• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Toronto fires Brian Burke

Rate this topic

I think Nonis is going to be the right choice and he is also is more of a hockeyguy instead of someone using the club for his own agenda. I mean if you are a GM and you are not working on improving your team on an UFA day for two years a new ownership won't like something like this. Wish this would make Dion avaiable but I highly doubt it.

Senior adviser = well the guy is still on contract so we have to pay him anyways, let's make him a SA.

Edited by frankgrimes

I always liked the teams that Burke put together. Vancouver was a solid mix of size and skill, as was Anaheim, as was the 2010 Olympic team. Obviously that didn't happen in Toronto but I have to wonder how much control Burke really had relative to other GMs. I mean, Toronto has a long history of internal power struggles, and resultant s***ty teams. I wouldn't blame too much of that on Burke.

I always liked the teams that Burke put together. Vancouver was a solid mix of size and skill, as was Anaheim, as was the 2010 Olympic team. Obviously that didn't happen in Toronto but I have to wonder how much control Burke really had relative to other GMs. I mean, Toronto has a long history of internal power struggles, and resultant s***ty teams. I wouldn't blame too much of that on Burke.

you mean like Ducks where he inherited very well drafted core (courtesy of Bryan Murray, mastermind behind current good youth at Ottawa) and was gifted Pronger deal? and then dumped all the assets to build a team with one shot which luckily worked out, because his old buddy Colin Campbell put a blind eye on Pronger's "specific physics"?

or Nucks where he had Bobby Lou and Swedish Twins. and still the team sucked a** ?

Burke is overrated but what I most hate about him is how he's media who*e who loves to bath in flashlights. the guy is perfect example of how talking a lot and having buddies builds a reputation of actually being knowledgeable, despite all the evidence to contrary.

Nonis is a good choice for Maple Laughs, unfortunately. he may build something decent in this mess. though, with new draft lottery system building team by pulling Penguins/Hawks (dwell at the #30 for a number of seasons) is no longer warranty of success so he might need a couple of years to really develop some decent core...

frankly, few things make me laugh as much as seeing Burke fail. can't stand this guy. hope he doesn't replace Bettman. the later might not "know the finer aspects of hockey" but is at least decent at diplomacy and knows not to stick with the same circle of old buddies... Burke and his hard nosed pals could be a disaster for the league...

He screwed up with his very first try at a GM in Toronto. Kessel for two first round draft picks (Seguin, Hamilton). Burke being fired is not a surprise up here in Toronto, however the timing is what people are confused about. Rogers and Bell now own majority of the Maple Leafs, they are two owners that don't fool around and want results. See the Toronto Blue Jays this off season.

Guest Crymson

Burke added only the Sedins and Kesler to Vancouver, and he wasn't around long enough to see them benefit from that. In Anaheim, he inherited a very good team and added to it a gift-wrapped Pronger and a gift-wrapped Niedermayer. He then screwed up the team in the next season by adding an aged Schneider and an overpaid Bertuzzi (whom he bought out the very next offseason) and dumping Andy McDonald to clear space for an out-of-shape Scott Niedermayer to return.

I'm sure Burke had plenty of control in Toronto. He was, after all, supposed to be the team's savior, and he was paid accordingly. More, I doubt he would have taken the job had it entailed brooking interference of any significant kind. The fact that he did so poorly was almost certainly his fault alone. This was the first time he'd taken over a team in full rebuild mode, and he did an awful job of it. It was clear from his groveling apology speech last year that he knew he was on the verge of being fired.

Agree with both posts above...

What many here forget is that the Maple Leafs squad he left today is considerably "better" than the one he acquired from JFJ.

Rogers/Bell aren't exactly fond of Burke's way of doing things - they prefer a more "corporate" type running the show.

Unlike the Blue Jays with no salary cap - the Leafs cannot buy who they want...

From what I've read - many are surprised at his release - even the TSN crew is scratching their heads over this one.

Agree with both posts above...

What many here forget is that the Maple Leafs squad he left today is considerably "better" than the one he acquired from JFJ.

Rogers/Bell aren't exactly fond of Burke's way of doing things - they prefer a more "corporate" type running the show.

Unlike the Blue Jays with no salary cap - the Leafs cannot buy who they want...

From what I've read - many are surprised at his release - even the TSN crew is scratching their heads over this one.

Jays didn't buy anyone ? They traded with Miami and Mets. What's to say the Leafs can't do the same to get top talent there, they have some pretty good young guys ? Also, cap space isn't an issue considering they are 12 million under and can make trades. I hate the leafs alot, however Rogers and Bell don't fool around like MLSE and the teachers union did.

If you talk to Leaf fans, you know this is not a shocker. People at work today were saying it should have been done 3 years ago and didn't really care much other than wanting to know the replacement.

Edited by darkmanx

take this as you will, but i have a friend who has some "in's" in the Leafs organization and he told me this summer that Burke had an "inappropriate conduct with a young women" and that the leafs were probably gonna let him go. I actually tweeted at Dreger on Aug 24 tellin him that Burke would get let go before the season starts. Granted he gets thousands of those kind of tweets i'm sure, but still, I'd say the info I received holds some merit.

From Toronto Star:

“The general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs should speak for hockey,” Peddie said. “And when Brian would speak at league meetings, honest to God, people were quiet. He’d take on owners, general managers. The man was listened to. And I thought, ‘That’s the person we need.’ Is Brian bombastic? A little black and white? A little profane? Yes. But I had no problems with that. . . . It worked for me and the previous owners.”
“There were times I did suggest that (Burke tone it down),” Peddie said.

take this as you will, but i have a friend who has some "in's" in the Leafs organization and he told me this summer that Burke had an "inappropriate conduct with a young women" and that the leafs were probably gonna let him go. I actually tweeted at Dreger on Aug 24 tellin him that Burke would get let go before the season starts. Granted he gets thousands of those kind of tweets i'm sure, but still, I'd say the info I received holds some merit.

As I'm sure everyone in the Leaf's organization cheats on everyone. You really think that was the cause? Not calling you a liar or anything. But still. Happens in all pro sports including the box office. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke has had multiple affairs with women doesn't hide the fact he's an average GM. Yes average hockey GM IMO. Not great not bad.

As I'm sure everyone in the Leaf's organization cheats on everyone. You really think that was the cause? Not calling you a liar or anything. But still. Happens in all pro sports including the box office. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke has had multiple affairs with women doesn't hide the fact he's an average GM. Yes average hockey GM IMO. Not great not bad.

True, coulda just been the tipping point to letting him go

He screwed up with his very first try at a GM in Toronto. Kessel for two first round draft picks (Seguin, Hamilton). Burke being fired is not a surprise up here in Toronto, however the timing is what people are confused about. Rogers and Bell now own majority of the Maple Leafs, they are two owners that don't fool around and want results. See the Toronto Blue Jays this off season.

Right, he screwed the organization right away with that horrible deal for Kessel. And it gets even worse as time goes on. And to think there's a large group of fans and media in Toronto that defended that deal, and still do. My question is, with Hall and Seguin available in the upcoming draft, wouldn't you do anything in your power to get one of them to build your team around?

Any other city, Burke would have been fired after 2 years, if he wasn't boooed out of town by the fans before that. Only in Toronto he'd last 4 years. Toronto likes to self proclaim themselves as the meccha of hockey, and that they have the toughest media and fans in the NHL. Far from it. Toronto's media and fans have to be one of the easiest, passive, and uneducated to deal with. The only thing they're #1 in is being annoying.

I seem to be more upset with the Leafs organization then actual Leaf fans are.

TSN yesterday had a list of his record with the Leafs and basically save for their GF the franchise has been in the 25 - 30th ballpark under him.

He may not be a bad GM but he is just too focused and non hockey related stuff, he wasn't there when the team needed him the most for two years in a row. Like I said I think using a franchise for your political agenda is not the way to do it and especially not with some gigantic suits namely Rogers and Bell coming in.

I don't know much about Nonis but thought he "failed" in Vancouver, so the pressure on him is going to be enormous now.

As for him being the next commissioner I highly doubt it, Stevie Y would e the obvious choice for that position.

commish has to be a diplomat who manages to get all the 30 GMs who seldom represent the very same interest, on the same page. I'm not sure Stevie Y is a good choice, there's no evidence to me.

Burke has an understanding of the game Bettman lacks. he could be an improvement from our, fans, point of view. but the other aspect is being able to float between the 30 GMs and get them to do something no one particularly is fond of, but what serves all the league at the longer distance. Bettman did it quite well I have to say. it's easy to hate him but it's also easy to forget he has to sell same vision to a bunch of guys who try to circumvent rules every way they can with mountains of money (i.e. Holmgren) and at the same time guys who lead decent organization in tough climate (i.e. Poille). can Burke do this? honestly, I don't think so. too hard nosed and not good enough as a diplomate. plus, I have serious concerns about his impartiality and integrity knowing how many of his buddies swerve around the NHL...

Edited by akustyk

I don't think Burke has that extensive an understanding of hockey. He played a handful of games and none were in the NHL, before becoming a law studen at Harvard. It seems more like his knowledge of politics, schmoozing and everything else in general props up his mediocre understanding of hockey. You listen to him speak about team building and he sounds like the educated guy at work who only watches 20 games a year but thinks he knows everything. I think you find this a lot in sports, guys who are brilliant in regards to everything surrounding the sport but don't have a gut for the actual game. I don't think Brian Burke fully understands hockey like some. To me it's a crime a guy like Burke not only remains employed because of his overrated successes and self promotion-style attitude, and a great hockey mind like Pierre MacGuire can't get a GM job. I think in the end the absolute best managers are the ones who get the details and the game, too.

commish has to be a diplomat who manages to get all the 30 GMs who seldom represent the very same interest, on the same page. I'm not sure Stevie Y is a good choice, there's no evidence to me.

Burke has an understanding of the game Bettman lacks.

The new Leafs GM will have quite the challenge with a roster looking something along the lines of this:

Lupul-Kessel-Bozak

Van Riemsdyk-Grabovski-MacArthur

Komarov(?)-McLement-Kulemin

Brown-Steckel-Frattin

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson

Gardiner-Liles

Komisarek-Holzer

Komisarek better play his ass off. I have a feeling he's on thin ice with the Leafs. He could find himself out of the top 6 D if someone up from the Marlies impresses (Fraser, Gardiner).

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros