Photo
- - - - -

Breaking the bank for Pietrangelo next year?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Wings will keep shoring up D with lesser signings in offseason until Smith and Derkeyser (don't know how to spell yet) bloom into stars. Then we have other prospects that will be coming into their own by that time

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I don't think Dekeyser is Wings property as of yet...I know as of last season he was leaning towards signing with them, but Illitch told him he should go a finish his senior year at Western.  Maybe they have a verbal agreement (we all know how far those go though...) for him to sign after his senior year this spring...my buddy who was dating Dan's sister moved to Florida last June and he hasn't mentioned anything about her or him in a long time.... I really hope he does become Wings property though!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#23 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LeftWinger" data-cid="2338645" data-time="1357690638"><p>
I don't think Dekeyser is Wings property as of yet...I know as of last season he was leaning towards signing with them, but Illitch told him he should go a finish his senior year at Western.  Maybe they have a verbal agreement (we all know how far those go though...) for him to sign after his senior year this spring...my buddy who was dating Dan's sister moved to Florida last June and he hasn't mentioned anything about her or him in a long time.... I really hope he does become Wings property though!</p></blockquote>

He's in his senior year now?

#24 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Ok, don't jump all over me, but I saw a mention of Alex Elder on a likely UFA list. With the buyouts, and extra flexibility from these new partial salary trades, could Kenny land him? 

#25 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ok, don't jump all over me, but I saw a mention of Alex Elder on a likely UFA list. With the buyouts, and extra flexibility from these new partial salary trades, could Kenny land him? 

Ya I think it is possible and with the amount of money the Canucks already have tied up on their D, i think he just might go to free agency.  The swedish connection might also help us out in this case.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#26 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Edler is a complimentary D man on a Stanley cup winning roster that will want #1 D man money

I'm satisfied with having well balanced defenders on all 3 pairings w/o a superstar until our prospects develop. Edler will want too much money and will end up getting it

#27 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

The Blues aren't going to let him go.

There was a push to get him Norris consideration last year and if his upward trend continues, he should get consideration this year.

He's an elite defenseman with Norris potential and is the core of our defense.

I seriously doubt the Blues even let it get to the point where anyone could offer him anything.

The Blues don't spend a ton of money, but they are very smart about money and who they spend it on.  They'll spend the money if they have to in order to keep one of their own...especially one of Petro's caliber. 

And I just realized my signature here is from when the last lockout ended.  I never changed it.  I should probably change it up...although, it applies again.  

Edited by cprice12, 09 January 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

The Blues aren't going to let him go.

There was a push to get him Norris consideration last year and if his upward trend continues, he should get consideration this year.

He's an elite defenseman with Norris potential and is the core of our defense.

I seriously doubt the Blues even let it get to the point where anyone could offer him anything.

The Blues don't spend a ton of money, but they are very smart about money and who they spend it on.  They'll spend the money if they have to in order to keep one of their own...especially one of Petro's caliber. 

And I just realized my signature here is from when the last lockout ended.  I never changed it.  I should probably change it up...although, it applies again.  

No offense towards your organization but like you said your team is not going to spend a lot of money? So could St. Louis afford to pay him 20m the first year and then 8 per for the remaining 6 years?

Yeah I agree with you Pietrangelo is an elite defenseman and an absolute beast, he would look very good in Red & White :-)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,057 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

We're getting Smith full-time. This'll have to do.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

We're getting Smith full-time. This'll have to do.

Smith is already off to a much better first 14 games. ;)

Pietrangelo is a superstar defenseman, great skills, but what's even more impressive instincts at both ends of the ice. He's definitely what the Wings should be looking for, but there is really no way St. Louis is going to let him go.

#31 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Pietrangelo is good, but I'm not sure that two seasons justify making him the highest paid defenseman in the league. To be worth that money he'd have to be a perennial Norris candidate. Plus we'd be giving up 4 first-rounders in compensation. Even if he did become a Norris candidate, it wouldn't necessarily solve all the Wings' potential problems, so any or all of those could be lottery picks.

RFAs just aren't worth targetting.

#32 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Edler is a complimentary D man on a Stanley cup winning roster that will want #1 D man money

I'm satisfied with having well balanced defenders on all 3 pairings w/o a superstar until our prospects develop. Edler will want too much money and will end up getting it

He's 26 and still hasn't reached his full potential yet.  He needs to improve in his own end for sure, but that is certainly not something that can't be done.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#33 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

No offense towards your organization but like you said your team is not going to spend a lot of money? So could St. Louis afford to pay him 20m the first year and then 8 per for the remaining 6 years?

Yeah I agree with you Pietrangelo is an elite defenseman and an absolute beast, he would look very good in Red & White :-)

$20 million the first year??  WTF?  That's almost 1/3 of the salary cap.  Nobody is ever going to make that kind of money under the new CBA.

And that kind of contract isn't even allowed under the new CBA.  Salary variance from year to year can only be 35%...and the lowest salary in a year can be no less than 50% of the highest salary year on that contract.

The Blues are much more likely to spend money on retaining their own players than they are in free agency.  They'll pony up for Petro, but he won't make even close to what you are suggesting.  He might make $5-ish million per on his next contract.  And the Blues don't offer 7 year deals.  They might offer him 5 years.  He's still pretty young and might have to wait for his next contract for the massive contract, if he deserves it that is.

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I don't understand what you mean here. Edler is a free defenseman?

#35 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crymson" data-cid="2338967" data-time="1357801438"><p>
 <br />
I don't understand what you mean here. Edler is a free defenseman?</p></blockquote>

Saying if you were to build a Stanley cup winning roster than Edler wouldn't be your best defenseman on your team

#36 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

$20 million the first year??  WTF?  That's almost 1/3 of the salary cap.  Nobody is ever going to make that kind of money under the new CBA.

And that kind of contract isn't even allowed under the new CBA.  Salary variance from year to year can only be 35%...and the lowest salary in a year can be no less than 50% of the highest salary year on that contract.

The Blues are much more likely to spend money on retaining their own players than they are in free agency.  They'll pony up for Petro, but he won't make even close to what you are suggesting.  He might make $5-ish million per on his next contract.  And the Blues don't offer 7 year deals.  They might offer him 5 years.  He's still pretty young and might have to wait for his next contract for the massive contract, if he deserves it that is.

Signing bonuses are not forbidden, so if your team can't lock him up before that he will be RFA and therefore offersheets might come *cough* Flyers *cough*

20m the first year means 12m signing bonus + 8m annual, signing bonus doesn't count against the salary and so it shouldn't.

Given the poor elite defenseman UFA classes I think a lot of guys will be surprised on how much Pietrangelo is going to make. Maybe 8m was a bit high but anything south of at least 6,5 would really surprise me, this guy is a stud, someone yu can build a team around.

Pietrangelo is good, but I'm not sure that two seasons justify making him the highest paid defenseman in the league. To be worth that money he'd have to be a perennial Norris candidate. Plus we'd be giving up 4 first-rounders in compensation. Even if he did become a Norris candidate, it wouldn't necessarily solve all the Wings' potential problems, so any or all of those could be lottery picks.

RFAs just aren't worth targetting.

That would be shea weber 7,8 + 20m signing bonus. So Pietrangelo would be in the same ballpark and skillwise he already is plus he's younger. For sure it would be a big price to pay and only be doable if the management thinks we don't need a rebuild if we are going to rebuild and let's be honest here, it has to happen in the near future the 4 st rounders would probably top 10 picks every time.

There are some nice prospects like Jones in the upcoming draft so if we miss the playoffs - which is likely - it would be a nice kickstart add to that Pietrangelo and boom first pairing for years to come :-)

Edited by frankgrimes, 10 January 2013 - 05:02 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

I would more than shocked if the Blues did not re-sign him long time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I absolutely salivate at the thought of a top pairing of Kronwall and Pietrangelo, seeing as those 2 are basically my favorite Dmen in the NHL but the likelihood of the Wings getting him is not good. If Nashville can shell out the money for Weber, then St. Louis should be able to keep Pietrangelo. And with the players on the Blues right now like Oshie and Shattenkirk and a good goalie in Halak, the Blues fanbase will only get larger and they will start making more money to be able to afford big players. And if the Yotes can sign....well, anyone, then every other team should feel safe spending to the cap and collect revenue sharing.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#39 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Signing bonuses are not forbidden, so if your team can't lock him up before that he will be RFA and therefore offersheets might come *cough* Flyers *cough*

20m the first year means 12m signing bonus + 8m annual, signing bonus doesn't count against the salary and so it shouldn't.

Given the poor elite defenseman UFA classes I think a lot of guys will be surprised on how much Pietrangelo is going to make. Maybe 8m was a bit high but anything south of at least 6,5 would really surprise me, this guy is a stud, someone yu can build a team around.

That would be shea weber 7,8 + 20m signing bonus. So Pietrangelo would be in the same ballpark and skillwise he already is plus he's younger. For sure it would be a big price to pay and only be doable if the management thinks we don't need a rebuild if we are going to rebuild and let's be honest here, it has to happen in the near future the 4 st rounders would probably top 10 picks every time.

There are some nice prospects like Jones in the upcoming draft so if we miss the playoffs - which is likely - it would be a nice kickstart add to that Pietrangelo and boom first pairing for years to come :-)

Forgot about signing bonuses.  That makes more sense.  But $8 million is still way too high for Petro and where he is in his career.

His next contract will be around the $5.5 million per year - 5 year range...assuming he continues to impress this year...and the Blues will resign him.  

#40 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Sorry, that's incorrect. Signing bonuses do count as salary, it just gets paid up front. Weber will make $14M each of his first few years, $13M of that is signing bonus, so it's really only $1M in salary. Technically, it's higher than anyone will be able to get next year, but when I said "highest paid" I was referring to the cap hit.