• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HELLDOGSbmx

Zetterberg named Captain, 36th Captain in Red Wings History

Rate this topic

Zetterberg will be officially named captain on Tuesday

The Red Wings are starting their campaign to win back fans angered by the lockout by having a free Red and White Game on Tuesday.

They plan to use that opportunity to anoint Henrik Zetterberg as the new captain. The announcement will be made before the 6 p.m. start of the game.

Zetterberg, 32, takes over for Nicklas Lidstrom, who retired last May. It's a job the Wings have been grooming Zetterberg for since last decade, when they placed his locker next to then-captain Steve Yzerman

http://www.freep.com/article/20130113/SPORTS05/130113017/1053/sports05?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FreepDetroitRedWings+%28freep.com+|+Detroit+Red+Wings%29

Anyone suggesting Helm wear any letter on his sweater, have you ever actually heard the man talk? Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite Wings, but he has about the equal intelligence of a dinner plate... There is more to a "C" or an "A" than just work ethic and team play...

Anyone suggesting Helm wear any letter on his sweater, have you ever actually heard the man talk? Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite Wings, but he has about the equal intelligence of a dinner plate... There is more to a "C" or an "A" than just work ethic and team play...

On his recent back injury (from freep):

Helm said the biggest problem right now is that "it's hard for me to bend down and touch my toes, pick anything up. But, I'm excused from doing anything around the house. I'm going to milk it as long as I can."

Seems bright enough to me :)

Edited by Echolalia

I thought the press conference was scheduled for tomorrow at 4:45pm before the scrimmage?

EDIT*** OH MAH GAWD ITS THE 15TH TODAY!! I THOUGHT THE GAME WAS TOMORROW THANK THE LORD WE GOT SOME HOCKEY TONIGHT BOYS!!!

Edited by evilzyme

i don't think he is. I think it would have been a no brainier for datsyuk to be named captain if he wanted it

While I agree with that, in the Datsyuk KHL All-Star skill thread thingamabob, there was a lot of discussion about how he's divorced now, his daughter lives in Russia with his ex-wife, and he really likes it there because he's closer to her. His contract ends next season, I believe. While no one here would want it to happen, he could very easily not re-sign, and go back to playing in Russia to be nearer his family. The Red Wings are not in the habit of doling out the captain's C to someone who isn't going to be here for at least the remainder of their career, which is what they did for Steve, then Nick, and now Hank.

Just my $0.02 on the issue. Pavs would make a tremendous captain, but there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that I could see keeping him from getting it.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Electrophile" data-cid="2340336" data-time="1358287031"><p>

<br />

<br />

While I agree with that, in the Datsyuk KHL All-Star skill thread thingamabob, there was a lot of discussion about how he's divorced now, his daughter lives in Russia with his ex-wife, and he really likes it there because he's closer to her. His contract ends next season, I believe. While no one here would want it to happen, he could very easily not re-sign, and go back to playing in Russia to be nearer his family. The Red Wings are not in the habit of doling out the captain's C to someone who isn't going to be here for at least the remainder of their career, which is what they did for Steve, then Nick, and now Hank. <br />

<br />

Just my $0.02 on the issue. Pavs would make a tremendous captain, but there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that I could see keeping him from getting it.</p></blockquote>

No red wings Dats divorces allowed.

Guest irishock

"to whom much is given, much is expected"

can't think of a better line for Hockeytown.