• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsFan19

Now What Can the NHL Do For You, the Fans

Rate this topic

1. Free Center Ice

2. Remove the instigator rule

These are demands, not requests. Pretty simple. Neither of them will happen, so I'll just go ahead and say right now that the NHL won't get another penny from my pocket. No merchandise, no Center Ice, no tickets.

This is coming from someone who has bought Center Ice year after year and owns multiple jerseys, countless shirts, hats, and tons of other merchandise (Bobbleheads, banners, you name it).

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ogreslayer" data-cid="2338633" data-time="1357688142"><p>

I'm about "this" close myself to canceling my Center Ice for the season. Even if I don't, I'm going to be watching far less NHL hockey than I have in the last couple of decades & the only live games I'll consider is when the Wings make the SC Finals in June....hopefully. I want to be there to see if I can boo Bettman the loudest.</p></blockquote>

They don't care if you buy Center Ice and never watch a game, as long as you're buying their product. Bettman and company don't care how loud you boo them. You're still buying their product. The best and most effective greeting for Bettman when he presents the Cup is an empty arena.

I hope Ilitch does something like this. Not much, but it's a start.

iTHyy.jpg

It's a nice gesture by Stillman, but in the end, they're just words. Talk is cheap. What are you going to do for me?

Just win games. That is the quickest way to get any fans back that may have lost interest.

They won't do free Center Ice. The NHL doesn't own that...they only take a small portion of the sales...I doubt DirecTV, DishNetwork, etc would be willing to give it away for free. The NHL has 100% control (or close to it) over GameCenter Live though. I can see them discounting that heavily, if they do anything. I doubt they give GameCenter Live away for free, as that would be way too much traffic on their servers. Everything would crash or slow to a crawl during big games.

It's a nice gesture by Stillman, but in the end, they're just words. Talk is cheap. What are you going to do for me?

Just win games. That is the quickest way to get any fans back that may have lost interest.

They won't do free Center Ice. The NHL doesn't own that...they only take a small portion of the sales...I doubt DirecTV, DishNetwork, etc would be willing to give it away for free. The NHL has 100% control (or close to it) over GameCenter Live though. I can see them discounting that heavily, if they do anything. I doubt they give GameCenter Live away for free, as that would be way too much traffic on their servers. Everything would crash or slow to a crawl during big games.

I subscribe to both Gamecenter Live and the NHL Vault, I'd love to see those be discounted.

it's not the die hard fans which they need to address now, as those are pretty much lock for the teams with solid fanbase.

it's about attracting non-regular hockey fans outside of big hockey center. so, yes, free or cheaper center ice might do it, but don't expect it in Motown, NY or PA, and most certainly north of US borders. FL, TN, OH, AZ on the other hand... and yes, that would, as usual, be the money of the owners in traditional hockey states/provinces... those who orchestrated lockout...

Center ice is controlled by a company called indemand and then handed out to all the major tv providers. It has nothing to do with what city you live in

I'm not thinking about how to get them back this time. However, if Bettman locks us out again in 10 years I will punish him personally. As soon as he says the word, "LOCKOUT!", I will send him pictures of me naked. He will be blinded and unable to read the fine print, driven mad and unable to think, and willing to do anything to stop the pics from coming.

How about beer prices cut in half so that the price for one 24 oz brew costs slightly less than the cost of an average six pack?

oh dear god then you would have more dunken fools wearing ACDC shirts at the Nashville games trying to climb over the glass to fight the players.....That might not be a good idea. hahahahahah

I have paid for many products the NHL offers in the past 20 years, but for at least the next two the NHL will not see a penny of mine. I will not pay for any games, no highlights, no jerseys, no t-shirts, no sweat shirts, no calendars, no baby clothes, no coffee mugs, no wall clocks, no $100+ tickets to see Wings in Boston, no hats, no video games, none nada zip zilch zero. ***

Call it me locking them out of my checking account!

When I see that what the players had offered the owners in early Dec is nearly exactly what they agreed to overall, I am starting to believe the rumblings that this was the date the NHL/Owners were holding out for all along.

If you remember the early Dec offer from the players was the "this is the hill we will die on" press conference that had the Owners and Bettman and Daly all bent out of shape.

Shawn Thornton on a local sports radio show said the only real difference between this deal and the Dec offer the players gave them was the 7yr new team contract length (the players wanted all contracts maxed at 8yrs), and the Salary cap (Players wanted ~65m owners wanted ~60m).

They were only a small distance a part from each other and the owners, well their representation, came out with a ton of rhetoric about how far a part they were.

Thornton also mentioned the rumbling of players saying that the owners made up the money they were looking for the players to sacrifice by missing half of the season's payroll.

I am not sure about that last point, because I am not sure how much each team lost in revenue not having games and selling merch. But sounds fishy when you think about the fact it took a month to come to this agreement.

One in which the players still gave in, the owners come out smelling like roses and the fans get treated like s***, and no one cares about the Beer or T-shirt vendor who lost ~20 shifts at the arena (excluding pre season).

Millionaires (players and owners) acting like spoiled little babies, that is where I draw the line.

The last lockout I agreed with somewhat, changes needed to be made, the salary cap (hate it as I may) was vital in the survival of the league.

This time, they didn't even deal with the important issues; no realignment, Winnipeg will still be in the south east, head shots will still be as lethal, Pho is still league property, the league (as in the sport not the NHL the group) did not improve, it stayed the same, nearly exactly the same.

These cap circumventing contracts were not as big an issue as a salary cap or even as big as the owners/NHL made it out to be, just ask NYI how many 13 year deals they wanted to give out again. Teams (owners have to agree to deals) were handing out 10+ year deals right up until the lockout, if they were such an issue why not stop handing out long term deals at the end of last season? (Looking at you Leopold and Wild!!!!!!)

Why, because the owners and their orgs are actually the perpetrators in this mess. If the only thing the hypocrites were offering was 5 year deals do you think the players would have had a strike? No, they would have signed the 5yr deal that they saw best.

This is like getting pissed off at the dog because I thought keeping dinner in his dish was a good place to keep it safe. What is the dog supposed to do, go "Oh no, this is too much for me, and way too good. Dad, I think you made a mistake here, I would like my kibble 'n bits back please!". NO the dog eats all the food and I am the asshat, not the dog!

The owners and their GMs created this, and expect the players to help clean up their mess.

This was a bunch of rich people arguing over who gets a bigger $lice of the pie, all while the economy continues to s*** bricks all over a large portion of this country.

Bad timing, worse results!

There is nothing the league can do for me in the next 2 years to spend a dime on them, nothing.

I will watch whatever free product they put in front of me, but I will not throw any more of my money into the trashcan that is their undeserving, unappreciative wallets!

*** someone needs to make a photoshop of the priceless ads, but have it be "no Jersey sales -5 mil, no ticket sales - 10m, pissing of die hard fans of all kinds, worhtless!"