• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Part of Bettman's parity scheme. Restrict talent and skill with obstruction and bigger goalie equipment(which remains much bigger than before he became commissioner) and obstruction to give weaker teams a better chance of winning.
The media and fans kept complaining that hockey is less entertaining. Where have all the goals gone. Bettman would make it look like he was addressing the problem by claiming that the league will crack down on obstruction every subsequent year which they would give up oin early in the season claimimng it is impossible to police. All the while holding hockey hostage until he finally got the Cap to help with parity.

Player stats should come with an asterisk denoting seasons played while Bettman was commissioner (some players have lost 150 games due to lockouts) and had to play their careers while skill and talent was being artificially restricted.

Yeahhhh... Bettman told coaches to come up with the trap.  So Bettman innovated defensive hockey schemes with his prolific knowedge as a former NBA executive with no real background in hockey.

Baffling.

Oh, and apparently Bettman should be held responsible for Patty Roy popularizing the butterfly, goaltending equipment companies selling bigger gear and all those dry seasons that hurt farmers.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

He purposely allowed all that obstruction and the goalie equipment to get bigger and bigger to restrict talent and skill.

We weren't talking about the trap before you put your 2 cents in but about clutching, grabbing and obstruction.

You're right, I read obstruction and assumed trap...probably shouldn't have.  However, if you watched games in the high scoring 80s, you'd know that obstruction existed then as well and probably to a greater extent than the late 90s.  The biggest difference was style of play (way more wide open, no traps) and smaller goalie pads + less technically sound goaltending.

If you want to blame Bettman for trying to remove the skill from the game by making it harder to score (i.e. bigger goalie pads, etc.).....fine....but this is the first I've heard of anyone arguing Bettman was behind the increase in the size of pads and other equipment, I find that a little hard to believe.

#23 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Unless the early 80's Wayne Gretzky has been reborn. Probably not. Crosby and some others will probably get around 60 points. Maybe.

TBH the more I think about it getting 60 points is even a stretch. Depends on how many regular season games offiicially get scheduled. Real hard to predict at this point...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 08 January 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#24 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

You're right, I read obstruction and assumed trap...probably shouldn't have.  However, if you watched games in the high scoring 80s, you'd know that obstruction existed then as well and probably to a greater extent than the late 90s.  The biggest difference was style of play (way more wide open, no traps) and smaller goalie pads + less technically sound goaltending.

If you want to blame Bettman for trying to remove the skill from the game by making it harder to score (i.e. bigger goalie pads, etc.).....fine....but this is the first I've heard of anyone arguing Bettman was behind the increase in the size of pads and other equipment, I find that a little hard to believe.

Before Bettman became commissioner goalie equipment size was strictly enforced, he allowed the equipment to get bigger and obstruction to restrict talent and skill giving weaker teams a better chance of winning games.

He was successful instantly. The Panthers would never have made it to the SCF in their second year of existence without the changes to the game implemented by Bettman.

I am guessing that you are young toby91 or have only become a fan of the hockey after Bettman became commissioner

#25 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think with the possibility of rusty goalies and some rusty defensive players (the ones who didn't go overseas) that 50 in 48 has a chance at happening. 

Edited by FireCaptain, 08 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#26 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Before Bettman became commissioner goalie equipment size was strictly enforced, he allowed the equipment to get bigger and obstruction to restrict talent and skill giving weaker teams a better chance of winning games.

He was successful instantly. The Panthers would never have made it to the SCF in their second year of existence without the changes to the game implemented by Bettman.

I am guessing that you are young toby91 or have only become a fan of the hockey after Bettman became commissioner

It would be absolutely magical if you could produce some form of evidence to back up your claims.

Unless the early 80's Wayne Gretzky has been reborn. Probably not. Crosby and some others will probably get around 60 points. Maybe.

TBH the more I think about it getting 60 points is even a stretch. Depends on how many regular season games offiicially get scheduled. Real hard to predict at this point...

Crosby has scored 103pts in his last 63 games....which would prorate to 78pts over 48 games.  His ppg pace over the past couple years has far exceeded anyone else, so if he doesn't (i.e. injury concerns, etc.), might be tough for someone else to get to 60pts (that would be at a 1.25ppg pace, which not many guys get to these days).

#27 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Equipment size has always been strictly enforced. Changes are made through the years (Likely under the guise of better safety) to make it bigger, or stonger or faster and the rules have to be changed to accomodate things like this. Its no different than composite sticks making players shoot harder or skates making people skate faster. A composite stick would have been illegal in 1985. Look at the NFL. They change rules all the time because they understand that you have to adapt as players and equipment change.

I can understand you blaming the league as a whole (Simply because they run the show) but Bettman has enough blame that he doesnt need this as well.

I should also also be slapped for helping hi-jack this thread, I know better. I would be very impressed if someone scored 50 in 48 games.

#28 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I think with the possibility of rusty goalies and some rusty defensive players (the ones who didn't go overseas) that 50 in 48 has a chance at happening. 

Only if you mean they will get most of those goals in a week? With a week training camp they may still be rusty, but after being back at it for about 3-4 games there is no excuses for being "rusty"

#29 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Equipment size has always been strictly enforced. Changes are made through the years (Likely under the guise of better safety) to make it bigger, or stonger or faster and the rules have to be changed to accomodate things like this. Its no different than composite sticks making players shoot harder or skates making people skate faster. A composite stick would have been illegal in 1985. Look at the NFL. They change rules all the time because they understand that you have to adapt as players and equipment change.

I can understand you blaming the league as a whole (Simply because they run the show) but Bettman has enough blame that he doesnt need this as well.

I should also also be slapped for helping hi-jack this thread, I know better. I would be very impressed if someone scored 50 in 48 games.

The goalie equipment is as big as it is to block out more net. It could be made as small as it was before Bettman and still be just as protective as it is today.

Unless changes are made to the goalie equipment or the nets to compensate for the bigger goalie equipment, no one will ever score 50 in 50 again and no major offensive records will ever be broken.

http://ingoalmag.com...os-perspective/

"Gone are the days when a goalie could simply rely on instincts to get by. With that comes the need for bigger equipment, not just for protection, but for blocking area."

Edited by Johnz96, 08 January 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#30 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

The goalie equipment is as big as it is to block out more net. It could be made as small as it was before Bettman and still be just as protective as it is today.

Unless changes are made to the goalie equipment or the nets to compensate for the bigger goalie equipment, no one will ever score 50 in 50 again and no major offensive records will ever be broken.

http://ingoalmag.com...os-perspective/

"Gone are the days when a goalie could simply rely on instincts to get by. With that comes the need for bigger equipment, not just for protection, but for blocking area."

I think youre missing my point. I dont think anyone is denying goalie equipment has gotten bigger or that its too big. I agree on both fronts.

I'm saying equipment evolves and that it was getting bigger before Bettman became commish. My buddy was a goalie back in the late 80's and I put over 30 pucks in his trapper one time. I would guess you wouldnt get half of that in Terry Sawchuck's. This was pre-Bettman.

Gone are the days of a Mike Bossy like slapshot beating a goalie as he flies down the right wing and yes until more changes are made its very likely no one will score 50 in 48.

#31 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think youre missing my point. I dont think anyone is denying goalie equipment has gotten bigger or that its too big. I agree on both fronts.

I'm saying equipment evolves and that it was getting bigger before Bettman became commish. My buddy was a goalie back in the late 80's and I put over 30 pucks in his trapper one time. I would guess you wouldnt get half of that in Terry Sawchuck's. This was pre-Bettman.

Gone are the days of a Mike Bossy like slapshot beating a goalie as he flies down the right wing and yes until more changes are made its very likely no one will score 50 in 48.

It is much more likely that no one will reach 50 points than it is that someone will score 50 goals this year.

Some people actually claim that goalie equipment is smaller now than before Bettman became commissioner because he reduced the size of goalie equipment. Some people claim that it is bigger because the goalies need more protection now (harder shots) and they do but they can make it just as protective as it is now without making bigger than it was then (before Bettman). How is a glove that can fit 50 pucks and extends way beyond the finger tips any more protective than one that can fit half as many or even just 2 or 3 and only reaches a little farther than the finger tips? I wear a 20 lb workout vest that you can't even notice under a hockey sweater and you wouldn't gfeel a puck at all.

All the  rules (trapezoid being a particularly funny one) designed to increase offense was just a subterfuge when in fact, decreasing offense was their goal. 

If it was truly their goal to increase offense, the solution is simple

The fact of the matter is goalie equipment is much bigger now to restrict talent and skill for the sake of parity to give weaker teams a better chance of winning hockey games making them more marketable in their markets. That is also why all the obstruction was allowed before the Cap was finally instituted.

Edited by Johnz96, 08 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#32 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Toronto might.

LMFAO!!!

#33 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think Stamkos could possibly score 40 in 48-50, but no way anyone gets 50.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#34 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think Stamkos could possibly score 40 in 48-50, but no way anyone gets 50.

I'll wager no one scores 40 goals

#35 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'll wager no one scores 40 goals

40 goals would equate to 68 in a full season, so I think that's a pretty safe wager. The Rocket Richard Trophy's probably going to wind up with whoever can reach 30 goals this season.

#36 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

40 goals would equate to 68 in a full season, so I think that's a pretty safe wager. The Rocket Richard Trophy's probably going to wind up with whoever can reach 30 goals this season.

Law of averages makes it a little more likely that someone will score 40 in 48 than 68 in 82. Just like it a little more likely that someone will score 9 in the first 10 than it is some one will score 43 in the entire 48.

So any takers? What do you wanna wager for?

#37 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yeah 50 is insane. No one will get 40 either. Even 30 is a lot. I think maybe only 1 or 2 players get 30.

Posted Image

#38 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

In 1994-95 (48 game season), the league leader had 32 goals.

#39 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's also worth thinking about how teams will be fighting much harder for a win with only 40 something games than if the entire season was played out. It's not every year that 30 teams are tied for first (and last) place in mid January. Goals will be harder to come by. If anyone even breaks 30 I'll be impressed.