RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I've taken this roster and monified it for salary, just for discussion's sake (note - this is not MY preferred line-up, just a tidier version of Dirty's):

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($5.750m)
Nyquist Gustav ($1.200m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valterri  Filpulla ($4.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien  Brunner ($1.500m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /   (NaN)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($3.000m)
Brendan Smith ($1.200m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.000m)
Alex Edler ($5.500m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($3.800m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen (-$0.139m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,821,629; BONUSES: $495,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $326,629

Not only does this not fit under the cap, but that's the smallest group of Wings forwards I've ever seen. Plus there is only room to buy out Franzen and Sammy. How does one just "get rid" of Bert, Emmerton, Eaves, Cackavo, etc?

Like I said, fantasy time is over, UNLESS someone could fit a Corey Perry and Edler type under next year's cap. Realistcally, that is.

Let me know if I'm wrong but the amnesty buyouts don't count against the cap. We get two. I'm sure someone would take Franzen on in a weaker team. Buyout Bert, Sammy. Eaves goes on IR. Emmerton and Colo could be traded with their low cap hits. This would easily fit under the cap and you could sign another forward or keep emmerton. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dirtydangles" data-cid="2339145" data-time="1357864925"><p>
Let me know if I'm wrong but the amnesty buyouts don't count against the cap. We get two. I'm sure someone would take Franzen on in a weaker team. Buyout Bert, Sammy. Eaves goes on IR. Emmerton and Colo could be traded with their low cap hits. This would easily fit under the cap and you could sign another forward or keep emmerton. </p></blockquote>

Well, I bought out Franzen, and Sammy. And yes, they don't count against the cap. Basically, I imagined, in your world that Kenny was able to buy out Franzen and Sammy, then somehow pawn Carlo, Bert, Emmerton, ect off on other teams. The roster I posted (your roster) does not include cap hits for any of these guys.

Howard, Flip, Nyquist, and Smith are all FAs and will get raises.

So, no, this roster can not easily fit under the cap. It can't even difficultly fit under the cap.

Edited by rick zombo, 10 January 2013 - 07:55 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#24 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen (-$0.139m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,821,629; BONUSES: $495,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $326,629

Not only does this not fit under the cap, but that's the smallest group of Wings forwards I've ever seen. Plus there is only room to buy out Franzen and Sammy. How does one just "get rid" of Bert, Emmerton, Eaves, Cackavo, etc?

Like I said, fantasy time is over, UNLESS someone could fit a Corey Perry and Edler type under next year's cap. Realistcally, that is.

Teams have two amnesty buyouts, which do not count towards the cap. Those could be used on Bert and Sammy. (Since those are both 35+ contracts, buying them out without amnesty wouldn't make any sense, since it wouldn't save anything on the cap.)

Teams have an unlimited number of ordinary course buyouts, which do count toward the cap. Assuming we couldn't make any trades, and Eaves came back ready to play, buying out Mule, Cola, Eaves, and Emmy would cost around $1.1M in cap next year. Saves around $2M over your roster.

#25 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Buppy" data-cid="2339155" data-time="1357866993"><p>
<em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'>BUYOUTS</strong><br />
Johan Franzen (-$0.139m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)<br />
<strong class='bbc'>------</strong></em><br />
 <br />
Teams have two <em class='bbc'>amnesty</em> buyouts, which do not count towards the cap. Those could be used on Bert and Sammy. (Since those are both 35+ contracts, buying them out without amnesty wouldn't make any sense, since it wouldn't save anything on the cap.)<br />
 <br />
Teams have an unlimited number of ordinary course buyouts, which do count toward the cap. Assuming we couldn't make any trades, and Eaves came back ready to play, buying out Mule, Cola, Eaves, and Emmy would cost around $1.1M in cap next year. Saves around $2M over your roster.</p></blockquote>

Look at that roster. It's 300,000 OVER the cap WITHOUT including any of those guys. Even if you were able to get rid of Bert, Carlo, Em-dog, etc without buying them out, you'd be 300,000 OVER the cap. If you had to buy them out, then that's 300,000 + 1.1M or whatever OVER the cap.

Edited by rick zombo, 10 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#26 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

As much as I dislike him, I'd take Perry.  I'm not sure about Getzlaf though.  Talented player for sure but he gets a lot of grief from fans for taking nights off and not working hard every shift (sounds strangely familiar).  

After shopping Bobby Ryan several times now, I also wonder if the Ducks would finally commit to dealing him. 

I just think with how little top end talent the Ducks have now, that they will do whatever it takes to resign these guys.  I expect that they both will rebound from lousy seasons and try and get us much dough as possible.

As far as Ryan goes, I don't know who we could offer that would make sense for both teams.  I feel that acquiring a top end dmen is far more important for us right now.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#27 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Look at that roster. It's 300,000 OVER the cap WITHOUT including any of those guys. Even if you were able to get rid of Bert, Carlo, Em-dog, etc without buying them out, you'd be 300,000 OVER the cap. If you had to buy them out, then that's 300,000 + 1.1M or whatever OVER the cap.

It's $300K over including ~$2.86M from buying out Franzen and Samuelsson. Also, the cap next year is $64.3M, not $64M even.

Subtract that $2.86, add the $1.1M, correct the cap, and that roster is roughly $1.4M under the cap. It's doable, though getting all those guys at those prices might not be.

Not that it would happen. Franzen won't be bought out, highly unlikely he'd even be traded. Bert and Sammy would have to suck pretty bad to get a buyout. Emmy likely gets traded or lost to waivers, maybe this year if Eaves comes back. If we add a new defenseman, he probably replaces White rather than Cola, just because Cola is already signed. If Eaves is healthy, we likely keep him rather than re-sign Miller or Mursak.

But it is technically possible to do.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Given that the cap is going down, depending on our play this year I think the best move is to resign our own free agents and do nothing else.  Taking on a big contract to the detriment of our depth is probably a bad idea for the next year or so.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

before we talk about all the potential top six forwards.....wouldnt a top 2 d-man make more sense?

My wish: A healthy roster

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

before we talk about all the potential top six forwards.....wouldnt a top 2 d-man make more sense?

I fully agree before going after forwards we need to fix the defense and thanks to the damn cap going down it won't be easy. 

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Let me know if I'm wrong but the amnesty buyouts don't count against the cap. We get two. I'm sure someone would take Franzen on in a weaker team. Buyout Bert, Sammy. Eaves goes on IR. Emmerton and Colo could be traded with their low cap hits. This would easily fit under the cap and you could sign another forward or keep emmerton. 

Why would you buy out Franzen? I don't get this.  Floater or not, the guy is extra scoring which the Wings badly need, at a reasonable price.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Why would you buy out Franzen? I don't get this.  Floater or not, the guy is extra scoring which the Wings badly need, at a reasonable price.

i agree- I am NOT, by any means a franzen fan....but where are we going to find someone who can put 25-30 goals in the net for his pricetag. He frustrates me like no other player but its like talk therapy ( I yell at the screen, it makes me feel better)

with that being said, I believe we are actually in great shape. We can get our roster down to be cap compliant next year without too much grief....think of Phily or the teams that have to shed 8 or 9 million. Thats a disaster.....we need a few key guys to step up (Brunner, Quincey ect) and we have a solid team despite what the critics say.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#33 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

To free up cap space in order to add a #1 or #2 D-man. That's all really. That, and the term of Franzen's contract is depressing.

Edited by rick zombo, 11 January 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,114 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I wouldn't throw Filppula out there, he's so hugely underrated by even us. He's such a complete player with great work ethic

Hugely underrated? By us?

Flip?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Franzen is owed close to 20 million dollars. Why is everyone overlooking that? Buying him out isnt going to happen this year. Its stupid to even suggest it.

#36 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Not sure why everyone wants to buy our Franzen...I get that his contract is long but it is at a reasonable price. Franzen was also our best goal scorer last year and can win play off games on his own.

Having Franzen on our team is far from our biggest issue.

be about it!

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,114 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

i agree- I am NOT, by any means a franzen fan....but where are we going to find someone who can put 25-30 goals in the net for his pricetag.

- I dunno. Where did we find him?

- We don't necessarily need a man-for-man, point-for-point, pound-for-pound, one-to-one replacement, especially if we're mainly talking regular-season production.

- "Where are we going to find someone who can put 25-30 goals in the net for his pricetag" Vs. "Where are we going to find someone who can score in the playoffs (and 1. consistently, 2. in the clutch)?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Not sure why everyone wants to buy our Franzen...I get that his contract is long but it is at a reasonable price. Franzen was also our best goal scorer last year and can win play off games on his own.

It's this type of abused wife mindset that allows his poisonous attitude and play style to keep infecting the team. His goal scoring is massively overrated and his abilty to "win games on his own" not only was a little overblown, but those days are gone and any possibility of a return is out of the question as long as he's floating. Just like the beaten wife can find someone better, so can we. I don't often whip out the cap comparables, it's usually silly and not indicative of much but seriously look at this list and tell me all things considered you'd take Mule.

http://capgeek.com/c...les/?player=292

He's the only guy on the team who has a cap compable list that makes me sad.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 11 January 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#39 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Edler would certainly be the biggest need right now.  Cap space will be tight.

Looking to next year's free agents list, who would you make a play for?

Here are my top 5:

- Corey Perry OR Ryan Getzlaf

- Travis Zajac

- Alex Edler

- Mark Fistric

If we could pick up one of Perry/Getzlaf/Zajac it would make Franzen and Filppula expendable and they could be traded for a top dman. 

#40 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

^Personally I think we need a lot better than Edler. Maybe my standards are too high but we need more.