• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

McKenzie's reporting that Dave Nonis is their choice for GM, though it's still unclear if that's "interim" or "permanent".

Dave Nonis is the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Unclear whether that is interim or unconditional appointment.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#22 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Buzz is that Burke will take over for Bettman when he steps down. HAHAHA please no God no...

And yet, it would still be a massive improvement  :lol:

#23 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,834 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Wonder what happens to Burkie's Dog House at the ACC. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#24 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's now being reported (Dreger & LeBrun) that Burke is still an "Adviser" with the Leafs.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Nonis appointment as GM and senior VP is not interim.                    

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Just a matter of time... Man burned his own bridges... TO is a hard coconut to crack...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

We should hire him as special advisor to Ken Holland.  

His job could involve scouting enforcers all over NA.  If he needs a helper........

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I think Nonis is going to be the right choice and he is also is more of a hockeyguy instead of someone using the club for his own agenda. I mean if you are a GM and you are not working on improving your team on an UFA day for two years a new ownership won't like something like this. Wish this would make Dion avaiable but I highly doubt it.

Senior adviser = well the guy is still on contract so we have to pay him anyways, let's make him a SA.

Edited by frankgrimes, 09 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#29 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Talk about Burke and Bettman serious?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#30 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I always liked the teams that Burke put together.  Vancouver was a solid mix of size and skill, as was Anaheim, as was the 2010 Olympic team.  Obviously that didn't happen in Toronto but I have to wonder how much control Burke really had relative to other GMs.  I mean, Toronto has a long history of internal power struggles, and resultant s***ty teams.  I wouldn't blame too much of that on Burke.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#31 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I always liked the teams he put together, too. Very balanced, in my opinion. Wonder if he'll find a GM stint somewhere else.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#32 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Reports saying gardiner and kadri for luongo bad deal for Toronto if they accept.

#33 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I always liked the teams that Burke put together.  Vancouver was a solid mix of size and skill, as was Anaheim, as was the 2010 Olympic team.  Obviously that didn't happen in Toronto but I have to wonder how much control Burke really had relative to other GMs.  I mean, Toronto has a long history of internal power struggles, and resultant s***ty teams.  I wouldn't blame too much of that on Burke.

you mean like Ducks where he inherited very well drafted core (courtesy of Bryan Murray, mastermind behind current good youth at Ottawa) and was gifted Pronger deal? and then dumped all the assets to build a team with one shot which luckily worked out, because his old buddy Colin Campbell put a blind eye on Pronger's "specific physics"?

or Nucks where he had Bobby Lou and Swedish Twins. and still the team sucked a** ?

Burke is overrated but what I most hate about him is how he's media who*e who loves to bath in flashlights. the guy is perfect example of how talking a lot and having buddies builds a reputation of actually being knowledgeable, despite all the evidence to contrary.

Nonis is a good choice for Maple Laughs, unfortunately. he may build something decent in this mess. though, with new draft lottery system building team by pulling Penguins/Hawks (dwell at the #30 for a number of seasons) is no longer warranty of success so he might need a couple of years to really develop some decent core...

frankly, few things make me laugh as much as seeing Burke fail. can't stand this guy. hope he doesn't replace Bettman. the later might not "know the finer aspects of hockey" but is at least decent at diplomacy and knows not to stick with the same circle of old buddies... Burke and his hard nosed pals could be a disaster for the league...

#34 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Maybe he'll just get a job as a TV analyst like Milbury.  Ugh...

#35 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

He screwed up with his very first try at a GM in Toronto. Kessel for two first round draft picks (Seguin, Hamilton). Burke being fired is not a surprise up here in Toronto, however the timing is what people are confused about. Rogers and Bell now own majority of the Maple Leafs, they are two owners that don't fool around and want results. See the Toronto Blue Jays this off season.

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Burke added only the Sedins and Kesler to Vancouver, and he wasn't around long enough to see them benefit from that. In Anaheim, he inherited a very good team and added to it a gift-wrapped Pronger and a gift-wrapped Niedermayer. He then screwed up the team in the next season by adding an aged Schneider and an overpaid Bertuzzi (whom he bought out the very next offseason) and dumping Andy McDonald to clear space for an out-of-shape Scott Niedermayer to return.

I'm sure Burke had plenty of control in Toronto. He was, after all, supposed to be the team's savior, and he was paid accordingly. More, I doubt he would have taken the job had it entailed brooking interference of any significant kind. The fact that he did so poorly was almost certainly his fault alone. This was the first time he'd taken over a team in full rebuild mode, and he did an awful job of it. It was clear from his groveling apology speech last year that he knew he was on the verge of being fired.

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I always liked the teams he put together, too. Very balanced, in my opinion. Wonder if he'll find a GM stint somewhere else.

Agree with both posts above...

What many here forget is that the Maple Leafs squad he left today is considerably "better" than the one he acquired from JFJ.

Rogers/Bell aren't exactly fond of Burke's way of doing things - they prefer a more "corporate" type running the show.

He screwed up with his very first try at a GM in Toronto. Kessel for two first round draft picks (Seguin, Hamilton). Burke being fired is not a surprise up here in Toronto, however the timing is what people are confused about. Rogers and Bell now own majority of the Maple Leafs, they are two owners that don't fool around and want results. See the Toronto Blue Jays this off season.

Unlike the Blue Jays with no salary cap - the Leafs cannot buy who they want...

From what I've read - many are surprised at his release - even the TSN crew is scratching their heads over this one.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

What many here forget is that the Maple Leafs squad he left today is considerably "better" than the one he acquired from JFJ.

Rogers/Bell aren't exactly fond of Burke's way of doing things - they prefer a more "corporate" type running the show.

From what I've read - many are surprised at his release - even the TSN crew is scratching their heads over this one.

Jays didn't buy anyone ? They traded with Miami and Mets. What's to say the Leafs can't do the same to get top talent there, they have some pretty good young guys ? Also, cap space isn't an issue considering they are 12 million under and can make trades. I hate the leafs alot, however Rogers and Bell don't fool around like MLSE and the teachers union did.

If you talk to Leaf fans, you know this is not a shocker. People at work today were saying it should have been done 3 years ago and didn't really care much other than wanting to know the replacement.

Edited by darkmanx, 09 January 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Jays didn't buy anyone ? They traded with Miami and Mets. What's to say the Leafs can't do the same to get top talent there, they have some pretty good young guys ? Also, cap space isn't an issue considering they are 12 million under and can make trades. I hate the leafs alot, however Rogers and Bell don't fool around like MLSE and the teachers union did.

If you talk to Leaf fans, you know this is not a shocker. People at work today were saying it should have been done 3 years ago and didn't really care much other than wanting to know the replacement.

I don't follow MLB; my point being that MLB has no hard cap so any team with $$$ can go crazy...Can't do that anymore in the NHL.

This isn't the 1990's, or early 2000's; trades don't come by as often as they used to, but for what it's worth - Burke is known for making moves - just that he only had $6.6 million in cap space (according to cap geek) to play with...Who's to say he didn't offer $$$ to Parise/Suter?

EDIT - for what it's worth - many of the posters at "Leafs Forever" are rather surprised at Burke's dismissal as well.

Edited by F.Michael, 09 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Still hoping Luongo becomes a leaf.

bringit.jpg