• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

OP: Why, exactly, are you outraged at the words of some random blogger?

considering he joined today and has pretty much only posted in this topic, it kinda feels like he is the writer of the article and just coming to drum up traffic.

regarding the topic, sure theres going to be a black area with the wings because they have been successful for so long. fans of other teams assume that wings fans are only fans because they are winning. whether or not its true can only be shown by having lean years which everyone here hopes we can continue to avoid.

regarding the hawks, i give them a little leniency. part of their resurgence was old man wirtz dieing. it was hard to be a fan of the hawks when you couldnt even watch their games on the local sports network. old man wirtz seemed to go out of his way to make is really really hard to be a hawks fan. him passing not only allowed more people to get interested in the hawks thanks to the increased exposure, but it also caused some fans to come back to the team after sometimes boycotting the hawks or at least minimizing their fanhood because of the hatred they had for wirtz.

Edited by dobbles, 10 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#42 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

How can you not say the Wings have bandwagon fans...they have almost worse than bandwagon, they have complacent fans who are bored with anything less than the Stanley Cup...don't tell me about all the sellouts...those are clearly sellouts in name only...The last several years the Wings have had trouble selling out playoff games in the early rounds...Making the playoffs isn't even considered exciting around here anymore...

#43 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

^ The same goes for many franchises outside the Maple Leafs and Canadiens. It's just that we're nowhere near as bad as Pittsburgh and Chicago.

bringit.jpg

#44 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

I dunno, dude, the Lions have been about as consistently terrible as you can get, and they're still maintaining a pretty strong fan-base.

Those aren't bandwagon fans.  Those are real fans that bleed Honolulu Blue.  They are not people who are just there to watch a good team win and ***** about how every player sucks.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#45 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Well.....yeah sure....What does that have anything to do with it being silly to worry about someone  saying we have bandwagon fans.....And so what is someone is a true bandwagon fan.....I still don't get it. Just seems like an elitist jerk mentality to me. We want the sport to grow but we don't want fans to love the good teams like our unless they have been a fan for 10+ years. We don't want any fans in the southern states because they don't have enough cold weather....yeah sounds silly to me.

You gotta be good to have band wagon fans

#46 ZachPariseisMyDaddy

ZachPariseisMyDaddy

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

considering he joined today and has pretty much only posted in this topic, it kinda feels like he is the writer of the article and just coming to drum up traffic.

regarding the topic, sure theres going to be a black area with the wings because they have been successful for so long. fans of other teams assume that wings fans are only fans because they are winning. whether or not its true can only be shown by having lean years which everyone here hopes we can continue to avoid.

regarding the hawks, i give them a little leniency. part of their resurgence was old man wirtz dieing. it was hard to be a fan of the hawks when you couldnt even watch their games on the local sports network. old man wirtz seemed to go out of his way to make is really really hard to be a hawks fan. him passing not only allowed more people to get interested in the hawks thanks to the increased exposure, but it also caused some fans to come back to the team after sometimes boycotting the hawks or at least minimizing their fanhood because of the hatred they had for wirtz.

Yep, you're exactly right. 

Actually I've been a lifelong Red Wings fan and have never be apart of any forum. I stumbled across this one today and thought it was pretty awesome...Thanks for the warm welcome.

#47 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="55fan" data-cid="2339123" data-time="1357858533"><p>
When people call me "bandwagon" for supporting the Wings, I point out that I have also supported the Lions for 4.5 decades.  No one ever accuses a Lions fan of being a bandwagoner.<br />
 <br />
I live in an area where there aren't a lot of pro hockey fans.  If I see someone in Wings gear, I talk to them.  Most are actual Wings fans, but some are just "oh, I got the coat for free" or "oh, it just looks cool".  I just want to smack them. <br />
 <br />
I get excited when I meet someone who actually knows their stuff, but I'll settle for "ooooh, Zetterberg's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!"</p></blockquote>

Lie Down fans are hard core!

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

How can you not say the Wings have bandwagon fans...they have almost worse than bandwagon, they have complacent fans who are bored with anything less than the Stanley Cup...don't tell me about all the sellouts...those are clearly sellouts in name only...The last several years the Wings have had trouble selling out playoff games in the early rounds...Making the playoffs isn't even considered exciting around here anymore...

They are most certainly not sellouts in name only. The empty seats one sees in the lower bowl are corporate types who didn't show up. The upper bowl, which is rarely shown, is always full.

As for the difficulty in selling out early playoff games, this has been an issue since 2007... and the Wings were at the top of the league back then. It makes no sense for you to first say that the difficulty selling out playoff games indicates troubles when, in fact, the Wings were a tremendously good team when this began happening. Perhaps you should take into account the fact that the past six years have constituted one of the worst economic periods in Michigan's history.

I live in Alabama and went to the Wings game in Atlanta a few years ago and a playoff game this year in Nashville. There were a ton of wings fans at both games. I'd wager a large sum of money that most of those people have no affiliation with Detroit or Michigan.

Consider doing some research, then. As things stand, your claim has no logical basis.

Many people in the 90s AND EVEN TODAY are became and are becoming Red Wing fans simply because they are winning.

The 90s don't really count anymore. That was a long time ago. As for today, would you care to show your data on this one? Your claim doesn't make much sense; there have been teams that have been far more dominant over the past three seasons than the Wings.

I know a lot of people that have recently started watching the NHL and are choosing to become fans of other teams because they DON'T want to be viewed as bandwagon fans. Having bandwagon fans is NOT a bad thing. It simply means you are doing something right.

I find this very hard to believe.

Edited by Crymson, 11 January 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#49 luvmnger

luvmnger

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

When people call me "bandwagon" for supporting the Wings, I point out that I have also supported the Lions for 4.5 decades.  No one ever accuses a Lions fan of being a bandwagoner.

I live in an area where there aren't a lot of pro hockey fans.  If I see someone in Wings gear, I talk to them.  Most are actual Wings fans, but some are just "oh, I got the coat for free" or "oh, it just looks cool".  I just want to smack them. 

I get excited when I meet someone who actually knows their stuff, but I'll settle for "ooooh, Zetterberg's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!"

i hear you loud and clear!

as everyone knows...albuquerque is a HOTBED of hockey players/fans as well...so when i see a jersey, ( any team except pens, and avalanche) i give them a nod of understanding/chat.

but for the record i have seen 1 whaler jersey, 1 senator jersey,1 sabres,2 blues, 2 kings, a few stars,pens,avalanche, and an ass load of WINGS!

so the red is rocking the desert fo-shur.

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#50 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

To me this whole conversation reminds me of something I used to hear when I lived out East.  "Ask a pink hat" was a segment on Boston's sports radio in which EXTREMELY self righteous Red Sox fans made fun of girls who came to the games but didn't know anything about baseball.  On the surface it was kind of funny, but I could never help thinking about how the two overweight, middle aged, talk show hosts would gladly exchange their press passes or season tickets for one night with the "pink hats".  Here's a link to the "pink hat" segment.  Listen to it, it's fairly humorous, but take it with a grain of salt.  I'd gladly wager my paycheck that most of these "true fans" do something equally superficial on a daily basis if anyone were to hold them under the same sort of microscope. 

Edited by kipwinger, 11 January 2013 - 02:42 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#51 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

i hear you loud and clear!

as everyone knows...albuquerque is a HOTBED of hockey players/fans as well...so when i see a jersey, ( any team except pens, and avalanche) i give them a nod of understanding/chat.

but for the record i have seen 1 whaler jersey, 1 senator jersey,1 sabres,2 blues, 2 kings, a few stars,pens,avalanche, and an ass load of WINGS!

so the red is rocking the desert fo-shur.

I even talk to the Pens and Avs fans.  If the Avs fans remember the rivalry, they've been around long enough to talk real hockey.  Likewise if the Pens fans remember the back-to-back cups.

It makes it convenient for me.  All I have to do is say, "So what did you think of Lemioux?"

Well.........  ;)

I always delight in conversation with women of impeccable taste.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#52 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

They are most certainly not sellouts in name only. The empty seats one sees in the lower bowl are corporate types who didn't show up. The upper bowl, which is rarely shown, is always full.

As for the difficulty in selling out early playoff games, this has been an issue since 2007... and the Wings were at the top of the league back then. It makes no sense for you to first say that the difficulty selling out playoff games indicates troubles when, in fact, the Wings were a tremendously good team when this began happening. Perhaps you should take into account the fact that the past six years have constituted one of the worst economic periods

Has nothing to do with the economy.  Look at the Tigers or U-M football.  So you're telling me when Ken and Mickey are trumpeting that tickets are still available for games a day away that a thousaind people run out and buy them?  Hardly.  They're not running all these silly specials like Hot Dog night and what not because tickets are selling like hot cakes.  They're not selling because the fans have become bored with being a good consistent team.  They want the Cup every year and if they don't win, it's considered a failure of a season. 

One only needs to look a few miles north to Auburn Hills and see what happened with the Pistons.  The Wings are headed in that direction.  Fans are already losing interest and a year or two or not making the playoffs will see the JLA turn into a ghost town, much like the Palace. 

#53 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Jealous, are we?  Your team is not worth supporting?  Jeez, people, if you listen to this crap, you're pretty gullible.

Posted Image

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Kira" data-cid="2339237" data-time="1357919541"><p>
Jealous, are we?  Your team is not worth supporting?  Jeez, people, if you listen to this crap, you're pretty gullible.</p></blockquote>

Agreed. Jealousy leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.