• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Behind Enemy Lines in CO

What Happened to Realignment?

Rate this topic

Not sure, but my thoughts would be as follows:

- realignment wouldn't have been part of the CBA, many other things might need joint agreement between players and owners, but not necessarily part of an overal CBA agreement.

- realignment won't happen for this shortened season. If there will be realignment, the players and owners must agree on it and it would happen for the 2013-14 season at the earliest.

The only reason the last realignment didn't go through is because the players weren't consulted. I believe they took a stand and didn't approve it to show the league that they won't be pushed around (just my thought).

Not sure, but my thoughts would be as follows: - realignment wouldn't have been part of the CBA, many other things might need joint agreement between players and owners, but not necessarily part of an overal CBA agreement. - realignment won't happen for this shortened season. If there will be realignment, the players and owners must agree on it and it would happen for the 2013-14 season at the earliest. The only reason the last realignment didn't go through is because the players weren't consulted. I believe they took a stand and didn't approve it to show the league that they won't be pushed around (just my thought).

On top of that, I'm willing to bet 53.33% of the league's teams (16, that is) shot it down because it gave an unfair advantage to the two smaller divisions totaling 14. It was an interesting thought if the league had enough teams to be divisible by 4, but it was stupid to put it out there given the NHL has 30 teams. Drop the league to 28 teams or add 2 and they may have had a decent shot of passing it.

Not sure, but my thoughts would be as follows: - realignment wouldn't have been part of the CBA, many other things might need joint agreement between players and owners, but not necessarily part of an overal CBA agreement. - realignment won't happen for this shortened season. If there will be realignment, the players and owners must agree on it and it would happen for the 2013-14 season at the earliest. The only reason the last realignment didn't go through is because the players weren't consulted. I believe they took a stand and didn't approve it to show the league that they won't be pushed around (just my thought).

I think it was definitely the beginning of the hostilities. The NHL didn't include the NHLPA in the discussion at all, then showed them the realignment plan when they basically showed everyone. If memory serves the NHLPA requested more info which the league either didn't provide at all or provided very close to the decision deadline they set for the union. Bettman in his infinite wisdom even made snide comments about not really having to include them.

It was definitely the start of hostilities between the NHL and NHLPA.

I think ultimately it's something both sides could get behind when handled correctly.

On top of that, I'm willing to bet 53.33% of the league's teams (16, that is) shot it down because it gave an unfair advantage to the two smaller divisions of 14. It was an interesting thought if the league had enough teams to be divisible by 4, but it was stupid to put it out there given the NHL has 30 teams. Drop the league to 28 teams or add 2 and they may have had a decent shot of passing it.

That was the ridiculous part. They made concessions to teams in the east not because the realignment would make things terrible for them, but because it would make them less favorable of a schedule than they already have, which is currently much better than most teams in the league have it.

Either way you look at it, Winnipeg should be in a division with probably Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Minnesota. I hated the idea of 4 divisions cause it doesn't split the teams up fairly. it should remain as 6 divisions but realignment needs to be brought back to the table asap for next season. look at a map and you'll see how ridiculous it is that the Jets are still in the South East or something like that when they are actually Norty West on a map, or Central North.

I heard that they will do a simple swap with Columbus for this short season, and then tackle realignment in the summer. Which means that Columbus will be going East under a full realignment....they wouldn't just move them back and forth lol.

EDIT: Unless there is no East/West anymore?

Edited by evilmrt

I heard that they will do a simple swap with Columbus for this short season, and then tackle realignment in the summer. Which means that Columbus will be going East under a full realignment....they wouldn't just move them back and forth lol.

EDIT: Unless there is no East/West anymore?

You got a source for that?

Funny how the two florida teams are so far away from the rest of their division teams.... You would think that they would be with 5 more southern teams...
Funny how the two florida teams are so far away from the rest of their division teams.... You would think that they would be with 5 more southern teams...

Thought the same thing.

Thought the same thing.

I believe that was some idea cooked up by the Panthers and Lightning ownership, due to potential high attendance from the visiting teams up north, the snowbird factor, etc. The players no likey, though lol.

Here is what I think would be great for next year:

Eastern:

Div. 1

Boston Bruins

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

New York Rangers

Brooklyn Islanders

Div. 2

Detroit Red Wings

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Div. 3

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Carolina Hurricanes

Washington Capitals

Pittsburgh Penguins

Western Conference

Div. 1

Columbus Blue Jackets

Chicago Blackhawks

St. Louis Blues

Nashville Predators

Dallas Stars

Div. 2

Minnesota Wild

Winnipeg Jets

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Div. 3

Vancouver Canucks

San Jose Sharks

Anaheim Ducks

LA Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

Simple, easy, less travel for everyone! Make It Happen Kenny! FRK YA!

Keep the Jets in the East and the Wings in the West.

That way when your child fails geography they'll have an excellent excuse. It's the NHL's fault!

Edited by puffy

Here is what I think would be great for next year:

Eastern:

Div. 1

Boston Bruins

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

New York Rangers

Brooklyn Islanders

Div. 2

Detroit Red Wings

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Div. 3

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Carolina Hurricanes

Washington Capitals

Pittsburgh Penguins

Western Conference

Div. 1

Columbus Blue Jackets

Chicago Blackhawks

St. Louis Blues

Nashville Predators

Dallas Stars

Div. 2

Minnesota Wild

Winnipeg Jets

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Div. 3

Vancouver Canucks

San Jose Sharks

Anaheim Ducks

LA Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

Simple, easy, less travel for everyone! Make It Happen Kenny! FRK YA!

That is pretty good, although the only issue I have is Vancouver is not in a good conference, too much travel. They should either be in eastern div. 3 or west div. 2. While it is not an overly high amount of travel, I do not know if they would agree to it, considering they are right in the middle of two other divisions

That is pretty good, although the only issue I have is Vancouver is not in a good conference, too much travel. They should either be in eastern div. 3 or west div. 2. While it is not an overly high amount of travel, I do not know if they would agree to it, considering they are right in the middle of two other divisions

Could always swap Vancouver with Colorado in my mock-up. But Vancouver will have to travel to Minnesota still.....

Could always swap Vancouver with Colorado in my mock-up. But Vancouver will have to travel to Minnesota still.....

Ya but I still think that is easier, and less travel for both those teams after. Ok we're good, lets send the proposal to Bettman, and Fehr, and in 1 week it will look completely different, and in 6 months it should be almost identical again and they will finally agree :)