• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

No way in hell they give us free center ice, although it had better be half price for a shortened season.  Either way i will pay for it because i'm a hardcore fan and it's the only way i get to see all the Wings games.

I'm in the same boat my friend.

I've missed out on half the season...I'll be honest - unlike many I won't show my displeasure by not watching games, or not buying merchandise...I've been a fan of the game of hockey, and the Detroit Red Wings for many years...Like the child who draws on the wall with crayons - you're frustrated, but you  get over it, and embrace/cherish them...I will do the same with the NHL.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

it's not the die hard fans which they need to address now, as those are pretty much lock for the teams with solid fanbase.

it's about attracting non-regular hockey fans outside of big hockey center. so, yes, free or cheaper center ice might do it, but don't expect it in Motown, NY or PA, and most certainly north of US borders. FL, TN, OH, AZ on the other hand... and yes, that would, as usual, be the money of the owners in traditional hockey states/provinces... those who orchestrated lockout...

#23 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm in the same boat my friend.

I've missed out on half the season...I'll be honest - unlike many I won't show my displeasure by not watching games, or not buying merchandise...I've been a fan of the game of hockey, and the Detroit Red Wings for many years...Like the child who draws on the wall with crayons - you're frustrated, but you  get over it, and embrace/cherish them...I will do the same with the NHL.

I know, I feel like many others that they should pay for putting us through all this crap again, but I've missed it so much, there's just no way I could boycott.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#24 LGATL

LGATL

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I will be boycotting live games for at least 2 years and will not buy NHL merchandise either.

Same here on the boycott of games and merchandise.   Also I have been a Center Ice subscriber for at least 5 years and have cancelled it.  Not buying it again for at least two years.      Will watch the games on free TV but that's it.    I love the game and sport but I am pissed at the NHL and I'm letting them know with my wallet.

#25 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm trying to figure out what I will do here in the Denver area.  My family just dropped its DirecTV service because no one in the house was watching any tv, and I now have an antenna in my attic which provides 20 local HD channels for free.  However, the Avalanche/Nuggets NBA games are only shown on cable/satellite so I have no broadcast avenue at the moment.  I will probably look into the NHL GameCenter Live option, and even then only if it is offered at a discount for the shortened season.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

226c74204ee1b18adce3b12097cd.jpg

Remember: "20% off" means you're still paying 80%.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I will be boycotting live games for at least 2 years and will not buy NHL merchandise either.

I agree, it does kinda suck that I won't be getting my Tootoo jersey this year though.  :glare:

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#28 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I hope Ilitch does something like this.  Not much, but it's a start.

iTHyy.jpg

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#29 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Just get NHL back on TV now. No since in holding anger and hate in my heart for something I have no control over. Go Wings!!

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

1. Free Center Ice
2. Remove the instigator rule

These are demands, not requests. Pretty simple. Neither of them will happen, so I'll just go ahead and say right now that the NHL won't get another penny from my pocket. No merchandise, no Center Ice, no tickets.

This is coming from someone who has bought Center Ice year after year and owns multiple jerseys, countless shirts, hats, and tons of other merchandise (Bobbleheads, banners, you name it).
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ogreslayer" data-cid="2338633" data-time="1357688142"><p>
I'm about "this" close myself to canceling my Center Ice for the season.  Even if I don't, I'm going to be watching far less NHL hockey than I have in the last couple of decades & the only live games I'll consider is when the Wings make the SC Finals in June....hopefully.  I want to be there to see if I can boo Bettman the loudest.</p></blockquote>
They don't care if you buy Center Ice and never watch a game, as long as you're buying their product. Bettman and company don't care how loud you boo them. You're still buying their product. The best and most effective greeting for Bettman when he presents the Cup is an empty arena.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

"Ask not what the NHL can do for you, but what you can do for the NHL"

Gary Bettman

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I hope Ilitch does something like this.  Not much, but it's a start.

iTHyy.jpg

It's a nice gesture by Stillman, but in the end, they're just words.  Talk is cheap.  What are you going to do for me?  

Just win games.  That is the quickest way to get any fans back that may have lost interest.

They won't do free Center Ice.  The NHL doesn't own that...they only take a small portion of the sales...I doubt DirecTV, DishNetwork, etc would be willing to give it away for free.  The NHL has 100% control (or close to it) over GameCenter Live though.  I can see them discounting that heavily, if they do anything.  I doubt they give GameCenter Live away for free, as that would be way too much traffic on their servers.  Everything would crash or slow to a crawl during big games.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,951 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

NHL Center Ice should be free for this season. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

two things

1. free center ice or GET BENT

2. lock "us" out in 5 - 8 years again after all the NHL(PA) are doing everything for the fans right?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#36 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,951 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

It's a nice gesture by Stillman, but in the end, they're just words.  Talk is cheap.  What are you going to do for me?  

Just win games.  That is the quickest way to get any fans back that may have lost interest.

They won't do free Center Ice.  The NHL doesn't own that...they only take a small portion of the sales...I doubt DirecTV, DishNetwork, etc would be willing to give it away for free.  The NHL has 100% control (or close to it) over GameCenter Live though.  I can see them discounting that heavily, if they do anything.  I doubt they give GameCenter Live away for free, as that would be way too much traffic on their servers.  Everything would crash or slow to a crawl during big games.

I subscribe to both Gamecenter Live and the NHL Vault, I'd love to see those be discounted. 

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#37 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

it's not the die hard fans which they need to address now, as those are pretty much lock for the teams with solid fanbase.

it's about attracting non-regular hockey fans outside of big hockey center. so, yes, free or cheaper center ice might do it, but don't expect it in Motown, NY or PA, and most certainly north of US borders. FL, TN, OH, AZ on the other hand... and yes, that would, as usual, be the money of the owners in traditional hockey states/provinces... those who orchestrated lockout...

Center ice is controlled by a company called indemand and then handed out to all the major tv providers. It has nothing to do with what city you live in

#38 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,951 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

How about beer prices cut in half so that the price for one 24 oz brew costs slightly less than the cost of an average six pack? 

#39 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Strap Pierre Maguire.to a rocket and fire him to the moon.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#40 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'm not thinking about how to get them back this time. However, if Bettman locks us out again in 10 years I will punish him personally. As soon as he says the word, "LOCKOUT!", I will send him pictures of me naked. He will be blinded and unable to read the fine print, driven mad and unable to think, and willing to do anything to stop the pics from coming.