• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Cup Contender Formula

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

I think we all agree we are a few pieces short right now. Pretend you are Kenny Holland and put your midseason trades/deadline deals together to get the Wings into serious contention.

I would look to bring in Yandle from the Coyotes as priority number 1. It's gonna cost us Smith and Filppula, but I make the move to solidify the D. Next I look to add goal scoring. I deal Frk, Bertuzzi, and a 1st rounder to Anaheim for Selanne.

Selanne-Datsyuk-Franzen

Samuelsson-Zetterberg-Brunner

Nyquist-Helm-Cleary

Tootoo-Emmerton-Abdelkader

Yandle-White

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincy-Kindl

Howard

Gustavsson

Break the bank Kenny!

Falcao-Story.jpg

In all seriousness, I don't see us making big moves. Aren't we closer to the cap than thought previously? And isn't it already midseason? LOL

We may get some depth on the bottom lines and bottom pairings, but that's about it.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I think we all agree we are a few pieces short right now. Pretend you are Kenny Holland and put your midseason trades/deadline deals together to get the Wings into serious contention.

I would look to bring in Yandle from the Coyotes as priority number 1. It's gonna cost us Smith and Filppula, but I make the move to solidify the D. Next I look to add goal scoring. I deal Frk, Bertuzzi, and a 1st rounder to Anaheim for Selanne.

Selanne-Datsyuk-Franzen

Nyquist-Helm-Cleary

Yandle-White

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincy-Kindl

Howard

Gustavsson

Are you high?! Smith and Fil for a dman that can't play top 10 D? I'd want a better dman than yandle for that package. Then you deal essentially 2 firsts and bert for one year of selanne? thats ridiculous.

I agree we need a dman. But trading our best d prospect isn't the answer to fixing our d long term. If we could get another top 4 dman and let almquist, ouellet, sproul develop we will be in a good position 3-4 years from now. We will be bringing in guys like Tatar, Jarnkrok, and Pulkkinen in the next season or two. Consider moving some aging forwards out of the lineup in trades etc. - likely for more picks to refill the cupboard after.

The way to win a cup is to have some stars in their prime and a bunch of talented youngsters on rookie contracts to squeeze under the cap. THAT is how its done in today's NHL.

I wouldn't trade Smith 1 for 1 with Yandle. Sure Yandle is good and proven, but Smith is way grittier and I believe he will be more of the Shea Weber type we want for the Wings.

At this point as well, why would we trade Flip in his prime for Selanne on his last year? Selanne goes anywhere else, it's likely to finish his career where he started it.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Z Winged Dangler" data-cid="2338439" data-time="1357653577"><p>

I wouldn't trade Smith 1 for 1 with Yandle. Sure Yandle is good and proven, but Smith is way grittier and I believe he will be more of the Shea Weber type we want for the Wings.At this point as well, why would we trade Flip in his prime for Selanne on his last year? Selanne goes anywhere else, it's likely to finish his career where he started it.</p></blockquote>

What would you do then?

Guest Johnz96
I wouldn't trade Smith 1 for 1 with Yandle. Sure Yandle is good and proven, but Smith is way grittier and I believe he will be more of the Shea Weber type we want for the Wings. At this point as well, why would we trade Flip in his prime for Selanne on his last year? Selanne goes anywhere else, it's likely to finish his career where he started it.

I thinks Smith may already be a better hockey player than Yandle, he is certainly a more complete defenseman and at this stage of his career, Filppula is a much better hockey player than Selanne

Edited by Johnz96

Selanne-Datsyuk-Franzen

Nyquist-Helm-Cleary

Yandle-White

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincy-Kindl

Howard

Gustavsson

Our weakest area is D and you want to trade our #1 D prospect ( plus Fil) for Yandle. Smith has the potential to be at least as good as Yandle. No thanks

give free agents campoli and milan jurcina a look in camp. both D-men, both had decent seasons last year.

give kindl and carlo some competition for the 6-7-8th spots on D

we got more offense than we know what to do with.

i just hope we can see eaves again.

We need a legitimate top 6 forward. I believe Ryane Clowe is a free agent following this season. Any chance we could pick him up at the deadline? Obviously it is too early to tell at this point, but if the Sharks find themselves out of the playoff hunt, they may be looking to deal him, especially if they think he'll bolt in the summer.

Give Jim Vandermeer a look in training camp. He is solid defensively, clears the crease, kills penalties, and sticks up for his teammates. He's not flashy, but he knows his role and plays it well.

Find a legitimate 4th line center.

No way in hell do I trade Filppula and Smith for Yandle.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bring Back The Bruise Bros" data-cid="2338877" data-time="1357762903"><p>

We need a legitimate top 6 forward. I believe Ryane Clowe is a free agent following this season. Any chance we could pick him up at the deadline? Obviously it is too early to tell at this point, but if the Sharks find themselves out of the playoff hunt, they may be looking to deal him, especially if they think he'll bolt in the summer. <br />

<br />

Give Jim Vandermeer a look in training camp. He is solid defensively, clears the crease, kills penalties, and sticks up for his teammates. He's not flashy, but he knows his role and plays it well. <br />

<br />

Find a legitimate 4th line center.<br />

<br />

No way in hell do I trade Filppula and Smith for Yandle.</p></blockquote>

Im glad you offered some input. I agree with you that we are missing a top 6 guy/goal scorer. I think we also need a top 2 dman, tho. How can we get these without giving something up? We are trying with Brunner, but who knows if he pans out or not.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Axe" data-cid="2338883" data-time="1357764134"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bring Back The Bruise Bros" data-cid="2338877" data-time="1357762903"><p><br />

We need a legitimate top 6 forward. I believe Ryane Clowe is a free agent following this season. Any chance we could pick him up at the deadline? Obviously it is too early to tell at this point, but if the Sharks find themselves out of the playoff hunt, they may be looking to deal him, especially if they think he'll bolt in the summer. <br /><br />

<br /><br />

Give Jim Vandermeer a look in training camp. He is solid defensively, clears the crease, kills penalties, and sticks up for his teammates. He's not flashy, but he knows his role and plays it well. <br /><br />

<br /><br />

Find a legitimate 4th line center.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

No way in hell do I trade Filppula and Smith for Yandle.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Im glad you offered some input. I agree with you that we are missing a top 6 guy/goal scorer. I think we also need a top 2 dman, tho. How can we get these without giving something up? We are trying with Brunner, but who knows if he pans out or not.</p></blockquote>

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Brunner pans out. I agree that our defense needs an upgrade. Honestly, I don't know who is available that we could find at the deadline. Tobias Enstrom had a down year offensively last year. I don't know whether Winnipeg would even be willing to trade him, though. We may not be able acquire a top pairing defenseman this season. We may just have to hope that our current defensemen (Kronwall and White specifically) step their game up. The defense situation is a tough call, no doubt.