• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

red wings at 11 to 1 odds to win it all

Rate this topic

with the defense they have?

please.

Tell me more about how good or bad the Wings defense is. Last I checked this defense squad had not played a single game together yet.

On paper it might look like a less than stellar defensive group, but defense also has to do with things like chemistry and coaching, team effort, goaltending.

Also odds depend on other things than simply rosters, I believe if a lot of people bet on the Wings that lowers their odds.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dat's sick" data-cid="2338155" data-time="1357572821"><p>

<br />

<br />

Also odds depend on other things than simply rosters, I believe if a lot of people bet on the Wings that lowers their odds. </p></blockquote>

This. Wings are consistently successful so it's not much of a surprise but idk 6th is better than I thought it'd be.

Also, I'm sure out D will be just fine. It won't be as good as we're used to but I'm not too worried.

Forward group is better than last year I think. Defense definitely looks worse, but I'd rather that than the other way around. Defense is easier to improve systematically. I often see defensemen look great with one team and not so good with another. Same could be said for a forward group, but I tend to think you either have the talent at forward or you don't.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dat's sick" data-cid="2338155" data-time="1357572821"><p>

<br />

<br />

Also odds depend on other things than simply rosters, I believe if a lot of people bet on the Wings that lowers their odds. </p></blockquote>

This. Wings are consistently successful so it's not much of a surprise but idk 6th is better than I thought it'd be.

Also, I'm sure out D will be just fine. It won't be as good as we're used to but I'm not too worried.

I have been saying I am not worried since august. The way I see it, yes we DID lose the perfect human.I am not overly concerned about the loss of Stuart considering Ericsson played just as well as him last year and towards the end you could tell he didn't want to be there anymore. Lidstrom does leave a big hole to fill, but if you look at all the other teams defense there is very few that are as good as our defense is all around. With the addition of one great dman we would qrguably have the best D in the league.

Tell me more about how good or bad the Wings defense is. Last I checked this defense squad had not played a single game together yet.

On paper it might look like a less than stellar defensive group, but defense also has to do with things like chemistry and coaching, team effort, goaltending.

Also odds depend on other things than simply rosters, I believe if a lot of people bet on the Wings that lowers their odds.

If you want chemistry, Coliacovo used to play with White in Toronto and is a solid #5/6 pickup. Brendan Smith is a ******* stud. Can't wait to see him up full time. Brunner is leading the Swiss league with 2 NHL'ers on each team...take that for what it's worth to you guys, but i'm impressed. Nyquist should be up and in the top 6 so there's some youth injection and a young pair of legs. Franzen may not get bored with a shorter season so he won't be sleeping come playoff time. And the biggest thing of all, there is only 48 games, which historically the Wings players get injured about 20 games before playoffs. Health is always the biggest concern for a usually older Wings team. Lastly, with Lids retiring, maybe that sparks Kronner to be the #1 guy and come out of the shadows of guys like Lids and Rafalski and show the league what he's made of, and maybe everyone takes more defensive responsiblity knowing that Lids isn't back there to save the day.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

the red wings weren't the 6th best team in the league last year, and this year's defense is undeniably worse.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="toby91_ca" data-cid="2338196" data-time="1357580957"><p>

Forward group is better than last year I think. Defense definitely looks worse, but I'd rather that than the other way around. Defense is easier to improve systematically. I often see defensemen look great with one team and not so good with another. Same could be said for a forward group, but I tend to think you either have the talent at forward or you don't.</p></blockquote>

Forward group is definitely better. We have a lot of options. All our stars are back of course and we have a great youth injection option.. Like it or not, tootoo does add a little more grit.. And with the large amount of forwards, people are going to be fighting for spots to play. I think our forward group will be hungry and will produce because of it. Also, I think franzen takes on even more of an in front of the net role with holmer retiring; which should fit his lazy play style pretty nicely ha. I like the look of our offense and as I said before, our D will be fine.

Also, having the motor city monster as Jimmy's backup will help out a lot. He's a solid tendy and will give jimmy the occasional rest that he definitely needs.

the red wings weren't the 6th best team in the league last year, and this year's defense is undeniably worse.

You're right... we were 8th best. We were in the top 3 for most of the season, unfortunately we became injury plagued and had half our team replaced by grand rapids players. we hung in at 6th place league wide for quite some time, ultimately still finishing with a very respectable 102 points even with all our injuries. I think if we stay healthy 6th place should be easily attained.

Guest Crymson
with the defense they have?

please.

I was wondering how long it would take somebody to sell the Wings short. I'm not sure if you're aware, but the odds-makers make pretty damned sure that they're being as accurate as possible on these predictions; they stand to lose a lot of money otherwise. They do not simply make up the odds out of thin air; they consult analysts on the issue and make informed decisions.

They do not simply make up the odds out of thin air; they consult analysts on the issue and make informed decisions.

they're not doing a very good job, then.

Ericsson is steadily improving every season and is an improvement over Stuart at this point IMO. Kronwall was awful last year for the most part so expect an improvement from him. Quincey is a good D man that never got a real chance to show what he's capable of. White is hard to say he could take a step back who knows. Smith has enormous potential, and Kindl I think will be better than people expect. Colo I really don't know anything about

You have had 4 posts so far, none of which seem to say anything meaningful or intelligent. Please explain why you think that these analysts are not doing a good job.

i already did:

i already did:

Like I said no logic or reasoning. I responded explaining they were injury plagued. Prior to that they were fighting for top spot in the west the entire way, plus they were 3 points off of 5th in the league and 2 points off of 6th even with injuries plaguing half the team at once. with a 48 game season, and no Lidstrom 6th in the league is a very real possibility.

Like I said no logic or reasoning. I responded explaining they were injury plagued. Prior to that they were fighting for top spot in the west the entire way, plus they were 3 points off of 5th in the league and 2 points off of 6th even with injuries plaguing half the team at once. with a 48 game season, and no Lidstrom 6th in the league is a very real possibility.

feel free to bump this thread when the regular season is over if they are 6th in the league or higher. i think they'll be incredibly lucky to even be 6th in the west.

is it that bad, that Wings fans begin praising Ericsson?

last I checked, I mean about a year ago, he was LGW's puck coughing scapegoat for all bad that goes in Wings D. does retirement of Big Nick change this?

seriously... steady defensive core will probably be of huge importance this year, so teams which have well developed core will probably fare better as the others will barely have enough time to get their D-men playing well together. I don't really expect Wings to excel in this category with so significant change. especially with so many question marks about our D coaching being already raised last season...

I hope for good but rather expect average results...

Everyone that is worried about losing Lidstrom, take solace in the fact that no other team in the league has a Lidstrom either.

I personally see this shortened season as a trial for what is to come from new players and to see how much is left in other players tanks.

Also, for defense, if Holland snags DeKeyser after this season, that'll add to depth with already drafted guys like Sproul, Oulette and McKee whom I believe will all be future Wings.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24
What were their odds at the beginning of last season?

Just wondering.

i dunno..

with all the talk aboot how the wings needing to sign more grit players like The Rock or Syvester Stallone.

heck maybe even sign arnold schwarzenegger lol :) :)