#41 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

NBC should scoop him up NOW!

Sorry, slight error there.

NBC Sports Network should scoop him up NOW!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

take this as you will, but i have a friend who has some "in's" in the Leafs organization and he told me this summer that Burke had an "inappropriate conduct with a young women" and that the leafs were probably gonna let him go.  I actually tweeted at Dreger on Aug 24 tellin him that Burke would get let go before the season starts.  Granted he gets thousands of those kind of tweets i'm sure, but still, I'd say the info I received holds some merit.

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

From Toronto Star:

“The general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs should speak for hockey,” Peddie said. “And when Brian would speak at league meetings, honest to God, people were quiet. He’d take on owners, general managers. The man was listened to. And I thought, ‘That’s the person we need.’ Is Brian bombastic? A little black and white? A little profane? Yes. But I had no problems with that. . . . It worked for me and the previous owners.”

“There were times I did suggest that (Burke tone it down),” Peddie said.

#44 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

take this as you will, but i have a friend who has some "in's" in the Leafs organization and he told me this summer that Burke had an "inappropriate conduct with a young women" and that the leafs were probably gonna let him go.  I actually tweeted at Dreger on Aug 24 tellin him that Burke would get let go before the season starts.  Granted he gets thousands of those kind of tweets i'm sure, but still, I'd say the info I received holds some merit.

As I'm sure everyone in the Leaf's organization cheats on everyone. You really think that was the cause? Not calling you a liar or anything. But still. Happens in all pro sports including the box office. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke has had multiple affairs with women doesn't hide the fact he's an average GM. Yes average hockey GM IMO. Not great not bad.

#45 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'm a little surprised he didn't get until the end of the season to see if the Leafs would make the playoffs this year.  If they were gonna let him go why not do it in June or earlier?

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#46 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

As I'm sure everyone in the Leaf's organization cheats on everyone. You really think that was the cause? Not calling you a liar or anything. But still. Happens in all pro sports including the box office. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke has had multiple affairs with women doesn't hide the fact he's an average GM. Yes average hockey GM IMO. Not great not bad.

True, coulda just been the tipping point to letting him go

#47 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

He screwed up with his very first try at a GM in Toronto. Kessel for two first round draft picks (Seguin, Hamilton). Burke being fired is not a surprise up here in Toronto, however the timing is what people are confused about. Rogers and Bell now own majority of the Maple Leafs, they are two owners that don't fool around and want results. See the Toronto Blue Jays this off season.

Right, he screwed the organization right away with that horrible deal for Kessel. And it gets even worse as time goes on. And to think there's a large group of fans and media in Toronto that defended that deal, and still do. My question is, with Hall and Seguin available in the upcoming draft, wouldn't you do anything in your power to get one of them to build your team around?

Any other city, Burke would have been fired after 2 years, if he wasn't boooed out of town by the fans before that. Only in Toronto he'd last 4 years. Toronto likes to self proclaim themselves as the meccha of hockey, and that they have the toughest media and fans in the NHL. Far from it. Toronto's media and fans have to be one of the easiest, passive, and uneducated to deal with. The only thing they're #1 in is being annoying.

I seem to be more upset with the Leafs organization then actual Leaf fans are.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#48 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

TSN yesterday had a list of his record with the Leafs and basically save for their GF the franchise has been in the 25 - 30th ballpark under him.

He may not be a bad GM but he is just too focused and non hockey related stuff, he wasn't there when the team needed him the most for two years in a row. Like I said I think using a franchise for your political agenda is not the way to do it and especially not with some gigantic suits namely Rogers and Bell coming in.

I don't know much about Nonis but thought he "failed" in Vancouver, so the pressure on him is going to be enormous now.

As for him being the next commissioner I highly doubt it, Stevie Y would e the obvious choice for that position.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#49 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

commish has to be a diplomat who manages to get all the 30 GMs who seldom represent the very same interest, on the same page. I'm not sure Stevie Y is a good choice, there's no evidence to me.

Burke has an understanding of the game Bettman lacks. he could be an improvement from our, fans, point of view. but the other aspect is being able to float between the 30 GMs and get  them to do something no one particularly is fond of, but what serves all the league at the longer distance. Bettman did it quite well I have to say. it's easy to hate him but it's also easy to forget he has to sell same vision to a bunch of guys who try to circumvent rules every way they can with mountains of money (i.e. Holmgren) and at the same time guys who lead decent organization in tough climate (i.e. Poille). can Burke do this? honestly, I don't think so. too hard nosed and not good enough as a diplomate. plus, I have serious concerns about his impartiality and integrity knowing how many of his buddies swerve around the NHL...

Edited by akustyk, 10 January 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#50 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Lest we forget...Burke signed Brett Lebda as a free agent. Two years at $1.45M per. Genius, he is not.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#51 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

"Necktie stylin'" will never be the same.

MLSE: just doing business.

#52 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

All the leaves are brown

And the sky is gray

Don't Toews me, bro!

#53 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't think Burke has that extensive an understanding of hockey. He played a handful of games and none were in the NHL, before becoming a law studen at Harvard. It seems more like his knowledge of politics, schmoozing and everything else in general props up his mediocre understanding of hockey. You listen to him speak about team building and he sounds like the educated guy at work who only watches 20 games a year but thinks he knows everything. I think you find this a lot in sports, guys who are brilliant in regards to everything surrounding the sport but don't have a gut for the actual game. I don't think Brian Burke fully understands hockey like some. To me it's a crime a guy like Burke not only remains employed because of his overrated successes and self promotion-style attitude, and a great hockey mind like Pierre MacGuire can't get a GM job. I think in the end the absolute best managers are the ones who get the details and the game, too.

commish has to be a diplomat who manages to get all the 30 GMs who seldom represent the very same interest, on the same page. I'm not sure Stevie Y is a good choice, there's no evidence to me.

Burke has an understanding of the game Bettman lacks.

#54 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I don't think Burke has that extensive an understanding of hockey. He played a handful of games and none were in the NHL, before becoming a law studen at Harvard. It seems more like his knowledge of politics, schmoozing and everything else in general props up his mediocre understanding of hockey. You listen to him speak about team building and he sounds like the educated guy at work who only watches 20 games a year but thinks he knows everything. I think you find this a lot in sports, guys who are brilliant in regards to everything surrounding the sport but don't have a gut for the actual game. I don't think Brian Burke fully understands hockey like some. To me it's a crime a guy like Burke not only remains employed because of his overrated successes and self promotion-style attitude, and a great hockey mind like Pierre MacGuire can't get a GM job. I think in the end the absolute best managers are the ones who get the details and the game, too.

Wait...Did you just "plug" Pierre McGuire :blink:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#55 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

The new Leafs GM will have quite the challenge with a roster looking something along the lines of this:

Lupul-Kessel-Bozak
Van Riemsdyk-Grabovski-MacArthur
Komarov(?)-McLement-Kulemin
Brown-Steckel-Frattin

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Liles
Komisarek-Holzer

Komisarek better play his ass off. I have a feeling he's on thin ice with the Leafs. He could find himself out of the top 6 D if someone up from the Marlies impresses (Fraser, Gardiner).

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 10 January 2013 - 07:51 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Wonder what happens to Burkie's Dog House at the ACC. 

From Toronto Star:

So, bye bye Burkie’s Dog House.

Hello, The Dog House.

#57 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

The new Leafs GM will have quite the challenge with a roster looking something along the lines of this:

Lupul-Kessel-Bozak
Van Riemsdyk-Grabovski-MacArthur
Komarov(?)-McLement-Kulemin
Brown-Steckel-Frattin

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Liles
Komisarek-Holzer

Komisarek better play his ass off. I have a feeling he's on thin ice with the Leafs. He could find himself out of the top 6 D if someone up from the Marlies impresses (Fraser, Gardiner).

I suddenly feel so much better about the Wings this year. Wow that looks rough.  Their D is better than ours though :/ Everything else except their first line looks like an AHL team. 

IPB Image

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

My guess is that unless Komisarek can play like he had while a Hab - he'll get bought out.

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2339162" data-time="1357869604"><p>
My guess is that unless Komisarek can play like he had while a Hab - he'll get bought out.</p></blockquote>
Yeah, I agree. He just hasn't been the same kind of player since coming to Toronto. I think when he first signed with the Leafs, he was given too important of a role on defense. He just needs to get back to playing his game- Blocking shots, killing penalties, and clearing the crease. The occasional point would be beneficial, as well. He's only 30 years old. Not like he's an aging vet quite yet.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2339162" data-time="1357869604"><p>
My guess is that unless Komisarek can play like he had while a Hab - he'll get bought out.</p></blockquote>
Yeah, I agree. He just hasn't been the same kind of player since coming to Toronto. I think when he first signed with the Leafs, he was given too important of a role on defense. He just needs to get back to playing his game- Blocking shots, killing penalties, and clearing the crease. The occasional point would be beneficial, as well. He's only 30 years old. Not like he's an aging vet quite yet.

30 years old...Seems like yesterday when he was wearing the "rouge blanc et bleu" for the Canadiens.

He's a prime example of somebody who should've stayed in Montreal where he was playing well, and generally liked by the fans.