• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ZachPariseisMyDaddy

Detroit Listed as a Bandwagon Fan Base

Rate this topic

http://www.lazloscloset.com/2013/01/10/nhl-fan-take-the-5-biggest-bandwagon-fan-bases-in-hockey/

What kind of crap is this? I realize it's some blog, but I came across it and it really pissed me off. How are we listed as badwagoners? This is BS.

Same with the Blackhawks and the Penguins...How are they bandwagon fans?

I don't usually get this mad about some blog, but it's really ridiculous.

"Any team with that much success is sure to have bandwagon fans."

"but surely a lot of them are only fans of their success"

Typical amateur writer fluff. Lots of "well I don't know at all, but I assume you'd think this should be true..." type of garbage. I think he was right about Chicago, they went from barely selling tickets to selling out arenas and jacking up season ticket prices to highest in the league IIRC. It happened because the team began to win and it became the trendy thing to do to go to Hawks games and drink your ass off. But as is the case with writers like this, even if he ends up right it was by accident.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I think all teams, except those that always suck, have some fans that are only fans because it's cool, or because the team is winning, or because the team's colors look nice on a shirt (heard that one once). The more successful you are, the worse it is. I don't think the entirety of the Red Wings fan base is made up of bandwagoners, but that doesn't mean we don't have any.

Well I think there's some in every successful fan base. I don't think we're any better or worse. However, if my time here at LGW has taught me anything it's that there's more of it than you think. Just wait until we lose a few too many games in a row this season and watch how many people either swear on our impending doom, or else swear off the team entirely only to turn around on the next hot streak and talk up the organization. It happens, but again, probably no more than anywhere else.

Well I think there's some in every successful fan base. I don't think we're any better or worse. However, if my time here at LGW has taught me anything it's that there's more of it than you think. Just wait until we lose a few too many games in a row this season and watch how many people either swear on our impending doom, or else swear off the team entirely only to turn around on the next hot streak and talk up the organization. It happens, but again, probably no more than anywhere else.

That's not bandwagoning, that's just overreacting and being too emotional. Internet forums seem to attract chicken littles I've noticed.

"Any team with that much success is sure to have bandwagon fans."

"but surely a lot of them are only fans of their success"

Typical amateur writer fluff. Lots of "well I don't know at all, but I assume you'd think this should be true..." type of garbage. I think he was right about Chicago, they went from barely selling tickets to selling out arenas and jacking up season ticket prices to highest in the league IIRC. It happened because the team began to win and it became the trendy thing to do to go to Hawks games and drink your ass off. But as is the case with writers like this, even if he ends up right it was by accident.

Good point about Chicago. I just looked up the numbers...They really did start jumping on after they won the Cup.

What about the Bruins? That's a bandwagon fanbase, in my opinion!

Don't get too upset about it. The writer couldn't even bring forth any fact-based evidence for his claim, and the only reason the Wings made this list is because of pure speculation on the writer's part:

"Any team with that much success is sure to have bandwagon fans...the Red Wings have many loyal fans, but surely a lot of them are only fans of their success."

'Sure to have' and 'surely' are his clever ways of saying "I can't support my claims at all, but I still suspect there are a lot of bandwagoners and my suspicions alone are why the Wings are on this list.

I've said it a couple times before but this is a good time to repeat my thoughts. Bandwagon fans are defined by being only interested in teams during successful eras. I've been following the Wings since I've been old enough to understand sports (1995). Technically I don't know whether I'm a bandwagoner, because the Wings have never been unsuccessful during these past 20 years.

And just a side thought: bandwagon fan is a term that only elitist fans throw around to make themselves feel better about their image. Who cares if people are bandwagon fans?

the teams that swing in and out of contention would have the biggest bandwagon members.

if a team stays stable...even if they suck, would keep their loyal base.

if the team rises in the standings, has a spike of success, then you get bandwagon types.

it happens in all sports no matter what.

the only time it bugs me is when gangbangers wear them to be cool.

I have never understood this. Ok we have bandwagon fans....SO....Maybe because we are one of the greatest teams ever in hockey...It's understandable. I'm not sure I understand everyone being so upset about someone saying we have bandwagon fans. Ou fan base is probably 1 of if not THE BIGGEST in hockey.

A few things:

1. What is his team? I bet he believes they have the most passionate fan base.

2. If you are going to write an article, what is your goal? Getting traffic. Attack the large fan bases and you'll get more views.

Edited by rrasco

Guest Johnz96
http://www.lazloscloset.com/2013/01/10/nhl-fan-take-the-5-biggest-bandwagon-fan-bases-in-hockey/

What kind of crap is this? I realize it's some blog, but I came across it and it really pissed me off. How are we listed as badwagoners? This is BS.

Same with the Blackhawks and the Penguins...How are they bandwagon fans?

I don't usually get this mad about some blog, but it's really ridiculous.

In the case of the Pengiuns and the Hawks (although that might have a lot to do with Wirtz's death), their fan base increased significantly as they became successful( in Chicago's case Wirtz's death may have a lot to do with this as well) on the ice.

As for the Wings. it is obvious to me with some of the responses on Red Wings forums when we lose games or a string of games.

I have never understood this. Ok we have bandwagon fans....SO....Maybe because we are one of the greatest teams ever in hockey...It's understandable. I'm not sure I understand everyone being so upset about someone saying we have bandwagon fans. Ou fan base is probably 1 of if not THE BIGGEST in hockey.

I am sure that if we had the success on the ice that the Leafs have had since the last lockout, that our fanbase would be significantly smaller than it is now

ofcourse we have the most bandwagon fans, because we've been successful for the past 20 years and a force to be reckon with during those years. When you're that dominant for that long, people pick up your team. "Hey, I just started hockey, what's a good team to watch?" --- "The Detroit Red Wings!" People who are new to the sport, and we have more and more people coming and joining the hockey community year in and year out, want to cheer for a successful team that they know will win. It doesn't always have to be your home-state's team, especially if they aren't good. Hell, I know enough people who hate the Lions that live within Michigan and cheer for other teams because of their success. Basically, what it boils down to is embrace the bandwagon. We have fans all across this frickin nation, we FILL other stadiums with our fan base because IT IS THAT BIG. So yes, we do have the biggest bandwagon group. Go on HFB and see how many mindless red wing fans there are on there, it should be enough proof.

A bandwagoner isn't just someone who becomes a fan when the team is winning, it's someone who immediately disavows them when they start losing, and then hops back on when they start winning again. If you've been a fan since the early to mid-90s, like myself, you've only known the Red Wings to be a successful, competent franchise. If we go through some lean years and you quit watching, but then come back when they win the Cup again, THEN you're a bandwagoner. It doesn't describe people who become fans when the team starts a streak of good fortune, but then stays with them regardless.

In the case of the Pengiuns and the Hawks (although that might have a lot to do with Wirtz's death), their fan base increased significantly as they became successful( in Chicago's case Wirtz's death may have a lot to do with this as well) on the ice.

As for the Wings. it is obvious to me with some of the responses on Red Wings forums when we lose games or a string of games.

I am sure that if we had the success on the ice that the Leafs have had since the last lockout, that our fanbase would be significantly smaller than it is now

Well.....yeah sure....What does that have anything to do with it being silly to worry about someone saying we have bandwagon fans.....And so what is someone is a true bandwagon fan.....I still don't get it. Just seems like an elitist jerk mentality to me. We want the sport to grow but we don't want fans to love the good teams like our unless they have been a fan for 10+ years. We don't want any fans in the southern states because they don't have enough cold weather....yeah sounds silly to me.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

The Dead Things played a lot of games in front of a lot of empty seats. That said, the Joe filled to capacity well before any cup appearances and has stayed there.

Edited by kook_10

I agree.

That kind of negative attitudes aren't shared by people who supported the team through thick and thin. I know a lot of people who supported the Wings back in the 80s when they were considered to be the "Dead Things". They don't have the same negative attitudes that many others today have when the Wings hit the skids and go on a 4-5 game losing streak.

As you said though, this happens no more than anyone else.

The author has it right though. The Wings have been riding a huge wave of bandwagon fans because of all the success in the last 20 years. When the Wings decline and don't make the playoffs for a couple seasons, the bandwagon fans will be gone.

I guess I still don't get why it's a bad thing to have bandwagon fans. They are more likely to do the impulsive buying of Red wings gear, tickets, $10 beers and merch from the games then most elitist fans that care that we even have bandwagon fans. New fans have to start somewhere right?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan