• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtydangles

Next Year UFA Wish List

Rate this topic

Looking to next year's free agents list, who would you make a play for?

Here are my top 5:

- Corey Perry OR Ryan Getzlaf

- Travis Zajac

- Alex Edler

- Mark Fistric

If we could pick up one of Perry/Getzlaf/Zajac it would make Franzen and Filppula expendable and they could be traded for a top dman.

I think in previous years we could get by with second tier additions because of our roster. Now we need to go all out to get Getzlaf or Perry and some sort of defense option. I wouldn't throw Filppula out there, he's so hugely underrated by even us. He's such a complete player with great work ethic, I wouldn't give that up. I'd pray for some sort of great statistical season from Franzen so we can send him somewhere else in a fair deal. Someone out there will put up with his laziness, I just hope it won't be us for another few years.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I suggest that those of you lobbying for a top 6 forward and top 4 defencemen try using cap geek with a cap of 64M to try and assemble a line-up that includes raises for Howard, Filpulla, Smith, and Nyquist and see how you can twist the numbers. I've tried, and the results were two embarassing to post.

In short, if a top 4 D-man commands 3-4M and a top 6 forward goes somewhere in the 4M range, it's almost impossible to fit this under the cap. It's actually possible that next year's team ends up being worse than this one, not better.

Okay. So without being able to input different salaries for players getting raises next year due to capgeek only doing the current year, here is what I came up with. The key is to trim the fat (older players making more than they are worth. We need some rookie contracts and some star contracts mixed in. Apply raises for guys using the 9mill left over:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($5.325m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,694,167; BONUSES: $957,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,263,333

Subtractions: Cleary, Bert, Eaves (IR), Sammy, Franzen, Emmerton, Coliacovo. All either through trade, contract expiration, or amnesty buyout.

Guest Crymson
DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

The rest of the oddities in your post aside, in what universe does Alex Edler garner only $3.25m? That will never happen.

Im not sure how much big spending you will see this offseason. The Cap going DOWN hasnt happened since it was introduced in the previous CBA. It will be interesting for sure.

Okay. So without being able to input different salaries for players getting raises next year due to capgeek only doing the current year, here is what I came up with. The key is to trim the fat (older players making more than they are worth. We need some rookie contracts and some star contracts mixed in. Apply raises for guys using the 9mill left over:

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($5.325m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,694,167; BONUSES: $957,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,263,333

Subtractions: Cleary, Bert, Eaves (IR), Sammy, Franzen, Emmerton, Coliacovo. All either through trade, contract expiration, or amnesty buyout.

I've taken this roster and monified it for salary, just for discussion's sake (note - this is not MY preferred line-up, just a tidier version of Dirty's):

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($5.750m)

Nyquist Gustav ($1.200m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valterri Filpulla ($4.000m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.500m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / (NaN)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($3.000m)

Brendan Smith ($1.200m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.000m)

Alex Edler ($5.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($3.800m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen (-$0.139m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,821,629; BONUSES: $495,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $326,629

Not only does this not fit under the cap, but that's the smallest group of Wings forwards I've ever seen. Plus there is only room to buy out Franzen and Sammy. How does one just "get rid" of Bert, Emmerton, Eaves, Cackavo, etc?

Like I said, fantasy time is over, UNLESS someone could fit a Corey Perry and Edler type under next year's cap. Realistcally, that is.

Sammy, Mule and Quincey had better earn their money. I'm not bashing them (I think we're too hard on Sammy and Quincey as is) but if they don't earn their money, that's a very valuable 10.5 mil or so we could put towards other players(Perry@roughly 6.6, Edler at roughly 5 or someone around that value in a trade) Insert one of our young kids, Tatar, someone like that.

I don't see Perry or Getzlaf coming here, I would be happy with Hartnell and/or Edler.

As much as I dislike him, I'd take Perry. I'm not sure about Getzlaf though. Talented player for sure but he gets a lot of grief from fans for taking nights off and not working hard every shift (sounds strangely familiar).

After shopping Bobby Ryan several times now, I also wonder if the Ducks would finally commit to dealing him.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="haroldsnepsts" data-cid="2339128" data-time="1357859020"><p>

<br />

After shopping Bobby Ryan several times now, I also wonder if the Ducks would finally commit to dealing him. </p></blockquote>

Was wondering this as well. I'd love to welcome bobby Ryan on the squad. I'd probly take him over perry if they were both FA.. But if perry does hit the open market, I'd love to get him. Problem is, so would every other team....

I've taken this roster and monified it for salary, just for discussion's sake (note - this is not MY preferred line-up, just a tidier version of Dirty's):

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($5.750m)

Nyquist Gustav ($1.200m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valterri Filpulla ($4.000m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.500m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / (NaN)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($3.000m)

Brendan Smith ($1.200m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.000m)

Alex Edler ($5.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($3.800m)

BUYOUTS

------

Not only does this not fit under the cap, but that's the smallest group of Wings forwards I've ever seen. Plus there is only room to buy out Franzen and Sammy. How does one just "get rid" of Bert, Emmerton, Eaves, Cackavo, etc?

Like I said, fantasy time is over, UNLESS someone could fit a Corey Perry and Edler type under next year's cap. Realistcally, that is.

Let me know if I'm wrong but the amnesty buyouts don't count against the cap. We get two. I'm sure someone would take Franzen on in a weaker team. Buyout Bert, Sammy. Eaves goes on IR. Emmerton and Colo could be traded with their low cap hits. This would easily fit under the cap and you could sign another forward or keep emmerton.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dirtydangles" data-cid="2339145" data-time="1357864925"><p>

Let me know if I'm wrong but the amnesty buyouts don't count against the cap. We get two. I'm sure someone would take Franzen on in a weaker team. Buyout Bert, Sammy. Eaves goes on IR. Emmerton and Colo could be traded with their low cap hits. This would easily fit under the cap and you could sign another forward or keep emmerton. </p></blockquote>

Well, I bought out Franzen, and Sammy. And yes, they don't count against the cap. Basically, I imagined, in your world that Kenny was able to buy out Franzen and Sammy, then somehow pawn Carlo, Bert, Emmerton, ect off on other teams. The roster I posted (your roster) does not include cap hits for any of these guys.

Howard, Flip, Nyquist, and Smith are all FAs and will get raises.

So, no, this roster can not easily fit under the cap. It can't even difficultly fit under the cap.

Edited by rick zombo

BUYOUTS
------

Teams have two amnesty buyouts, which do not count towards the cap. Those could be used on Bert and Sammy. (Since those are both 35+ contracts, buying them out without amnesty wouldn't make any sense, since it wouldn't save anything on the cap.)

Teams have an unlimited number of ordinary course buyouts, which do count toward the cap. Assuming we couldn't make any trades, and Eaves came back ready to play, buying out Mule, Cola, Eaves, and Emmy would cost around $1.1M in cap next year. Saves around $2M over your roster.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Buppy" data-cid="2339155" data-time="1357866993"><p>

<em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'>BUYOUTS</strong><br />

Johan Franzen (-$0.139m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)<br />

<strong class='bbc'>------</strong></em><br />

<br />

Teams have two <em class='bbc'>amnesty</em> buyouts, which do not count towards the cap. Those could be used on Bert and Sammy. (Since those are both 35+ contracts, buying them out without amnesty wouldn't make any sense, since it wouldn't save anything on the cap.)<br />

<br />

Teams have an unlimited number of ordinary course buyouts, which do count toward the cap. Assuming we couldn't make any trades, and Eaves came back ready to play, buying out Mule, Cola, Eaves, and Emmy would cost around $1.1M in cap next year. Saves around $2M over your roster.</p></blockquote>

Look at that roster. It's 300,000 OVER the cap WITHOUT including any of those guys. Even if you were able to get rid of Bert, Carlo, Em-dog, etc without buying them out, you'd be 300,000 OVER the cap. If you had to buy them out, then that's 300,000 + 1.1M or whatever OVER the cap.

Edited by rick zombo

As much as I dislike him, I'd take Perry. I'm not sure about Getzlaf though. Talented player for sure but he gets a lot of grief from fans for taking nights off and not working hard every shift (sounds strangely familiar).

After shopping Bobby Ryan several times now, I also wonder if the Ducks would finally commit to dealing him.

I just think with how little top end talent the Ducks have now, that they will do whatever it takes to resign these guys. I expect that they both will rebound from lousy seasons and try and get us much dough as possible.

As far as Ryan goes, I don't know who we could offer that would make sense for both teams. I feel that acquiring a top end dmen is far more important for us right now.