcock

he likes to joke he makes all his plans on napkins, because that's how much faith he has they'll hold up.

Edited by evilzyme, 09 January 2013 - 11:07 AM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#123 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner --- a chimpanzee on skates could perform with Z and D feeding him

Goose - Filppula - Franzen ------- decent 2nd line

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi ------------ like someone said "will feast on other 3rd lines"

Tootoo - Abby - Sammy ------------ grinding with point production

Edited by number9, 09 January 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#124 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,661 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

So there's no excuse now for Francine not to be one of the league leaders in goals.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#125 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Flipper51" data-cid="2338781" data-time="1357743035"><p>
top 2 lines are almost identical to those that we had in 2008 when we won the cup. (Other than Brunner for Homer)</p></blockquote>

Oh I totally agree. I don't mind Babs putting together Pav and Z, but I hate that Sammy is on the second with Fil and the Mule and that Goose isn't given a top 6 opportunity. If I was going to have Pav and Z together I'd go with something like this...

Z-Pav-Goose/Brunner- Pav and Z do there thing and either Brunner or Goose can play with the two.

Mule- Fil- Goose/Brunner- Fil and the Mule have always had chemistry and Goose or Brunner would be a very good compliment to those two.

Cleary-Helm-Sammy- Helm is Helm, hopefully Cleary can play like his former self and Sammy can get pucks on net for those two to create havoc around it.

Bert- Abby- Tootoo-  I really feel like this can be the very best fourth line in the league. They will grind you out and can put up some very good numbers for a fourth line.

#126 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Oh I totally agree. I don't mind Babs putting together Pav and Z, but I hate that Sammy is on the second with Fil and the Mule and that Goose isn't given a top 6 opportunity. If I was going to have Pav and Z together I'd go with something like this...

Z-Pav-Goose/Brunner- Pav and Z do there thing and either Brunner or Goose can play with the two.

Mule- Fil- Goose/Brunner- Fil and the Mule have always had chemistry and Goose or Brunner would be a very good compliment to those two.

Cleary-Helm-Sammy- Helm is Helm, hopefully Cleary can play like his former self and Sammy can get pucks on net for those two to create havoc around it.

Bert- Abby- Tootoo-  I really feel like this can be the very best fourth line in the league. They will grind you out and can put up some very good numbers for a fourth line.

Yeah I think I like these lines better and I agree that 4th line would probably be the best in the league with grit and point scoring.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 09 January 2013 - 12:19 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#127 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

So if we switch the lines, they all get younger? They're all 5 years older, regardless lol. We're viewing the whole depth thing as a one way street, when it's really not. You can try too hard for depth and all lines can suffer, and I think since 2008 that's partly what's happened. I think with Flip, Mule and whoever, we can afford to "stack" the top line. Teams around the league do it and fare pretty well. Some use depth. It depends on your roster. I think we can afford to put Hank and Pav together again, especially if we find a good forward for Flip and Mule, by either trade or someone on the roster playing well with them. It's about chemistry most of the time anyway. And Mule's effort level, too. Flip has a great work ethic, fingers crossed it rubs off on Franzen.

#128 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

My concern is that Flip will regress offensively moving back to center. How long does it take Babs to split Z & Pavs if the 2nd line starts the season flat?

#129 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

If Flip regresses it'll be for the same reason he didn't score as much before-his obsession with playing defense. And that's not even a bad thing if he has wingers who can play deeper. He scored more this season because Hank took C, and played more responsible D (as a C should in our type of system) allowing Flip to take more chances offensively. Tell flip to play C and he's going to have a tough time scoring when he's in the neutral zone at the first sign of trouble. Personally, I don't care who scores as long as we win.

#130 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I don't really like the top line.  There's no net front presence on that line and because of that, I think that the they will largely be forced to play on the perimeter, which as we saw against Nashville doesn't lead to much success.  In today's game you have to have someone who can play in the crease and that's not Pav, Z, Nyquist, or Brunner's game.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#131 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2338881" data-time="1357764071"><p>
I don't really like the top line.  There's no net front presence on that line and because of that, I think that the they will largely be forced to play on the perimeter, which as we saw against Nashville doesn't lead to much success.  In today's game you have to have someone who can play in the crease and that's not Pav, Z, Nyquist, or Brunner's game.</p></blockquote>

We dont have Shanahan anymore. Sorry.

#132 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2338881" data-time="1357764071"><p>
I don't really like the top line.  There's no net front presence on that line and because of that, I think that the they will largely be forced to play on the perimeter, which as we saw against Nashville doesn't lead to much success.  In today's game you have to have someone who can play in the crease and that's not Pav, Z, Nyquist, or Brunner's game.</p></blockquote>

We dont have Shanahan anymore. Sorry.

No s***, but we do have Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Cleary and none of those guys minds going to the front of the net to screen a goalie.  Pav, Z, and Brunner will do fine during the regular season, just like Z, Hudler, and Flip did last season.  But when the games become tighter and the defense is better (playoffs) they'll struggle.  Fortunately we've got more options that this. 

Edited by kipwinger, 09 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#133 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

A third line of Bertuzzi, Helm, and Cleary sounds good to me. Babcock used this combo early last year and I wish he would've stuck with it. From what I remember, it was a good hard-working energy line that was a respectable threat offensively.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 09 January 2013 - 04:07 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#134 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2338887" data-time="1357764722"><p>
 <br />
No s***, but we do have Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Cleary and none of those guys minds going to the front of the net to screen a goalie.  Pav, Z, and Brunner will do fine during the regular season, just like Z, Hudler, and Flip did last season.  But when the games become tighter and the defense is better (playoffs) they'll struggle.  Fortunately we've got more options that this. </p></blockquote>

What Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Cleary have you been watching? Franzen is the softest 240 lb man on the planet and snipes from the circles. I cant remember the last time he took a cross check in the back. Bertuzzi has a no-contact policy on his head from the league. This means we only get to watch his one handed skate around the net escapades. And Cleary fell off the face of the earth the last 2 years. He wont be a Wing too much longer. As Number9 said, we have no SNARL.

#135 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

A third line of Bertuzzi, Helm, and Cleary sounds good to me. Babcock used this combo early last year and I wish he would've stuck with it. From what I remember, it was a good hard-working energy line that was a respectable threat offensively.

When he ran Conner-Helm-Cleary that line was insane!!!!!!!!! I loved it... then he threw bert in there when conner got sent down. Babcock will switch up lines like Bowman, even when there doesn't need to be a change. I think he just likes a new environment to keep the opponent on their feet, because we've had some insane lines with awesome chemistry only for them to get disassembled due to other lacking areas or injuries and then never thrown back together. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#136 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Bert and Cleary may be on a line with Franzen
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#137 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="evilzyme" data-cid="2338894" data-time="1357768916"><p>
 <br />
When he ran Conner-Helm-Cleary that line was insane!!!!!!!!! I loved it... then he threw bert in there when conner got sent down. Babcock will switch up lines like Bowman, even when there doesn't need to be a change. I think he just likes a new environment to keep the opponent on their feet, because we've had some insane lines with awesome chemistry only for them to get disassembled due to other lacking areas or injuries and then never thrown back together. </p></blockquote>
Yeah, I agree. Lines are so unpredictable these days that they're hardly worth focusing on. Coaches experiment all the time and you just never know who will be with who.

Edit: Something needs to be done about replying on mobile. All sorts of messed up.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 09 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#138 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

The third and fourth line will always be a factor in every game. I think Cleary and Bert will strive in that 3rd line scoring role not to mention Helm. Got to be one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

#139 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I agree about Connor. He and Helm were fap worthy. Every now and again a guy like Connor, a jobber on paper, comes along and just has a play style where you notice him all the time. Good things happened with him out there. I will hardly ever question our management and coaches but not only dropping Connor to GR but letting him go to another team altogether was a mistake.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 09 January 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#140 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,661 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Bert and Cleary may be on a line with Franzen

That line would be a tragedy to watch if those guys play like they did last season.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.