• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Team Roll Call.

Rate this topic

I dunno where he heard that but from what I have read there was absolutely no question Pavel was coming back. Pavel himself has said that over and over since September that he would be back and so has his agent. Furthermore, this morning on my facebook Pavel Datsyuk's page posted to "Mojo in the Morning's" facebook page (a radio station show in Detroit) which stated that his flight was booked and he will be back in detroit later this week. So Aaron Ward got his sources wrong lol

"Of course, I will probably have to leave, but my heart's here," Datsyuk told Sport-Express. "... Well, at least I celebrated the New Year at home, which for a long time did not happen. There is a possibility that I stay? It is always there. ...

"Actually, I originally wanted to spend the season with CSKA until the end; it is a pleasure to play for their fans, to hear the Russian language."

I'm guessing this is what Aaron Ward was reffering to.

You can't hate on the guy, he's made it known that he doesn't want to finish his career in Detroit but rather in the mother land. If anything, he'll sign 1-2 years after this current contract then he'll retire in the KHL. I heard filp will be ready to play once the season starts, colo will be out due to his recent injury and eaves was still having concussion symptoms which will lead to him probably out this season also. Other than that, we're looking good and have no runaway kids.

@NYP_Brooksie

...last Friday, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk were preparing press release to announce they intended to remain in KHL regardless...

@SlavaMalamud

"Datsyuk hasn't left, either... If Medvedev says it's OK, we'll play in the All-Star Game" - Kovalchuk to Sport-Express #NJDevils #RedWings

@SlavaMalamud

Hearing talk from Russia, that oil and natural gas magnates who own SKA and CSKA will look into ways of keeping Kovalchuk, Datsyuk.

@SlavaMalamud

To all asking, the only possible avenue for KHL to keep Kovalchuk/Datsyuk (IMO) is to try to prove their NHL deals are voided w/ new CBA.

@mosesfram

Uhhh Datsyuk? RT @Deadspin: The NHL dodged a Putin-sponsored Russian player mutiny, but they're not in the clear yet. http://deadsp.in/UdlovMf

From the deadspin article:

Brooks reported that Vladimir Putin himself guaranteed the four players $30 million each to stay. The NHLPA talked the big four out of that deal—presumably by guaranteeing them that labor peace would soon arrive, which it did—but the KHL hasn't quit yet. Malamud reported today that the energy kingpins who own Kovalchuk and Datsyuk's teams are presently preparing more tempting offers to keep them around.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="rrasco" data-cid="2338384" data-time="1357614915"><p>

Interesting...<br />

<br />

</p></blockquote>

Blasphemy

I don't doubt there was extreme pressure on Datsyuk, Kovy, Malkin and Ovy to stay in Russia (both from a nationalist and a financial perspective).

Imagine if the roles were reveresed and the KHL was the top league who had locked players out. Now suppose the NHL brought all those Canadian and American guys back to NA during the KHL lockout to play in front of their home fans.... Can you imagine how much pressure there would be from Canadian media for guys like Crosby to stay in Canada and play in front of their families? And if the money was the same, wouldn't you be tempted to stay?

All that being said, I'm sure Datsyuk will play out his best years in Detroit, even past the remainder of this contract. After that I have no doubt he'd retire in the KHL as other Russian stars have.

Don't doubt that some of this media buzz was generated because some players and agents made statements intended to influence negotiations.