• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings4Life19

Will anyone score 50 this year?

Rate this topic

Before Bettman became commissioner goalie equipment size was strictly enforced, he allowed the equipment to get bigger and obstruction to restrict talent and skill giving weaker teams a better chance of winning games.

He was successful instantly. The Panthers would never have made it to the SCF in their second year of existence without the changes to the game implemented by Bettman.

I am guessing that you are young toby91 or have only become a fan of the hockey after Bettman became commissioner

Equipment size has always been strictly enforced. Changes are made through the years (Likely under the guise of better safety) to make it bigger, or stonger or faster and the rules have to be changed to accomodate things like this. Its no different than composite sticks making players shoot harder or skates making people skate faster. A composite stick would have been illegal in 1985. Look at the NFL. They change rules all the time because they understand that you have to adapt as players and equipment change.

I can understand you blaming the league as a whole (Simply because they run the show) but Bettman has enough blame that he doesnt need this as well.

I should also also be slapped for helping hi-jack this thread, I know better. I would be very impressed if someone scored 50 in 48 games.

I think with the possibility of rusty goalies and some rusty defensive players (the ones who didn't go overseas) that 50 in 48 has a chance at happening.

Only if you mean they will get most of those goals in a week? With a week training camp they may still be rusty, but after being back at it for about 3-4 games there is no excuses for being "rusty"

Guest Johnz96
Equipment size has always been strictly enforced. Changes are made through the years (Likely under the guise of better safety) to make it bigger, or stonger or faster and the rules have to be changed to accomodate things like this. Its no different than composite sticks making players shoot harder or skates making people skate faster. A composite stick would have been illegal in 1985. Look at the NFL. They change rules all the time because they understand that you have to adapt as players and equipment change.

I can understand you blaming the league as a whole (Simply because they run the show) but Bettman has enough blame that he doesnt need this as well.

I should also also be slapped for helping hi-jack this thread, I know better. I would be very impressed if someone scored 50 in 48 games.

The goalie equipment is as big as it is to block out more net. It could be made as small as it was before Bettman and still be just as protective as it is today.

Unless changes are made to the goalie equipment or the nets to compensate for the bigger goalie equipment, no one will ever score 50 in 50 again and no major offensive records will ever be broken.

http://ingoalmag.com/gear/new-goal-equipment-regulations-a-pros-perspective/

"Gone are the days when a goalie could simply rely on instincts to get by. With that comes the need for bigger equipment, not just for protection, but for blocking area."

Edited by Johnz96

The goalie equipment is as big as it is to block out more net. It could be made as small as it was before Bettman and still be just as protective as it is today.

Unless changes are made to the goalie equipment or the nets to compensate for the bigger goalie equipment, no one will ever score 50 in 50 again and no major offensive records will ever be broken.

http://ingoalmag.com/gear/new-goal-equipment-regulations-a-pros-perspective/

"Gone are the days when a goalie could simply rely on instincts to get by. With that comes the need for bigger equipment, not just for protection, but for blocking area."

I think youre missing my point. I dont think anyone is denying goalie equipment has gotten bigger or that its too big. I agree on both fronts.

I'm saying equipment evolves and that it was getting bigger before Bettman became commish. My buddy was a goalie back in the late 80's and I put over 30 pucks in his trapper one time. I would guess you wouldnt get half of that in Terry Sawchuck's. This was pre-Bettman.

Gone are the days of a Mike Bossy like slapshot beating a goalie as he flies down the right wing and yes until more changes are made its very likely no one will score 50 in 48.

Guest Johnz96
I think youre missing my point. I dont think anyone is denying goalie equipment has gotten bigger or that its too big. I agree on both fronts.

I'm saying equipment evolves and that it was getting bigger before Bettman became commish. My buddy was a goalie back in the late 80's and I put over 30 pucks in his trapper one time. I would guess you wouldnt get half of that in Terry Sawchuck's. This was pre-Bettman.

Gone are the days of a Mike Bossy like slapshot beating a goalie as he flies down the right wing and yes until more changes are made its very likely no one will score 50 in 48.

It is much more likely that no one will reach 50 points than it is that someone will score 50 goals this year.

Some people actually claim that goalie equipment is smaller now than before Bettman became commissioner because he reduced the size of goalie equipment. Some people claim that it is bigger because the goalies need more protection now (harder shots) and they do but they can make it just as protective as it is now without making bigger than it was then (before Bettman). How is a glove that can fit 50 pucks and extends way beyond the finger tips any more protective than one that can fit half as many or even just 2 or 3 and only reaches a little farther than the finger tips? I wear a 20 lb workout vest that you can't even notice under a hockey sweater and you wouldn't gfeel a puck at all.

All the rules (trapezoid being a particularly funny one) designed to increase offense was just a subterfuge when in fact, decreasing offense was their goal.

If it was truly their goal to increase offense, the solution is simple

The fact of the matter is goalie equipment is much bigger now to restrict talent and skill for the sake of parity to give weaker teams a better chance of winning hockey games making them more marketable in their markets. That is also why all the obstruction was allowed before the Cap was finally instituted.

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Johnz96
I think Stamkos could possibly score 40 in 48-50, but no way anyone gets 50.

I'll wager no one scores 40 goals

Guest Johnz96
40 goals would equate to 68 in a full season, so I think that's a pretty safe wager. The Rocket Richard Trophy's probably going to wind up with whoever can reach 30 goals this season.

Law of averages makes it a little more likely that someone will score 40 in 48 than 68 in 82. Just like it a little more likely that someone will score 9 in the first 10 than it is some one will score 43 in the entire 48.

So any takers? What do you wanna wager for?

It's also worth thinking about how teams will be fighting much harder for a win with only 40 something games than if the entire season was played out. It's not every year that 30 teams are tied for first (and last) place in mid January. Goals will be harder to come by. If anyone even breaks 30 I'll be impressed.