• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

frankgrimes

Breaking the bank for Pietrangelo next year?

Rate this topic

Edler is a complimentary D man on a Stanley cup winning roster that will want #1 D man money

I'm satisfied with having well balanced defenders on all 3 pairings w/o a superstar until our prospects develop. Edler will want too much money and will end up getting it

The Blues aren't going to let him go.

There was a push to get him Norris consideration last year and if his upward trend continues, he should get consideration this year.

He's an elite defenseman with Norris potential and is the core of our defense.

I seriously doubt the Blues even let it get to the point where anyone could offer him anything.

The Blues don't spend a ton of money, but they are very smart about money and who they spend it on. They'll spend the money if they have to in order to keep one of their own...especially one of Petro's caliber.

And I just realized my signature here is from when the last lockout ended. I never changed it. I should probably change it up...although, it applies again.

Edited by cprice12

The Blues aren't going to let him go.

There was a push to get him Norris consideration last year and if his upward trend continues, he should get consideration this year.

He's an elite defenseman with Norris potential and is the core of our defense.

I seriously doubt the Blues even let it get to the point where anyone could offer him anything.

The Blues don't spend a ton of money, but they are very smart about money and who they spend it on. They'll spend the money if they have to in order to keep one of their own...especially one of Petro's caliber.

And I just realized my signature here is from when the last lockout ended. I never changed it. I should probably change it up...although, it applies again.

No offense towards your organization but like you said your team is not going to spend a lot of money? So could St. Louis afford to pay him 20m the first year and then 8 per for the remaining 6 years?

Yeah I agree with you Pietrangelo is an elite defenseman and an absolute beast, he would look very good in Red & White :-)

We're getting Smith full-time. This'll have to do.

Smith is already off to a much better first 14 games. ;)

Pietrangelo is a superstar defenseman, great skills, but what's even more impressive instincts at both ends of the ice. He's definitely what the Wings should be looking for, but there is really no way St. Louis is going to let him go.

Pietrangelo is good, but I'm not sure that two seasons justify making him the highest paid defenseman in the league. To be worth that money he'd have to be a perennial Norris candidate. Plus we'd be giving up 4 first-rounders in compensation. Even if he did become a Norris candidate, it wouldn't necessarily solve all the Wings' potential problems, so any or all of those could be lottery picks.

RFAs just aren't worth targetting.

Edler is a complimentary D man on a Stanley cup winning roster that will want #1 D man money

I'm satisfied with having well balanced defenders on all 3 pairings w/o a superstar until our prospects develop. Edler will want too much money and will end up getting it

He's 26 and still hasn't reached his full potential yet. He needs to improve in his own end for sure, but that is certainly not something that can't be done.

No offense towards your organization but like you said your team is not going to spend a lot of money? So could St. Louis afford to pay him 20m the first year and then 8 per for the remaining 6 years?

Yeah I agree with you Pietrangelo is an elite defenseman and an absolute beast, he would look very good in Red & White :-)

$20 million the first year?? WTF? That's almost 1/3 of the salary cap. Nobody is ever going to make that kind of money under the new CBA.

And that kind of contract isn't even allowed under the new CBA. Salary variance from year to year can only be 35%...and the lowest salary in a year can be no less than 50% of the highest salary year on that contract.

The Blues are much more likely to spend money on retaining their own players than they are in free agency. They'll pony up for Petro, but he won't make even close to what you are suggesting. He might make $5-ish million per on his next contract. And the Blues don't offer 7 year deals. They might offer him 5 years. He's still pretty young and might have to wait for his next contract for the massive contract, if he deserves it that is.

Guest Crymson

I don't understand what you mean here. Edler is a free defenseman?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crymson" data-cid="2338967" data-time="1357801438"><p>
<br />
I don't understand what you mean here. Edler is a free defenseman?</p></blockquote>

Saying if you were to build a Stanley cup winning roster than Edler wouldn't be your best defenseman on your team

$20 million the first year?? WTF? That's almost 1/3 of the salary cap. Nobody is ever going to make that kind of money under the new CBA.

And that kind of contract isn't even allowed under the new CBA. Salary variance from year to year can only be 35%...and the lowest salary in a year can be no less than 50% of the highest salary year on that contract.

The Blues are much more likely to spend money on retaining their own players than they are in free agency. They'll pony up for Petro, but he won't make even close to what you are suggesting. He might make $5-ish million per on his next contract. And the Blues don't offer 7 year deals. They might offer him 5 years. He's still pretty young and might have to wait for his next contract for the massive contract, if he deserves it that is.

Signing bonuses are not forbidden, so if your team can't lock him up before that he will be RFA and therefore offersheets might come *cough* Flyers *cough*

20m the first year means 12m signing bonus + 8m annual, signing bonus doesn't count against the salary and so it shouldn't.

Given the poor elite defenseman UFA classes I think a lot of guys will be surprised on how much Pietrangelo is going to make. Maybe 8m was a bit high but anything south of at least 6,5 would really surprise me, this guy is a stud, someone yu can build a team around.

Pietrangelo is good, but I'm not sure that two seasons justify making him the highest paid defenseman in the league. To be worth that money he'd have to be a perennial Norris candidate. Plus we'd be giving up 4 first-rounders in compensation. Even if he did become a Norris candidate, it wouldn't necessarily solve all the Wings' potential problems, so any or all of those could be lottery picks.

RFAs just aren't worth targetting.

That would be shea weber 7,8 + 20m signing bonus. So Pietrangelo would be in the same ballpark and skillwise he already is plus he's younger. For sure it would be a big price to pay and only be doable if the management thinks we don't need a rebuild if we are going to rebuild and let's be honest here, it has to happen in the near future the 4 st rounders would probably top 10 picks every time.

There are some nice prospects like Jones in the upcoming draft so if we miss the playoffs - which is likely - it would be a nice kickstart add to that Pietrangelo and boom first pairing for years to come :-)

Edited by frankgrimes

I absolutely salivate at the thought of a top pairing of Kronwall and Pietrangelo, seeing as those 2 are basically my favorite Dmen in the NHL but the likelihood of the Wings getting him is not good. If Nashville can shell out the money for Weber, then St. Louis should be able to keep Pietrangelo. And with the players on the Blues right now like Oshie and Shattenkirk and a good goalie in Halak, the Blues fanbase will only get larger and they will start making more money to be able to afford big players. And if the Yotes can sign....well, anyone, then every other team should feel safe spending to the cap and collect revenue sharing.

Signing bonuses are not forbidden, so if your team can't lock him up before that he will be RFA and therefore offersheets might come *cough* Flyers *cough*

20m the first year means 12m signing bonus + 8m annual, signing bonus doesn't count against the salary and so it shouldn't.

Given the poor elite defenseman UFA classes I think a lot of guys will be surprised on how much Pietrangelo is going to make. Maybe 8m was a bit high but anything south of at least 6,5 would really surprise me, this guy is a stud, someone yu can build a team around.

That would be shea weber 7,8 + 20m signing bonus. So Pietrangelo would be in the same ballpark and skillwise he already is plus he's younger. For sure it would be a big price to pay and only be doable if the management thinks we don't need a rebuild if we are going to rebuild and let's be honest here, it has to happen in the near future the 4 st rounders would probably top 10 picks every time.

There are some nice prospects like Jones in the upcoming draft so if we miss the playoffs - which is likely - it would be a nice kickstart add to that Pietrangelo and boom first pairing for years to come :-)

Forgot about signing bonuses. That makes more sense. But $8 million is still way too high for Petro and where he is in his career.

His next contract will be around the $5.5 million per year - 5 year range...assuming he continues to impress this year...and the Blues will resign him.

Sorry, that's incorrect. Signing bonuses do count as salary, it just gets paid up front. Weber will make $14M each of his first few years, $13M of that is signing bonus, so it's really only $1M in salary. Technically, it's higher than anyone will be able to get next year, but when I said "highest paid" I was referring to the cap hit.

Sorry, that's incorrect. Signing bonuses do count as salary, it just gets paid up front. Weber will make $14M each of his first few years, $13M of that is signing bonus, so it's really only $1M in salary. Technically, it's higher than anyone will be able to get next year, but when I said "highest paid" I was referring to the cap hit.

Thanks for the input forgot about that, you are right. I think Weber is making the most, closely followed by Crosby but anyways I absolutely hate the new cap its a joke.