• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Tomas Holmstrom Retires

Rate this topic

I love me some Homer as much as the next man, but I think Phil Esposito might disagree with your statement ;)

Its a spooky, eery feeling. Who knows when we'll see another Stanley Cup?

Might take some time and as some GMs are calling it rebuild/tool :( thanks to the stupid salary cap.

Wow. Caps off a horrible day for me.

The end of a great era has come. Homer was an absolute warrior for us. Did whatever it took to win. Took the most abuse I've ever seen a hockey player take, and he always came back for more. An integral part of our team for the last ~15 years, Homer will be dearly missed. One of my favorite Detroit Red Wings ever.

Enjoy retirement, champ.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I echo many of the sentiments already mentioned here. Homer was one of my favourites because of the sheer heart and determination the guy brought to the rink each night. He literally gave it his all and we all knew and appreciated that. For a guy who could barely skate, he sure made a nice career for himself. He was so great at screening the goalie. Many goals were scored because of him blocking the goalie's view and paying a price for it. Yet in most of these goals, his name did not show up on the scoresheet. Holmstrom represented that so called intangible that you just cannot measure in a player with a statistic. I recall how he made his mark during the 98 playoffs and found himself playing on Stevie's line. He was a winner pure and simple. His teammates loved him and so did us Wings fans. He will never be forgotten and can be very proud of his successful career. I will miss his swenglish interviews but most of all I will miss the guy's heart. Homer, you were a joy to watch and I thank you for paying the price, bleeding and taking all those whacks and playing an integral part in the Red Wings winning 4 Stanley Cups. One of my lasting memories during this period is a Lidstrom bomb from the point with Homer screening the goalie and the Wings scoring a big goal. It seemed to happen so many times. As much as I miss #5, I will miss #96 just as much. He is a perfect example of how heart can succeed. Enjoy your retirement Homer. You deserve it. :bye1:

For a guy who can't skate and slowly unlearned English during his hockey with Detroit, he had one hell of a career.

Yep, over 1000 games in a Detroit uni...has anyone mentioned jersey retirement yet?

Gonna miss Homer, but it is time. Hopefully Dan O'Halloran will finally leave us alone now when it comes to goalie "interference".

Danny boy is gonna MC his retirement party! It only makes sense!

Edited by LeftWinger

Homer was my favorite, but this retirement is the right time. He's had a great career.

Thanks Homer!

I'm a HUGE homer fun, but HELL NO to jersey retirement. He just simply wasn't that good. Just because a player is beloved, doesn't mean we retire his number. Save that for the Yzerman's, Lidstrom's, and Howe's. The players that were legendary.

Hero's will be remembered, but legends get number retirement (or they never die, but...)

Yep, over 1000 games in a Detroit uni...has anyone mentioned jersey retirement yet?

Homer was my favorite, but this retirement is the right time. He's had a great career.

Thanks Homer!

I'm a HUGE homer fun, but HELL NO to jersey retirement. He just simply wasn't that good. Just because a player is beloved, doesn't mean we retire his number. Save that for the Yzerman's, Lidstrom's, and Howe's. The players that were legendary.

Hero's will be remembered, but legends get number retirement (or they never die, but...)

Well lets look at a few things:

#6 on the team in games played with 1026

#3 on the team in Powerplay goals with 122

#5 on the team in GWG with 39

Less than 100 points away from being in the top 10 in all time points for the Wings. There is no questioning his importance to this team over his career. It's not like anyone is ever gonna wear #96 again, but I think the argument holds some water...but then again, I believe Osgood's #30 should go up there too...and a strong argument for Fedorov. But that is it. I am not looking to throw all #'s from the dynasty up there...

I will miss him. In the times that I ran into him at training camp, I never felt anything but comfortable being around him. You never felt like you were in the presence of a "celebrity" - more like a good friend and drinking compainon.

Well lets look at a few things:

#6 on the team in games played with 1026

#3 on the team in Powerplay goals with 122

#5 on the team in GWG with 39

Less than 100 points away from being in the top 10 in all time points for the Wings. There is no questioning his importance to this team over his career. It's not like anyone is ever gonna wear #96 again, but I think the argument holds some water...but then again, I believe Osgood's #30 should go up there too...and a strong argument for Fedorov. But that is it. I am not looking to throw all #'s from the dynasty up there...

I think it's pretty much a lock though that no inclusion in the HHoF means no number in the rafters where the Wings are concerned & Homer isn't getting into the HHoF.

Edit: Well, not necessarily true. He can buy a ticket...

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Hockeytown0001" data-cid="2338731" data-time="1357713043"><p>

<br />

I wouldn't say that. I would however, be surprised to see someone wear #96 any time soon. </p></blockquote>

There you go. #96 wont be worn for a while. But retiring it is ridiculous.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Hockeytown0001" data-cid="2338740" data-time="1357714713"><p>

It will probably be a Konstantinov-like situation - the number not being "officially" retired, and yet its an unwritten rule that nobody wears it. </p></blockquote>

Maybe for a few years. Until someone who was born in '96 wants it.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Hockeytown0001" data-cid="2338731" data-time="1357713043"><p>

<br />

I wouldn't say that. I would however, be surprised to see someone wear #96 any time soon. </p></blockquote>

There you go. #96 wont be worn for a while. But retiring it is ridiculous.

I agree. No one will wear it for a while, but it's not like it will be off-limits.

Number retirement would be ridiculous. We love Homer, but he's just not that good at the things that get your number in the rafters.

Sad to see him go... He was stronger on the puck in the corners and behind the net/Infont of the net than many of late....

Agreed. It's time, but he will be missed. Homer gets most of the attention for what he does in front of the net, but the dirty work he did in the corners digging out the puck was just as important.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="haroldsnepsts" data-cid="2338862" data-time="1357757151"><p>

<br />

Agreed. It's time, but he will be missed. Homer gets most of the attention for what he does in front of the net, but the dirty work he did in the corners digging out the puck was just as important. </p></blockquote>

It will be interesting who will take over that role, insert Danny Boy... Closest thing... I would think if Nick stayed Homer would of...