• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Smply the best screener to play- re-invented that position.

I love me some Homer as much as the next man, but I think Phil Esposito might disagree with your statement ;)

And thus rides into retirement the last active member of the '97, '98, '02 and '08 teams. An era has ended.

Its a spooky, eery feeling.  Who knows when we'll see another Stanley Cup?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I love me some Homer as much as the next man, but I think Phil Esposito might disagree with your statement ;)

probably in 2012/2013 :P

#43 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

If you only had a nickname spelling controversy, you would still be a legend here on LGW, Tomas.  But you were oh so much more than that.  I thank you for the memories and wish you farewell.

works every time

#44 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Oh, heavens..."The Murph and Homer Show". That would be so full of epic awesomeness that the league would have to pass a "pre-game parity" clause to keep other teams from being jealous.

The first time through I read this is as "pre-game PARTY" - very appropriate since it always seems like Murph is drunk.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#45 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's very scary to think that there is really no one that will play like him on this team.  It's also very very sad.  It will be interesting season w/o Homer and Lids and even into next season.  I'm worried.

Good luck Homer!  I'll miss you so much!

#46 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

For a guy who can't skate and slowly unlearned English during his hockey with Detroit, he had one hell of a career.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#47 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

It's amazing to think of the career he's had given the fact that had he not created his own style of play, he would've been out of the league well over a decade ago. Good on him for creating that style which is now a necessity on all NHL teams.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#48 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Gonna miss Homer, but it is time. Hopefully Dan O'Halloran will finally leave us alone now when it comes to goalie "interference".

#NOMOREKINDL

#49 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

What a career. Just brilliant hand-eye coordination and played his role in front of the crease better than anyone. I can't believe his body held up well enough as long as it did to continue playing. Truly a warrior and a major piece to the Red Wings having four championships.

Thanks for the memories, Homer. Damn, I hate losing all of these guys that we have lately.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#50 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Wings games won't be the same without Homer's ass in the opposing team's net anymore :(

Thanks for everything, Tomas, you will be missed.

Edited by wingsgirl001, 07 January 2013 - 08:05 PM.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#51 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Most cross checks in the back = espo. 2nd = homer.

#52 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Might take some time and as some GMs are calling it rebuild/tool :( thanks to the stupid salary cap.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#53 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Wow. Caps off a horrible day for me.

The end of a great era has come. Homer was an absolute warrior for us. Did whatever it took to win. Took the most abuse I've ever seen a hockey player take, and he always came back for more. An integral part of our team for the last ~15 years, Homer will be dearly missed. One of my favorite Detroit Red Wings ever.

Enjoy retirement, champ.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#54 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

One of my all time favorite players!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#55 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Best screener in the league.  Best of luck, Homer.

The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#56 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I echo many of the sentiments already mentioned here.  Homer was one of my favourites because of the sheer heart and determination the guy brought to the rink each night.  He literally gave it his all and we all knew and appreciated that.  For a guy who could barely skate, he sure made a nice career for himself.  He was so great at screening the goalie.  Many goals were scored because of him blocking the goalie's view and paying a price for it.  Yet in most of these goals, his name did not show up on the scoresheet.  Holmstrom represented that so called intangible that you just cannot measure in a player with a statistic.  I recall how he made his mark during the 98 playoffs and found himself playing on Stevie's line.  He was a winner pure and simple.  His teammates loved him and so did us Wings fans.  He will never be forgotten and can be very proud of his successful career.  I will miss his swenglish interviews but most of all I will miss the guy's heart.  Homer, you were a joy to watch and I thank you for paying the price, bleeding and taking all those whacks and playing an integral part in the Red Wings winning 4 Stanley Cups.  One of my lasting memories during this period is a Lidstrom bomb from the point with Homer screening the goalie and the Wings scoring a big goal.  It seemed to happen so many times.  As much as I miss #5, I will miss #96 just as much.  He is a perfect example of how heart can succeed.  Enjoy your retirement Homer.  You deserve it. :bye1:

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

For a guy who can't skate and slowly unlearned English during his hockey with Detroit, he had one hell of a career.

Yep, over 1000 games in a Detroit uni...has anyone mentioned jersey retirement yet?

Gonna miss Homer, but it is time. Hopefully Dan O'Halloran will finally leave us alone now when it comes to goalie "interference".

Danny boy is gonna MC his retirement party! It only makes sense!

Edited by LeftWinger, 08 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#58 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Homer was my favorite, but this retirement is the right time.  He's had a great career.

Thanks Homer!

I'm a HUGE homer fun, but HELL NO to jersey retirement.  He just simply wasn't that good.  Just because a player is beloved, doesn't mean we retire his number.  Save that for the Yzerman's, Lidstrom's, and Howe's.  The players that were legendary.

Hero's will be remembered, but legends get number retirement (or they never die, but...)

Yep, over 1000 games in a Detroit uni...has anyone mentioned jersey retirement yet?

#59 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Homer was my favorite, but this retirement is the right time.  He's had a great career.

Thanks Homer!

I'm a HUGE homer fun, but HELL NO to jersey retirement.  He just simply wasn't that good.  Just because a player is beloved, doesn't mean we retire his number.  Save that for the Yzerman's, Lidstrom's, and Howe's.  The players that were legendary.

Hero's will be remembered, but legends get number retirement (or they never die, but...)

Well lets look at a few things:

#6 on the team in games played with 1026

#3 on the team in Powerplay goals with 122

#5 on the team in GWG with 39

Less than 100 points away from being in the top 10 in all time points for the Wings.  There is no questioning his importance to this team over his career. It's not like anyone is ever gonna wear #96 again, but I think the argument holds some water...but then again, I believe Osgood's #30 should go up there too...and a strong argument for Fedorov. But that is it. I am not looking to throw all #'s from the dynasty up there...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#60 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I will miss him. In the times that I ran into him at training camp, I never felt anything but comfortable being around him. You never felt like you were in the presence of a "celebrity" - more like a good friend and drinking compainon.
Posted Image